oh for pity's sake! Outdoor Geos and stratospheric prices
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:51 pm 

Just lost a second auction for the Outdoor geomorphs - get this, for a set that has been CUT APART... it sold for $155!!!!!!!!!

Who is bidding these things up, a bunch of deranged crack whores????

If it hasn't already been done, someone ought to notate the significantly higher prices on the valuation board (the current price is $160 for a "mint" condition 1st print copy; this and the last Collector's Trove auction for $150 in good condition seem a bit out of sinc...)

Not really too disappointed, but just astonished at the prices these items are fetching... I guess they are ***REALLY*** popular.

Congrats to the winners (even if I think they're fracking nuts). My only consolation was that I beat out Grodog and Blackmoor 8)

I have a request, though, of anyone who has a complete copy of this: would it be possible to pass along a scan of the hand drawing Gygax did of the City of Greyhawk? I am really, really curious as to what it looks like - indeed, this has been the primary reason that I have bid on these Outdoor geomorphs auctions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:10 pm 

Hiya Charles G.---

I'm not that hard to outbid, just ask 70% of the board ;)

I'll be selling an Outdoor Geos after my books arrive back in KS from CA, so I'll let you (and the rest of the board) know when they're available.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:14 pm 

grodog wrote:I'm not that hard to outbid, just ask 70% of the board ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charles G. wrote:Just lost a second auction for the Outdoor geomorphs - get this, for a set that has been CUT APART... it sold for $155!!!!!!!!!

I quite liked the end price of that auction. 8)

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:28 pm 

If it is any consulation, I had no part in this one. :P Seriously though, being that they are cut up and they still actually netted more than stormber's uncut ones is a bit silly. :?  Them being cut up is the reason why I did not bid anything on this auction. To me, cut up "anything" makes the item almost valueless, even if that was its intended purpose was.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:42 pm 

I though I put in a good bid considering they were cut up!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I though I put in a good bid considering they we cut up!

J

i was watching that auction and had every intention of actually bidding in the last min or so, til i saw its price and nearly had a seizure!! wow!

they are certainly very popular them.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:07 pm 

They are a rarity. Mind you, if you look at the bid history, there were two bidders who threw in a last minute 'catch all' bid, and that's why they topped $80.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 pm 

I suspect the price will get higher as people start to realize just how rare they are.  Especially in uncut condition.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:13 pm 

I really only want them to see what the stuff on Greyhawk. I had hoped that the cut up copy would go for a more reasonable price. Guess I should have bid on the intact ones!

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:14 pm 

Marlith wrote:I really only want them to see what the stuff on Greyhawk. I had hoped that the cut up copy would go for a more reasonable price. Guess I should have bid on the intact ones!

Ha! Not that it would have helped - the intact one was only $5 less! I think people have figured out that they are kinda rare...

I guess it's all right - geos are not truly my thing. I just wanted them for the Greyhawk info, and maybe a Dungeon Set 1-3 to complete my old Basic boxed set.

Fortunately, most of the raw Greyhawk data is available through Grodog on his site.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:05 pm 

OK, occasionally I get caught up on things that border the outer realms of good taste. I did laugh out loud when I got the vision of frenzied crack smoking, well...you know what, bidding frantically on D&D.  :lol:

Seriously though, all items tend to go through price spikes now and again. Be patient and another will come along. If you own one....help a guy out and put it up for sale. Add some supply to the demand.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:32 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:

OK, occasionally I get caught up on things that border the outer realms of good taste. I did laugh out loud when I got the vision of frenzied crack smoking, well...you know what, bidding frantically on D&D. :lol:

Seriously though, all items tend to go through price spikes now and again. Be patient and another will come along. If you own one....help a guy out and put it up for sale. Add some supply to the demand. :wink:

Even I get surprised....just checked out the prices on some of Geomendezd SW stuff....I about crapped myself.....$100+ for N4 in SW?  And the auction still has a few days to go?  WTF!!!!  These SW items also caused some double takes:

MV1---$63

XS2---$66

OP1---$76

B5---$76

B6---$79

B7 Rahasia---$80

AC3---$90

Needless to say my SW stuff is about to go out the door as soon as Christmas is over and everyone has some holiday cash in hand......

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:34 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:

OK, occasionally I get caught up on things that border the outer realms of good taste. I did laugh out loud when I got the vision of frenzied crack smoking, well...you know what, bidding frantically on D&D. :lol:

Seriously though, all items tend to go through price spikes now and again. Be patient and another will come along. If you own one....help a guy out and put it up for sale. Add some supply to the demand. :wink:

Even I get surprised....just checked out the prices on some of Geomendezd SW stuff....I about crapped myself.....$100+ for N4 in SW? And the auction still has a few days to go? WTF!!!! These SW items also caused some double takes:

MV1---$63

XS2---$66

OP1---$76

B5---$76

B6---$79

B7 Rahasia---$80

AC3---$90

Needless to say my SW stuff is about to go out the door as soon as Christmas is over and everyone has some holiday cash in hand......

Mike B.

Mike, you must have missed the previous shrinked Q1 that went for $193.00, and no that is not a typo.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Badmike wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:

Even I get surprised....just checked out the prices on some of Geomendezd SW stuff....I about crapped myself.....$100+ for N4 in SW? And the auction still has a few days to go? WTF!!!! These SW items also caused some double takes:

MV1---$63

XS2---$66

OP1---$76

B5---$76

B6---$79

B7 Rahasia---$80

AC3---$90

Mike B.

Mike, you must have missed the previous shrinked Q1 that went for $193.00, and no that is not a typo.

I just loaded my .38 for a little "SW Roulette" here reading that....I let my SW Q1 go for something like a $30 BIN last year.....gulp.  Guess I better get back here and start paying attention more often.  If you grind up these modules with the SW still on and snort the dust, does it add inches to your manhood or something?  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:43 pm 

Jebus, just when I was getting over the crackwhores here comes the growth hormone!  :lol:

I can't believe price spikes before xmas. This is usually a buyers market this time of year and one of teh best at that.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I just loaded my .38 for a little "SW Roulette" here reading that....I let my SW Q1 go for something like a $30 BIN last year.....gulp. Guess I better get back here and start paying attention more often. If you grind up these modules with the SW still on and snort the dust, does it add inches to your manhood or something?

Mike B.

It is actually only as couple of bidders causing the outrageous prices on SW stuff right now. One is a European bidder named fondin, and the other is a Candian bidder with the name of empoweredguy. Empoweredguy refuses to get outbid regardless of the auction total. At the exact same time this guy is winning a SW Q1 for $192, David<harami2000> is winning a SS OCE set for like ~$150. Go figure. :?  I mean he is a good buyer(he bought some from me about a month or so ago), he pays right away with no problems or hassels, but he just doesnt understand the concept of it being okay to be outbid every once in awhile because there will be other.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:48 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Jebus, just when I was getting over the crackwhores here comes the growth hormone! :lol:

I can't believe price spikes before xmas. This is usually a buyers market this time of year and one of teh best at that.

Adam, question for you.  How is that G2(squared) homebrew module that you won back in the spring. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:50 pm 

FWIW< here is the auction listing for the SW Q1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-AD ... dZViewItem

8O

Next