Titan Games Rares
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:46 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:
Oh, man ... if I didn't know better, I'd think you were making that one up. :)

oh believe me thats the honest truth. they were asking top notch price for it at the time too, $19.99 plus $23 shipping, $42.99 for one sheet of paper....er no thanks.

Al

Would that be JGJ#1?

yup

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:22 am 

That's $9 shipping and handling and $14 profit. They're saving up for plastic surgery for Tanya.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:26 am 

My (recent, and last ever) Titan experience:

Emailed them and told them I had a worn but still "firm" copy of The Sword and the Dagger (rare OOP Battletech novel).  I wanted to try and get at least $20-$30, since Titan sells 'em for $90-$100 each.

Their response?

"WELL WE USUALLY BUY PAPERBACKS FOR $.75 EACH..."

No.  Dude: Sword and Dagger.

:roll:

At Gamefest 04, these butterknives were selling red flyleaf MM1's in good condition for $19, and moderate copies of Manual of the Planes for $50-$60.

Nooooo thanks Titan.

In the future when I "need" OOP I'll buy from SVGames or Nobleknight.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:34 pm 

Well, my experience with Titan was indirectly good. I was offered a NM tourney Inverness for $250, since that was what Titan was willing to give in TRADE VALUE, and I was paying cash.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:06 pm 

I've never dealt w/ them on eBay, but I can say I LAUGHED my ass off at GenCon '05, looking at the prices for oop stuff they had after having been a member here for less than a year.  :lol:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Titan: 2 modules $6 - Airmail Letter Post 6 lbs to UK $33 - GFY Tight Ass Games!

Tight Ass Games always makes me giggle...ALWAYS.

In the interests of full disclosure, I made a purchase from Titan this month, I bought their SW copy of RPGA figure set #1 they had for $45.  I had just sold a copy from my website for $125 last month, which I think is a fair price because IMO this is a SEVERELY undervalued AD&D collectible.  They were sold with RPGA3 through mail order only and no place else.  I've seen three times as many RPGA3's go up on Ebay the last few years as I've seen the figure sets that were supposed to go with it.  So to make a long story short, I thought this was a pretty fair price for the item and decided to get an extra copy.  For mentioning the Acaeum, I got a FREE box of TSR minis.  Shipping I don't remember but it was actually reasonable for priority mail....and the package arrived quickly.  The RPGA figure set was indeed SW and in nice shape, and the extra box of figures, well it's one of those gawd awful TSR sets of the mid 80's (Monks, Bards and Thieves) but hell it was free AND the boxes in these sets are by far the best miniature boxes ever sold (I still have a couple that are 20+ years old that I still used to hold figures). All together a very nice experience.  

Once again, if you have read my posts before I'm by far NOT a Titans Game apologist, but this transaction turned out well.  I would never sell them anything or buy from them on Ebay but I might check out their sales lists occassionally after this positive experience.

I would also like to say I think whoever is running their used game dept is doing a much better job of pricing....compare the prices now for older TSR stuff to prices say two years ago...now those were laughable, in the insane Joker laughable way...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:59 pm 

From the Classified Forum (to which one cannot reply, sadly enough...)

old_sardul wrote:I've read the thread devoted to Titan Games with great interest. Please keep the comments coming, for how will we ever improve our services without the valuable feedback you provide?

(No stomping on me for trying to be nice, you guys!)  :)

Dear Mr. Sardul,

You asked for our feedback, so please allow me to reiterate some key points.  

1.  I would humbly suggest a more succinct Classified post might benefit both your potential customers and yourself.  They're simply too long, people drift off.  Specifically, you might want to focus on some of your older and rarer stock, as this is largely a collecting community, not a playing one.  :wink:

2.  Consider posting a comment or two regarding any of the many fascinating discussion threads featured in the forums.  You are giving the impression that you're simply using the forums as "free advertising", which doesn't sit well with many.

3.  Many people here have had difficulties dealing with your organizations in the past.  Please take their considerations to heart, and attempt to modify whatever business practices are causing these concerns.  It's for your benefit and theirs.

Sincerely,

deimos3428

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:03 pm 

4. Don't forget the porking on shipping. 8O  How about a more realistic/honest  shipping price.   :!:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:09 pm 

My question about Titan's list would be

"why in the world would you list D20 products on this site?"

Most people, even the ones who play D20 system games including 3.5, are not going to come to this site to find D20 products they want.  They are looking for OOP and rare TSR and Non-TSR merchandise.  We aren't going to by a used copy of the "Complete Warrior", so why not cull those items from the list?

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:36 pm 

Thank you all for your well-reasoned comments!

The updates are indeed too long, and not specifically directed at the elite collecting community represented here. Starting this Friday I shall edit the site update - removing any non-roleplaying items first and then what? leave only TSR? take out non-D&D items entirely? Let me know please!

As for posting elsewhere on the Forum during business hours, I am constrained by the very nature of my employment. There are dozens of tasks to be done at Titan Games at any given time, and Marcus is a stern taskmaster indeed! Idle forum reading, much less responding, is capable of drawing a sharp reprimand! So then, a post such as this one must be made at home. I'll write a post for the intro thread too this evening, time permitting.

And as for official Titan Games policies, please think of me as your intermediary, a vizier as it were, to Marcus' Sultan. Should any difficulties arise during or after a transaction I will do everything in my power to make it right.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:33 am 

As regards the Clasified ads' why not list all products published before say 1990 or 1995? It would remove the bulk of the common items published thereafter, and would still reflect the fact that you have a diverse range.

As regards your shipping policies, you need to accept that fact that you have International Customers, or justify  the fact that you dislike International Customers and have chozen to persecute them. There is no way you can justify charging $23 to ship a single folded sheet of paper to the United Kingdom. There is no way you can justify charging $33 to ship a pair of regular $2.99 modules to the United Kingdom. The conclusion we must reach is that you are persecuting non-US customers for personal or political reasons. That clearly is not business oriented and reflects badly on your organisation.

We note in your breif response that you have chosen not to answer any of the comments made. Do you inted to address these comments or is your post political?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:56 am 

i have to say, there have been any number of times that i would have certainly bought from titan games, but have been VERY put off with the shipping charges.

as you/they buy from others and re-sell, with a very decent profit, is there any need to totally inflate the shipping/handling the way you do?

if there was a lot more sense around that, then you would find a lot more international business coming your way, i am pretty sure.

the other thing i notice very often, is the condition of items. i have had things in the past, where the actual condition is nothing like the condition that is listed. a little more honesty in that department, would gain more confidence from others buying too.

just my $0.02

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:38 am 

A few comments... Just so everyone is clear, there are several departments here at Titan Games and mine is the actual titangames.com website. The ebay people work on their own. This is of interest when considering the grading of products as mentioned here:

the other thing i notice very often, is the condition of items. i have had things in the past, where the actual condition is nothing like the condition that is listed. a little more honesty in that department, would gain more confidence from others buying too.

I stand by my own grading of course and will constantly seek to improve the quality of my comrades' grading. Of our two sellers, the current titangames seller is by far the most experienced.

As for this:

We note in your breif response that you have chosen not to answer any of the comments made. Do you inted to address these comments or is your post political?

I wonder what my earlier post was addressing then if not the comments made. Oh well. As for a sinister political motive you will just have to decide for yourself. I would be pleased to continue this conversation at such a forum site as http://www.thevhive.com/ where I frequent the "V" , the "New Medievalism" and sundry other forums.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:23 am 

Old_Sardul wrote:

I stand by my own grading of course and will constantly seek to improve the quality of my comrades' grading. Of our two sellers, the current titangames seller is by far the most experienced.

With all due respect then can you explain how your senior grader can grade a module such as this in Very Fine condtion?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-9035-Q1-Queen-o ... dZViewItem

Even the most loose grader I have ever seen would never grade an item this poor in Very Fine condition. This module in particular has heavy wear, writing in pen, and black electrical tape on the binding. This module is in Good condition at best, and a lot of sellers I know would grade this in Fair or Poor condtion. This is also not the first time I have seen gradings from him that were far and away from what they should be. Even using his own link to Titan Games website for grading, this falls far below what Very Fine would be on that grading scale. Obviously, you can not necessarily control everything that Titan Games does, but it is examples like this that has really soured the hardcore collecting community. Like I said I am not trying to be a d*ck or anything and I can understand a desire to make money for your company, but this to me is completely dishonest.

Additionally, as addressed by others already, but the shipping costs are very sore spot as well, because of the fact that buyers are paying 3 sometimes 4 times what actual shipping costs are. I can understand wanting to cover actual postage and also wanting to cover packaging expenses themselves, and I can even understand wanting to cover some of your Ebay fees through your shipping as well, but $4.65 to ship 1 module via Media Mail is a bit excessive.  Pesonally, I know that I would rather see an auction start out at $5.99 with a $2.00 shipping cost, than I would see a $2.99 auction with a $4.65 shipping cost and I can tellypu many others all feel the same way. The $4.65 shipping cost for Media Mail is veiwed for what amounts to a money grab looking to take advantage of buyers. Also, when taking into consideration international buyers, I am not saying that Titan's shipping costs are politically motivated or not, but $12 or $14 profit on shipping costs is pretty insulting and seemingly very greedy.

<edited due to some serious spelling and grammatical errors  :roll: >

This is what happens when you dont focus on what the hell you are typing in an attempt to get it done quickly.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:40 pm 

The purpose of the business is to make money. If that means lying in your item description then that seems to be good for business. Tight Ass Games appear to operate on the basis that some mug will buy it so stick it on eBay. If that were a junior maybe it would have been described as 'near mint with a sticker on the cover'.

And yes, Old Sad Sod, your response to my last question proves my point. You have not explained any of your policy decisions. You have tried to feed us shit by say 'its not my fault', 'I can't do anything about it', 'me not speek English'.

2 simple questions....

1. Please explain how it costs $33 in shipping charges, to move 2 basic modules from your business to a UK customer.

2. Please explain what 'very fine condition' means to Titan Games.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
2 simple questions....

1. Please explain how it costs $33 in shipping charges, to move 2 basic modules from your business to a UK customer.

2. Please explain what 'very fine condition' means to Titan Games.

hehe hey ian take a pill chummer, before you huperventilate :)

i might not have commented in such a direct way, but he does have relevant points that need addressing.

it would be nice to hear an honest, direct reply, not one that would make a politician proud.

IF the "ebay" departments are just hammering their charges into the shipping, then fair enough. i am not going to criticise, but i would rather someone be very honest and just come out and say it, instead of hedging around it. and tbh, you dont really need to say, as the truth is there already for all to see. but i would have a lot more respect for someone to stand there and admit it, than one who will just fob your question with a nonsense answer.

i have no problem anyone charging handling, so long as it is fair and sensible.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:13 pm 

Wow, looks like he's gonna need a tower shield to defend against all these attackers.

Guys, if Old_Sardhole wants to charge $33 to ship to the UK, so what? He wouldn't be the first reseller to try greasing a buyer's brown onion on shipping. Personally I never charge "handling" charges, I think it's a crock of shit. To me, the minimal effort of having to pack something is part of the duties of selling. USPS Priority materials are free, so if an item is going that way, there is no need to charge for materials.

The solution is really very simple: Don't buy from him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Wow, looks like he's gonna need a tower shield to defend against all these attackers.

Guys, if Old_Sardhole wants to charge $33 to ship to the UK, so what? He wouldn't be the first reseller to try greasing a buyer's brown onion on shipping. Personally I never charge "handling" charges, I think it's a crock of shit. To me, the minimal effort of having to pack something is part of the duties of selling. USPS Priority materials are free, so if an item is going that way, there is no need to charge for materials.

The solution is really very simple: Don't buy from him.

I totally agree, speak with your wallet or lack there of.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext