Keith Parkinson has passed away!  :(
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:34 pm 

Hi everyone,

I just found this news on both R.A. Salvatore's site and the Wizards site, and thought I'd wander over here to bear the sad news...

Was wondering if anyone knew of any specifics regarding what happened to Mr. Parkinson?  I didn't know how old he was, etc., but this marks the second passing of a major TSR artist this year...

Best,

John

aka Wandering Monster :cry:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:39 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=2890&lighter=parkinson

:)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:44 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the link directing me to this discussion thread -- I didn't realize that this was "old news" and had already been talked about.

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:49 pm 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the link directing me to this discussion thread -- I didn't realize that this was "old news" and had already been talked about.

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster

Oh no problem. :wink:   It had actually been pushed on to the next page, so a very easy mistake to be made.  FWIW, it is very sad news though. :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:11 pm 

Geez! It seems like they're dropping like flies ATM.  :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:12 pm 

Hello all,

Just came across his official web site -- only 47!  What a terrible shame... And I guess that means that he started doing work for TSR when he was in his 20's!

I feel awkward saying this, but his painting style was not my favourite of the stable of TSR artistes.  It always looked a bit, I dunno, blocky for my tastes.  And I never cared for the " '80s bikini babe" look he made for the drow on the cover of GDQ1-7, although the golem-like fire giants were a nice touch.  I always preferred the outre work of Erol Otus, or Clyde Caldwell and Larry Elmore's stuff.

Still, he was quite a talented fellow, and I'm sad that he's gone from us at an appallingly early age!

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster