With friends like this . . .
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:37 am 

I think it's one of the lowest things someone could do.

For one thing poeple already sweat on an auction, even without BINs involved. Now people have to sweat even more on whether they'll actually recieve the item due to these tactics  8O

On top of posts that identify copyright infringers, and shady dealers we should have a thread for "Downright D**kheads", where we can list these guys.

There's some pretty smart people in this community, and I'm sure someone would be able to work out who it may be even if it's a fake ID, and it may disuade lurkers who may use the forum to help them in this sort of thing.

Definitely on the positive side BIG KUDOS to a very honest seller who didn't listen.

Can't wait for it to go on the block, too!  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:22 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:If I were you, Breach, I'd ask the guy for the e-mail addresses/eBay names of the solicitors.

I agree with DL here. I think you have a right to know. What you do with the info is up to you.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:32 am 

Breach, I just wanted to say thanks again for the free stuff you've sent me (twice and at your own cost for shipping).  You've certainly been a positive presence here at the Acaeum and don't deserve this kind harassment from persons unknown. It's probably just a lurker that doesn't post, particularly someone with a grudge against the group.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:23 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:I think it's one of the lowest things someone could do.

For one thing poeple already sweat on an auction, even without BINs involved. Now people have to sweat even more on whether they'll actually recieve the item due to these tactics 8O

On top of posts that identify copyright infringers, and shady dealers we should have a thread for "Downright D**kheads", where we can list these guys.

There's some pretty smart people in this community, and I'm sure someone would be able to work out who it may be even if it's a fake ID, and it may disuade lurkers who may use the forum to help them in this sort of thing.

Definitely on the positive side BIG KUDOS to a very honest seller who didn't listen.

Have to agree with this. What's happened to you & the seller is totally unfair.

I really hope what's happened doesn't mean you'll post less here (and I really hope it isn't anyone from here who is guilty of this behaviour). It would be too bad if this sort of behaviour made this a more closed community with people less willing to share information, ideas, auctions etc. It's the very reason I love this site - everyone here seems to be pretty open & genuine, where the love of the game prevails above petty rules squabbling which you find on so many other D&D sites.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:29 pm 

Nah, I am sure I won't steer clear from the Acaeum because of it.  I should have known better than to post it on the Recent Fun Finds thread until after the deal was done.  

I guess I got a little excited  :oops:   . . .  and I figured it would be found out soon enough anyway.  

Oh well, as I said "lesson learned".  Next time I snag an artifact for a great price, I'll keep it quiet for a little bit  :D  :D  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:13 pm 

Sorry to be the Grim Raven of Doom, Breach. I just didn't want to see happen, well, exactly what happened. I wasn't trying to be a jerk when I advised you against posting things like that.
I think if it were investigated, you would obviously find that it was definitely someone who at least visits the Acaeum. There is no way anyone else would have even FOUND that auction, let alone known what it was.
Collecting has fallen on hard times, indeed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:15 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:It's probably just a lurker that doesn't post, particularly someone with a grudge against the group.

I think the same as you, zhowar, even if I am sure that a large majority of lurkers are gentlemen, there are always some people with less morality -it's not exactly the term I wanted, but...- The forum could be seen as a tool or as a community.

Does anybody have an idea of the trafic on the forum, including people who are not registred ? How many visitors a day ?

And respect to the seller !

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:26 pm 

I bet they where all powersellers   :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:14 pm 

jaz000 wrote:I bet they where all powersellers  :?

i hope youre not referring to persons on this site with that comment?  if you are, i would appreciate it if you dont generalise so much thanks  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:53 pm 

These sorts of things just end in tears. Clearly, BtB did not intend any misgivings as he lobbed a bid on the item that happened to become the BIN set by the seller. No harm in this at all.

The original crux of the discussion in the recent fun finds thread was over whether the seller was coerced into setting a low BIN amount by an unscrupulous ebayer....or even member of this forum. That matter was cleared by Brette himself as it appears he did the legwork on this item.

It is my opinion, that the seller would have been better served letting the auction mature to its natural ending. The seller would clearly have made more money as we are about to witness should BtB put it back up for auction. Why the seller is upset with 'additional offers' on this item is beyond me. This is meant to no offense to anyone here in particular. It is merely an observation.

ETA: I feel compelled to add that I didnt contact that seller. I find the ethics of the matter to be interesting and that is the extent of my involvment.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:26 am 

I am not a power player at all...not able to bid with the big dogs.  

However, I would like to note some positive things....

First, the seller did not take the shady offers.

Second, the shady dealers on Ebay are the exception, not the norm.

A couple of people on this site have given me great deals, and/or outright gifts.  I have bought from a number of the others on this forum in Ebay auctions and have had uniform good experiences...including from Titan Games.

Even Jesus had a couple of jerks in his Twelve Disciples...but that did not make the rest of them jerks.

In the past year or so on Ebay I have encountered only one real shady dealer (picture did not match the item for sale).  

Aside from the annoying seller tactic of witholding positive feedback even after I have paid and done my part...the overwhelming number of online contacts and buying experiences have been entirely positive.

There are a lot more positive things happening on this website than negative things.

Anyway... 8)

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 am 

Wow,

I'm sorry to hear about these type of actions.  I agree with not asking the seller for ID's.  It would just turn a 'sad' event into something that could really be devisive to the Acaeum community.  We have to hope that the person(s) that did this learns that this is not acceptable and corrects his behavior.  

I hope we all (and I know that most of us do) value the Acaeum community more than a Pharaoh.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:24 am 

Frankly, I think this kind of thing clearly had to be expected and I don't think whoever did it will do any different next time. If I was Paul (who IMO is one of the most reputable sellers on eBay), I'd ask for the names and keep them for myself. Know your enemies!

Good to hear that your gave the seller someting extra BTW. I would not have expected any different anyway.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 am 

Prufrock wrote:Wow,

I'm sorry to hear about these type of actions. I agree with not asking the seller for ID's. It would just turn a 'sad' event into something that could really be devisive to the Acaeum community. We have to hope that the person(s) that did this learns that this is not acceptable and corrects his behavior.

I hope we all (and I know that most of us do) value the Acaeum community more than a Pharaoh.

Martin

I am not a detective and I do not play one on TV. But, I have to believe the person(s) responsible for the attempt are not regulars. I am not the most internet savy guy around - I still have not figured out how to post my images on that cool favorite three pics thread - but whoever made the suggestion to the seller must have known his name would or could get out. They can't hide their email address, right?

So what we have is someone who probably could care less if they got exposed. The fervor to get that module had to be more important to the culprit than being a member of this forum. Which again, leads me to think it was not a regular member.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Previous