Collector's Trove Auction 43 Statistics and Update
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:24 pm 

Howdy Folks,

Just a little update on Collector's Trove Auction 43. All items have been shipped as of today. Those of you in the US will receive your items in 2-3 days via. Priority Mail. Most of the non-US shipping destinations will arrive via Airmail Letter Post or Airmail Parcel Post in the next 4-10 days. Finally, the few of you having your items shipped via Economy Letter Post will receive your items in 4-6 weeks (just in time for Christmas).

Many thanks for your patience as I labored many hours packing all of your goodies with care. I know a few of you won your items early on in the auction but it was just not practical for me to ship items when so many items were still receiving bids.

It was an absolutely huge auction, ending over a 7 day period. 140 invoices were out within 3 days of the auction's end and packaging began in earnest. Seven days later, all packages, with customs, insurance, and delivery confirmation forms were finished and shipped. You want to know what 140 packages look like? Here you go (all items to the left of the white shipping tube are US shipments and all packages on the right of the tube are International shipments):

(Yes, that is my living room.) Amazingly, my wife still loves me! :D

Here are a few statistics regarding the auction:

Items Offered: 460

Items Sold: 405 (over a 7 day period)

Total Value: $9,120

Total Shipping Costs: $1,150

Packages: 140 (I put together 20 packages a day on average)

Countries Shipped To: 13

Australia: 6
United Kingdom: 10
Belgium: 1
Canada: 5
Denmark: 1
France: 3
Germany: 4
Greece: 1
Hungary: 1
Japan: 1
Sweden: 1
Spain: 1
USA: 34
-Alabama: 1
-Arizona: 1
-California: 11
-Connecticut: 1
-Delaware: 1
-Florida: 3
-Georgia: 1
-Idaho: 1
-Illinois: 3
-Indiana: 1
-Iowa: 1
-Kansas: 1
-Kentucky: 1
-Maine: 2
-Maryland: 2
-Massachusetts: 7
-Michigan: 1
-Minnesota: 3
-Missouri: 1
-New Hampshire: 1
-New Jersey: 3
-New Mexico: 1
-New York: 5
-Nevada: 1
-North Carolina: 2
-Ohio: 4
-Pennsylvania: 6
-South Carolina: 1
-Tennessee: 2
-Texas: 8
-Utah: 3
-Virginia: 2
-Washington: 4
-Wisconsin: 1

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:56 am 

that looks really cool - far too oorganised for me that :)

hope that took a sizeable chunk out of the ol' card for ya :)

look forward to my items!

thx

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:02 am 

That looks like alot of work, congrats paul and I look forward to getting my box in a few weeks $9 grand, that's huge man.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:37 am 

Hey, this looks like as good a place as any to ask something that I have been wondering about . . .  

How do you guys handle high priced international auctions?   For instance, if you sell something for $1,000 to another country, do you insist they get insurance?  What value do you claim on the customs form?  If they are insured, then the customs form would have to have any accurate declaration . . .

So, conversely, do those of you who buy expensive items factor in the customs fees/taxes in your bid amount.  I hear they can be quite expensive.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:07 am 

Anything over $200.00 going internationally I pay for the insurance myself unless the buyer has already paid for it ahead of time.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:48 am 

bclarkie wrote:Anything over $200.00 going internationally I pay for the insurance myself unless the buyer has already paid for it ahead of time.

yeah my method is the same as BC. up to a certain point i will just do it myself to cover my own back, unless the buyer has requested it themselves. however if it goes over a certain value, then i will insist on them taking out insurance. saying it is at their own risk, is a waste of time, because they will just do a chargeback etc, so its just simpler to cover your own back anyway.

things coming to the UK. as long as the books are used (which they are) and are printed papers, there isnt any taxes to pay. you still get muppets who fill out the forms wrong and then you get stiffed for taxes too, but normally you won't.

i had appx 20,000 judges guild books shipped over from the US to here and there was no duty to pay. i checked with the customs & excise beforehand and even sent samples just to be abslolutely sure.

on something very valuable, i wouldnt mind anyway. rather get it right than dodge things.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:53 am 

I insure anything over $50 or so through Endicia insurance (SO much cheaper than postal insurance, and the only time I've had to file a claim it was painless.)  I would of course claim the correct amount on the customs forms, I do call all the items "used books" as I've been told that raises less red flags with certain customs departments than calling them "games" "rpgs" or "collectibles"  No one has ever said anything to me about getting hit with unusual customs fees, but I figure most international buyers will be aware of the fees they will have to pay.

Hope this helps, sure wish I had a $1000 package being shipped anywhere, I'm having a "feeling" the computer is about to kick the bucket.   :x

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:55 am 

Reindeergamez wrote:I'm having a "feeling" the computer is about to kick the bucket.  :x

yeah i've just had to replace mine too  :?  it always happens when you least want it to!  :cry:

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:26 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Folks,

Just a little update on Collector's Trove Auction 43. It was an absolutely huge auction, ending over a 7 day period. 140 invoices were out within 3 days of the auction's end and packaging began in earnest. Seven days later, all packages, with customs, insurance, and delivery confirmation forms were finished and shipped. You want to know what 140 packages look like? Here you go (all items to the left of the white shipping tube are US shipments and all packages on the right of the tube are International shipments):

[ Image ]

USA: 34
-California: 11

Look! There is mine in the pile on the left!  :D

Did any of you notice what the various early print Dungeon and Outdoor Geomorphs went for? Particularly the latter - I put a HIGH bid on the Outdoor one (well over $100, as I recall) which was only in *good* condition (not *mint*, or even *fine*, just good) and I was passed like a dirty rag. Seems to me the final bid on that was well over $150, though I do not recall the specific amount. And I got beat out on all of the Dungeon Geomorphs as well - even when I put healthy bids on them!

All I was able to walk away with were some early print M&T assortments, and some bagged early dice (which are intended for my Basic set)

Wow! Are the folks that track valuations on the Acaeum paying heed...?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:37 am 

The outdoor Geos went for 150.29.  Set 2 first print went for $81.00.

Lots of interesting stuff went in those auctions:  Your pesonal invitation to adventure went for $17.06.  The Play by Mail game (should that be listing on the Acaeum?)  went for $69.46.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:50 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:The outdoor Geos went for 150.29. Set 2 first print went for $81.00.

Lots of interesting stuff went in those auctions: Your pesonal invitation to adventure went for $17.06. The Play by Mail game (should that be listing on the Acaeum?) went for $69.46.

yes, i was browsing down the list when they all finished and noticed that some things went for really bumper values.

however, if it was someone else selling it, would it have gone for that much? i've noticed quite often, that when certain ppl are selling, things tend to go for a fair bit more than what you would normally expect them to go for.

that being the case, surely that wouldnt affect valuations in the long run? more like a spike kinda thing?

BUT that being said, i do think as BTB just mentioned there, that there are a few items (such as the PBM game), that should maybe, be on the valuations list....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:07 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:yes, i was browsing down the list when they all finished and noticed that some things went for really bumper values.

however, if it was someone else selling it, would it have gone for that much? i've noticed quite often, that when certain ppl are selling, things tend to go for a fair bit more than what you would normally expect them to go for.

that being the case, surely that wouldnt affect valuations in the long run? more like a spike kinda thing?

I tend to think that when sellers like burntwire or collector's trove have auctions of rares, they are even more indicative of value (even if the prices tend to appear somewhat higher). By this I mean, they reflect what collector's are willing to pay when they trust the legitimacy of the source, trust the accuracy of the condition and trust that the items are accurately described and will be safely shipped.

Without lingering doubts (such as is the item really as described, can I totally trust this seller, what if something goes wrong . . . will they help to rectify it?) then bidders give more free reign to placing higher bids.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:08 pm 

Sorry, I was repsonible for the Outdoor Geos & the Personal Invitation to Adventure. :oops: I was filling a lot of holes and I was really wanting to win those damn Geos. :x

Funny thing is, that I am pretty seriously considering selling out of a lot of my stuff. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:12 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Funny thing is, that I am pretty seriously considering selling out of a lot of my stuff. :?

Me too, but my CD burner's on the fritz again!  :twisted:   (Sorry, just a little humor on a slow day at work.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:17 pm 

So Paul (Stormberg), when's your next auction begin? :D :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:25 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Sorry, I was repsonible for the Outdoor Geos & the Personal Invitation to Adventure. :oops: I was filling a lot of holes and I was really wanting to win those damn Geos. :x

Funny thing is, that I am pretty seriously considering selling out of a lot of my stuff. :?

Let me know how serious you are? 8O

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Sorry, I was repsonible for the Outdoor Geos & the Personal Invitation to Adventure. :oops: I was filling a lot of holes and I was really wanting to win those damn Geos. :x

Let me know how serious you are? 8O

J

Don't worry if I decide to take the plunge, I will let everyone know. :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:50 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:I tend to think that when sellers like burntwire or collector's trove have auctions of rares, they are even more indicative of value (even if the prices tend to appear somewhat higher). By this I mean, they reflect what collector's are willing to pay when they trust the legitimacy of the source, trust the accuracy of the condition and trust that the items are accurately described and will be safely shipped.

Without lingering doubts (such as is the item really as described, can I totally trust this seller, what if something goes wrong . . . will they help to rectify it?) then bidders give more free reign to placing higher bids.

That's a great point and so true. When I trust the source, like stormber and burntwire, then I will bid more.  You know you are going to get your item without being e-burned.

Next