With friends like this . . .
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:38 pm 

Hi everyone,

Well, I received the Pharaoh that I won today . . . thanks to an honest seller who follows through with their sales.  I guess I'm a little pissed off right now, so I am probably writing this angry . . . but what the heck . . .  

To cut right to the point - the seller wrote me a message that they enclosed:

" . . . Anyway, now that this is out of the way, could you please tell me what the big deal is about this module?  Personally, I've played it before and from what I remember, it was only OK.  By the way, some of your compatriots in the collecting community tried VERY HARD to convince me to cancel the deal, eat the negative feedback and put it back up for auction.  I would never do that, but you might watch your back.  Quite frankly, I've been lugging this box of stuff around for 20 years and was going to throw it all away if none of it sold.  I don't really care about the "True value" vs. what you paid controversy which seems to have arisen (like I said, some other people REALLY wanted it), I'd just like to know what the deal is with it.  Anyway, hope you enjoy it."

Wow . . . how embarrassing for those couple of people who just had to have it.  Pathetic . . .

but hey, that's just my opinion.  I am sure they are chomping at the bit to post to this thread and justify their actions . . . oh, wait, no I guess they'd probably be too embarrassed to do that as well.

Me, I'm embarrassed too . . . I have to email this guy back and explain that I am, indeed, an adult, and the actions of a few people should not reflect on the community at large.  I guess this is fair warning for everyone then . . . even if you win something legitimately with BIN, expect a few others to be too jealous to let it go . . .

I realize that this is just a few individuals, but I really am a little disillusioned.  (You guys should have just PM'ed me in the first place . . . I'm going to sell the damn thing anyway . . .    :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:51 pm 

Paul, FWIW, I am embarassed for the comminuty as well. I received similar correspondance from the seller and he was also a little disillusioned about some of the correspndance that he received from interested third parties. :roll: I think that is a shame that people would go out of thier way to try to screw someone over like that, particularly when it was clear that you were not even involved in the setting of the BIN in the 1st place. Whoever did this to yourself and the seller should be flat out fucking ashamed of themselves because of the fact that you really cant get much more patheic than that. I would hope that whoever did it at least has the fortitude to stand up and say it was them, but like you stated I am sure it will not be happening.

Speaking for myself, the thing that I find even more disturbing is the fact that you in particular have been VERY GENEROUS with the comminuty in the past and I think that makes this situation even worse.  :evil: The best word I can say is.... PATHETIC!

I guess the real question is does anyone have the fucking balls to stand up and admit to their actions???

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:03 pm 

That's what I was afraid of... I'll put my hand up and say that it wasn't me... easy come easy go... although.. you are selling it righht? :twisted:

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:13 pm 

Seems to me that Frank is right more that I realized.  So much for the community.....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:35 pm 

well i dont even know why i am writing this, it should be well known that i would never do something like this.

i feel quite sad that some ppl would go to this extent to get something?

ya know. there is lots more to life than just stupid feckin books that might be worth oodles of dosh.

would i like one of them Pharaoh's? sure. would i go to that extent for it? never. i have a reasonably good reputation and that means more to me than a stupid book.

i have to say, i am shocked that someone from here, would go to this extent to try to shanghai BTB's win. have you no pride??!!

a very very sad moment.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:15 pm 

This is like a terrorist attack. Now everyone is jumpy and looking over their shoulders for the next incoming strike.  Whoever did this will definitely never admit to it in the open and will just adopt a secret ID, then claim ownership of the deed (like a terrorist...typical coward)!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:19 pm 

I wasn't trying to be a dick when I said keep your mouth shut. It's happened to me several times. I think if you look back a few months, I posted about how low the RPG collecting state has fallen, and it is part of the reason I'm out of it. Way too many shady tactics going on for me to feel comfortable.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:21 pm 

If I were you, Breach, I'd ask the guy for the e-mail addresses/eBay names of the solicitors.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:07 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I wasn't trying to be a dick when I said keep your mouth shut. It's happened to me several times. I think if you look back a few months, I posted about how low the RPG collecting state has fallen, and it is part of the reason I'm out of it. Way too many shady tactics going on for me to feel comfortable.

It's been attempted on me by someone several times, though not recently.   Both times I purchased a But It Now of a large lot for a reasonable price, and both times someone emailed the seller to either tell him they would give him $100 more than the price I paid if they would just cancel the sale, or the other time tried to get 1-2 items out of the lot and told the seller to tell me he had made a mistake and they weren't actually included in the lot.  Luckily both times the sellers were honorable people and let me know about these diversions just as a laughable story.  Both these happened before I was ever an Acaeum member, and I never found out who the scumbags were, but if it happened to me now I would definitely try a lot harder to find out who had tried to screw me...it's nice to know who will watch your back in the foxhole and who will shove a knife into it.  I'd ask some more questions if I were you.  I don't think it would be worth sharing in this forum because it would be unsubstantiated, but you might want to know for your own peace of mind

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:27 pm 

I agree with getting the E-mails of the other people that harrased this guy!  Get that out of the way then sell the Pharoh to me :D

Anyway, what Kind of condition is it in?

Did you ask the guy how he obtained this piece?

It is not often one f these comes up, what a find!!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:40 pm 

Hi Paul---

On a lighter note, did the seller say what else was in his box? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:[
It's been attempted on me by someone several times, though not recently.  Both times I purchased a But It Now of a large lot for a reasonable price, and both times someone emailed the seller to either tell him they would give him $100 more than the price I paid if they would just cancel the sale, or the other time tried to get 1-2 items out of the lot and told the seller to tell me he had made a mistake and they weren't actually included in the lot. Luckily both times the sellers were honorable people and let me know about these diversions just as a laughable story.

Yep, it's happened to me as well.  Once where the seller was honest and told me about the fact.   It's sad, and I "think" I may have lost out on a set because of this also.  (A seller refused to sell the set I bought via BIN because they found out I'm a reseller, they later re-listed the exact set minus the prize [which was no Pharoah let me tell you])  The first occasion (where I actually got the books) I learned the name of the person who made the offer and I didn't recognize it, apparently a private collector or an alter-ID.  I'm happy you recieved your win, and I'm sorry you have to worry about those who begrudge you your luck.  Hope you get a good price, the buyer feels he gets a good deal, and the original seller gets a dose of "good karma" his way.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:41 pm 

Yep, that's pretty darn sad.  This is the thanks you get for "saving" one that was headed for the trash, too. :(

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:02 pm 

Paul,
I'm sorry to hear about it, but not surprised.  If I were you, I'd try to get their IDs from the seller.  Knowing how generous you've been to the members here, it's especially distasteful that someone would try to screw you like that.  On a positive note, however, it gives you faith in humanity that the seller upheld the deal.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:04 am 

Hey again,

Thanks to everyone who sent and posted so many positive messages. In any case, I didn't ask the seller who sent the messages . . . I just couldn't bring myself to do it . . . I figure he has been bothered and made to feel uncomfortable enough. I sent him some extra cash to compensate him for the extra shipping/insurance costs/auction price and explained things as best I could . . .

(As a last side note, the only victim here is the seller who now is probably left feeling unhappy about a deal that they otherwise would have been pleased with . . .)

As far as the module . . . it is in FINE condition - no writing, no significant flaws). As to how it was obtained - there is a sticker on the inside of the front cover with $2.00 handwritten . . . looks to be the delicate handywork of a yard sale or flea market :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:28 am 

Nothing like good ol' greed and selfishness to mess up a perfectly good day.  I for one do believe in Karma.  What goes around, comes around.  Whoever the underhanded little turdbag is, will get theirs eventually.  At this point my vote goes to Creep1962.  He may not be a member of "our" community but has posted here before and in my opinion would lie about being so to a seller just to piss some people off.

By the way Paul, congratulations on the nice find.  On a much sweeter note, did anyone besides me see how those awesome Texas Longhorns pulled their heads out of their asses after the first half and put a major spanking on the Aggies?  I was actually worried for a couple of minutes there.  :twisted:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:01 am 

A few things....

1. No one will admit it. If anyone would do a dickheaded thing like that, they'd probably be equally likely to say they would never do that.

2. We all know, from this site, that there are a ton of dicks out there, and it is entirely possible, and in fact, likely, none of them are here.

3. No one should act surprised. Considering that a third of the posts on this site seem to be complaining about asshole things people do through eBay, we should be accustomed to it now.

4. Finally, if someone would do it, f*ck em. Let em have it.

My few cents, anyways...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:48 am 

Congratulations for the find, BTB.
That's all.

And for the rest, I may say with Poirot (Evil under the sun) "Even if we try to forget it, there's always evil under the sun".

Don't be surprised of what people can do, but lets fight together against this people.

And congratulions to the seller: a very beautiful person.
Ciao
Giorgio

Next