Best method for storing a hardback collection
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:57 am 

Hello all :-)

I'm just getting started in collecting, and wanted to know how other collectors store thier hardback books (PHB, DMG, MM Etc..).  I know for mod's the mylar comic book type bags with backer boards is the best, but is there baggies that can fit hardbacks?  I've kept my on a bookcase up until now, but know that that is how corners get bent, and rub marks happen on the edges.    Thanks for your input!

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 am 

Hello BabyDragon,

Welcome to the Acaeum Forums.  I do not do anything special with these.  They are stored with the open-end down in a box.  I have seen some big baggies but I think they are ackward at best.  I should say that none of my hardbacks (including 2 true 1st prints DMG) are in any condition I worry about getting worse.

Come on Acaeum regulars lets get some better advice for this new member!

Martin

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:32 am 

I bag all of them, unless they are playing copies, and store them binding up in a box. I'll generally store the hardbacks together, if I have enough of them. Otherwise I'll store them on the ends of a box with softcovers in the middle.

Here's a link to the bags that work for most hardback books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-1-PACK-SHEET-MU ... dZViewItem

Here are some for smaller box sets and larger hardbacks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-1-PACK-TREASURY ... dZViewItem

The sheet music bags work perfectly for most hardbacks.  The treasury size bags work well for most of your typical box sets but will need adjusted (taped) for the bigger hardbacks.  I haven't found a bag for the larger box sets yet but there probably is one out there.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:49 am 

Prufrock wrote:I should say that none of my hardbacks (including 2 true 1st prints DMG) are in any condition I worry about getting worse.

Come on Acaeum regulars lets get some better advice for this new member!

Martin

Actually I agree with you, Martin.  Unless you have something rare and in good condition to begin with, there isn't much point in getting fancy.  

Orange spines can sit on a shelf for years without accumulating wear...and all the early stuff I have comes "pre-worn for authenticity", anyway. ;)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:41 pm 

dbartman wrote:I bag all of them, unless they are playing copies, and store them binding up in a box. I'll generally store the hardbacks together, if I have enough of them. Otherwise I'll store them on the ends of a box with softcovers in the middle.

Here's a link to the bags that work for most hardback books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-1-PACK-SHEET-MU ... dZViewItem

Here are some for smaller box sets and larger hardbacks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-1-PACK-TREASURY ... dZViewItem

The sheet music bags work perfectly for most hardbacks. The treasury size bags work well for most of your typical box sets but will need adjusted (taped) for the bigger hardbacks. I haven't found a bag for the larger box sets yet but there probably is one out there.

Check out Life magazine size bags - I haven't tried them, but they are a bit bigger than the Treasury comic size.  Clemonster (same seller you just listed) has them as well.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:12 pm 

I should say that none of my hardbacks (including 2 true 1st prints DMG) are in any condition I worry about getting worse.

You're right Prufrock, they probably aren't going to get anymore wear then they already have.  Unless I get a near mint 1st printing of the PHB or DMG I think I'll avoid the bags.  I'm getting a complete yellowback collection and some early (don't know what printing) DMG/PHB/MM/and Deities and Demigods from ebay this week.  I got a little bid happy and spent all my christmas bonus the second I got it :-)

I think I bought from everybody here in the forums, keep seeing the same screen names here as on ebay.  If so, you guys are great merchants, and I can't wait til I get my goodies.

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:12 am 

Because I'm  obsessive about bagging everything I own/sell just right, I've finally purchased a pack of Life Magazine bags.  

They are 11 1/8" x 15 1/8" and work well on all the "Mid-Size" box sets.  However, they still don't fit the very large (i.e. Planescape sized) ones.

So, to sum up I now have for storage purposes:

- Regular comic Bags (i.e. Traveller & OD&D)

- Silver Age comic sized bags. (i.e. Wizard's Spell Compendium)

- Thick Magazine sized bags (i.e. Modules and most accessory books)

- Sheet Music sized bags (Hardcover & large softcover books and thin boxed sets)

- Treasury Comics (Small boxed Sets: i.e. Basic, Expert and Spelljammer)

- Life Magazine Bags (Mid-sized box sets: Council of Wyrms, Hellbound)

- A collection of Bags from the Pharmacy where I worked (they held prescription labels) - All large Box Sets (i.e. Planes of Conflict & Law, Menzoberranzan)

- A collection of bags from everytime we purchase an appliance or whatever . . .  (i.e. Landscape sized D&D games)

:roll:

I'm stupid . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:10 am 

Where do you get the Sheet Music sized bags? (I've used the links you provided in the past for magazine style bags, plus other supplies..but can't seem to find the links anymore)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:20 am 

The seller's name is clemonster and his store is the Comic Zone

eBay listings

I just noticed, that he has Original Comic Art bags that measure

12 1/4" x 18 1/4"  . . .  those would fit the largest size box set . . . but kinda expensive . . .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:39 am 

otoh I get stuff from BagsUnlimited.com

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:33 pm 

ExTSR wrote:otoh I get stuff from BagsUnlimited.com

Pricing is not bad.  Nice selection too.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:21 pm 

dbartman wrote:
Pricing is not bad.  Nice selection too.

I've checked out Bags Unlimited, but they are quite expensive in comparison.  For instance, 100 Treasury Bags are $14.70 for 2 mil thickness (plus whatever shipping charges).

The Comic Zone (ebay store) has 100 2.4 mil Treasury Bags for $6.75 plus $5.50 shipping ($12.25).  The brand is different (FunYet vs. BagsUnlimited, but I notice no difference).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:15 pm 

Regarding hardcovers, it's not recommended to store the books on their long edge (spine up or spine down) as that puts added pressure on the text block and can cause warping.  I had it happen with my MERP 2d Edition Collector's Edition hardcover.  The best way to store books is to stand them up in the box or tote.  As an alternative, lay them flat atop each other.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:34 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
I've checked out Bags Unlimited, but they are quite expensive in comparison.  For instance, 100 Treasury Bags are $14.70 for 2 mil thickness (plus whatever shipping charges).

The Comic Zone (ebay store) has 100 2.4 mil Treasury Bags for $6.75 plus $5.50 shipping ($12.25).  The brand is different (FunYet vs. BagsUnlimited, but I notice no difference).

I can't disagree.  I usually buy my bags from The Comic Zone.  BagsUnlimited.com is a little more expensive, but shipping is supposedly included.  They seem to have a lot of different supplies to choose from too.