First Print PLAYERS HANDBOOK w/ WHITE Flyleaf !
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:13 am 

Hey Gang,    Last year I had the fortunate pleasure of acquiring a genuine FIRST PRINT of the Player's Handbook. It is a bit of an anomaly in that it has a WHITE flyleaf instead of the usual "yellow" found on first prints. (Let me specify that I am NOT talking about simply a first edition Player's Handbook; I am referring to a first edition that is also a FIRST PRINT. ) After numerous discussions with Gary Gygax, Frank Mentzer and Scott from The Acaeum, I was able to determine that this book is rare indeed! For about a year I've posted numerous topics about this subject on various chat and forum groups. So far, in all my months of research I have only been able to confirm the existence of one other first print WHITE flyleaf PHB. My question: Any of you own a genuine FIRST PRINT (hardback, not soft-cover) with a WHITE flyleaf? I'd be very interested in talking more with you if you happen to have one of these rare birds.   Many thanks for you assistance in this research!   -Jeff Soileau (aka "Bazul")

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:17 am 

If you can post a picture pls let the rest of us collectors take a look at such an item.  Could having a white fly leaf have been a mistake by the printing press, etc?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:45 am 

Yeah, I suppose I could post a pic.. but not really much to see other than the flyleaf being white vs. yellow.  Yes, I do suspect that it was a printing anomaly.   -Bazul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:57 am 

Hi Bazul, a printing error huh? Do you suppose something like that should be worth the same as the 1st print players handbook with yellow flyleaf or would a printing error be worth more?   I'd like to see what your opinion is.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:11 am 

hmmm... stretching what is called a printing error here.. most printing errors make some CCG card worth more, in RPG's most cases i have seen of priniting errors just make the item useless... like whole sections missed out or reprinted twice in a book, very annoying... if this is the first print and the first prints were printed with white instead of yellow that is an easy way to tell, but making it more valuable??? prob only in the eyes of a real die hard collector so then they can say that they have a "First Print" of an item, like a slight cahnge in layout of a module that differs between print runs... its doesn't make they item worth any more as far as i can see....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:15 am 

Very good points brought up Brett. Indeed printing errors like Bazuls may be very rare, but I'm not too sure if there are many collectors out there who collect errors. Like you pointed out, errors can deface the value of a rpg item. I think an item like bazul's is great to own for bragging rights.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:06 am 

Thanks for the posts and interest in this book. In terms of considering the white flyleaf an "error" (as in "oops! we goofed! better fix it!)  I don't think that is the case here. An "anomaly", yes! An "error", no. I can tell you that the flyleaf on my copy (as well as the other one know to exist) is a single-piece flyleaf. That is, the flyleaf begins on the inside covers of the book and extends across the binding to form the other flyleaf page (vs. the two separate pieces of flyleaf paper).  This is not simply a matter of substituting "white" flyleaf paper for "yellow". Is it possible that the two books (and maybe others like it out there) were VERY early runs? Perhaps "prototype"/ "experimental" samples? Could be. I'd have to track down someone that was intimately knowledgeable with the company that was contracted to print the TSR publications..I did email Frank Mentzer a while back, and he remembers hearing of a "white" flyleaf copy in existence but doesn't remember seeing one. In terms of value.. Well, who knows.. I guess the only way to establish "value" is to sell this copy and see what it brings. I would bet that it would bring more than any other PHB has brought on eBay. I did correspond with Gary Gygax several times concerning this book. Suffice it to say he was very interested. (He, too, had never seen one.) In terms of value this was Gary's take: [quote] "If it is the anomaly you, and I, believe it to be, likely it's worth a fair buck now, and that value should grow as time passes too." [end quote] I have to agree with the Master on this one...   Thanks again for the interest!  -Bazul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:21 pm 

Hey Gang!  It's been awhile since I've been here, but I'm re-opening this topic because just recently while visiting "The Acaeum" book value page, I noticed that they have added a "new" listing and value for a "True First Print" Player's Handbook. This "True" first print is given a much higher value than the "regular" first print and, as noted, is distinguishable only by the WHITE flyleaf vs. the YELLOW flyleaf that normal first print copies have. As mentioned, I have been very interested in this subject for awhile now since acquiring a "white flyleaf" first print about a year and a half ago. (You'll note a "thanks to Jeff Soileau"... listed in the "True First" description-- that's me!) Anyway, re-opening this topic to see if any of you have further info on the establishment of this as the "True" first print.  I wrote Scott (with The Acaeum) but haven't heard back yet. Anyone have any new info about this first print version?    Thanks!  -Bazul  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:41 pm 

Hi Jeff,  There is a bit more discussion of this matter in the handbook topic within the collecting appraisal category. While it is clearly an unusual copy there is much debate as to whether it is the first first print or an aberration. Further there is some debate on its valuation...  Later. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:47 pm 

Thanks Adam! I'll check it out!   8)    -Jeff (aka "Bazul")