Collecting 3.x
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm 

There was some discussion in the 3.x rarities 20+ yaers time thread about this. just had to put in my 2 c.p.

As to seeing a lot more 3.x discussion on these boards - go to the Acaeum's home page and tell me what it says under the man title.

I'm surprised there's not a subweb yet of 3.x. (yeah. I know. I would do it if I was responsible enough to devote time and effort to the project.)

In the future, I'm sure Foul will eventually have to devote some webspace to the discussion of collecting everyone's (well, not everyone's) most hated version.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:43 pm 

I am not sure why this needed a new thread but what the hey.  :)

Most of the folks who frequent this forum dont even consider 3.x as Dungeons & Dragons. As far as starting a new sub forum, I am sure Foul would not turn anyone away, but I will be absolutely amazed if anyone would actually would do it. This site is primarily for OD&D and 1st edition collectors. Maybe sometime a long time down the road it will move on to something else, but if it does I hope I am already long gone, cause if I am not, I will be. Outside of 3 or 4 of about the 80 or 90 currently very active members here, no one else could really give a rats tail about 3.x edition. Seriously.... :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:09 pm 

While I realize that most of the collectors on the forum don't give a flying fiddlers f--- about Third Edition, consider this - Without the OGL and the re-writing of the rules, D&D would probably be a dead game, with the exception of some hard-core players out there.

In my opinion, 3.x is a logical continuation of an evolving game.

Yes. There is potential (some say proclivity) for abuses (i.e. munchkining), but that doesn't mean you have to play with or be a muchkin.
{I think Shakespeare should amend his speech to include muchkins, power-gamers, and rules lawyers with the regular lawyers}.

The rules all mesh together well - although getting through character creation is a bee-atch, especially if you want anything that's not in the PHB.

Gary still said it best - If there's something you don't like, don't use it.
That can be said about the whole Third Edition if you like, too. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences.
But - and this is a big one - excluding third edition from the site just seems...wrong...to me.

This site is supposed to be about collecting Dungeons & Dragons, regardless of edition. I'm sure some, if not most of you would be pretty pissed if Foul suddenly decided to take down everything having to do with OD&D, or 1st edition.

The intention of this post and thread is not to start a pi---ng contest, but to have intelligent conversation, and hear everyone's opinion :D

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:42 pm 

Like I said, and I mean no disrespect to any and all 3rd edition gamers, but you are probably barking up the wrong tree. This site was created by Foul for the express purpose of 1st edition. :) Copied Straight from the FAQ on the site:

The Resident Sage wrote:Why don't you cover 2nd Edition / 3rd Edition AD&D material?

and

I know you've said that you don't want to cover (item name) since it was produced after 1990, but I've noticed that it's selling for thousands of dollars on eBay, and I really think you should cover it.

We've chosen to concentrate on 1st Edition (pre-1990) material for a number of reasons. For one, none of us here collect 2nd or 3rd Edition material, so our knowledge about such items is limited. While we may consider covering selected later items at some point in the future, our current workload will keep us busy for quite a while. Secondly, the site's main purpose is not to be a collectibles price guide, but to provide information on what constitutes a first (or early) print of an item. It is VERY unusual for any TSR item produced after 1990 to have different, distinguishable printings -- or to have a small print run. By 1990, TSR was a sizeable publisher, cranking out professional-quality products on big presses. Contrast to the early 70's, when Gygax and friends were hand-boxing the game in their living rooms. If an item produced after 1990 is selling for lots of money, it's generally NOT because it had a small print run, nor that it's a rare first print of an item -- it's because the item is popular. If we covered it, it would simply be to show a cover scan of the item, and give our opinion on its worth. That sort of coverage is absolutely useless, because YOU could just as easily look on eBay at any given time and get an even more accurate guess of the item's worth.

Maybe sometime, a long time down the road things will change, but they stopped producing 2nd edition some 5/6 years ago and there are still a lot of folks here that dont even want to deal with that. :wink:   Personally, I have almost zero interest in the 3rd edition game, becuase to me it is not even the same game.   As stated in an earlier thread, the only similarities to me between 3rd edition and 1st/2nd edition is that both are about player characters who fight monsters and roll dice to conduct the combat. Outside of that to me, there is virtually nothing the same. My 3rd edition collecting consists of the 3 original core 3.0 rule books, RTTOEE, and some of the Goodman Games modules.   The only reason I even have those things are because of the fact that the RTTOEE & GG mods both have a 1st edition connection and the core rules books are just for the sake of having them for posterity sake. Almost every other D&D website out there today is already focused squarely on 3.x edition and nothing else, so I am not sure why this one should move into that territory too. Think about what would happen to me or anyone else who went on to a 3rd edition site and started saying how they thought that their 3rd edition site shouldnt just cover 3rd edition that they should forget talking so much about 3rd edition and should cover more and talk more about 1st edition. 8O People would be rude as hell and tell whoever it was that should f*ck off and that they needed to get the hell out of there. Just my $.02. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:52 pm 

jkason wrote:Without the OGL and the re-writing of the rules, D&D would probably be a dead game...

One could just as easily argue that without The Acaeum, discussion of 3e would be a non-entity.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:00 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
jkason wrote:Without the OGL and the re-writing of the rules, D&D would probably be a dead game...

One could just as easily argue that without The Acaeum, discussion of 3e would be a non-entity.

Ok, you lost me completely on that one...  :? All I can say is that chess isn't a dead game, and it hasn't seen a significant rule change in a long, long time.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:00 am 

I don't play or collect 3.X for several reasons.

1) I grew up with 1st edition.
2) Cant afford to buy new stuff and collect the older stuff at the same time.
3) I hear it sucks.  Now does this mean it does?  Of course not but I dont have time to find out for myself.
4) There is just too much of it all.  I dont have the room.

With that said I wouldnt have a problem with a 3rd Edition subweb.  We have a Planescape subweb and that is 2nd edition.  But do we really need a 3.X one?  If people want to get info about 3rd edition, why not just head over to Dragonsfoot or one of the other myriad sites out there?  Yes this site is about Dungeons and Dragons collecting regardless of edition.  But I think most people dont really consider 3rd edition "collectible"...at least not yet anyway.  Do I think that Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is a collectible?  Yes I do.  Why?  Because it has its roots in 1st Edition.  If they ever make the module "Vecna's Back!" I will most likely buy it.  Not because it's 3rd Edition or because of the glossy, hardback cover. I will buy it because it was birthed from 1st ed.

So even though the site doesnt state "1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons Collecting" it is pretty much just that (unofficially).  The Canonfire! website doesnt state "Greyhawk stuff only" but I would bet no one ever posts a question regarding Forgotten Realms over there.  I guess there are a lot of old-timers on here that don't like change (I should know, I am one of them and I'm only 34).  I can equate D&D with the Mortal Kombat video game.  The first one was great, the second one was even better.  Then they had to go screw it all up with the 3rd and 4th ones.  How many different damn fatalities and crap can you stuff into one game?  Sorry, best example I could come up with at 12:30 AM.  :wink:

I tell you what I wouldnt mind seeing though....price guides for 2nd Edition stuff.  I really want to know what the going price is for my Complete Psionics Handbook?  I have the ultra-rare light brown cover with the speckles.  :P

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:31 am 

jkason wrote:While I realize that most of the collectors on the forum don't give a flying fiddlers f--- about Third Edition, consider this - Without the OGL and the re-writing of the rules, D&D would probably be a dead game, with the exception of some hard-core players out there.

BTW, some things should die and stay dead in my opinion.  For instance:

1) Star Wars.  One of the most amazing cultural phenomenons ever. I love the original movies but jeez.  How much bad press does George Lucas have to receive before he realizes just how bad a director he is?  Episode 1 should have never happened.  Hayden Christiansen as Darth Vader???  Could Lucas have picked a worse actor?  I would have rather seen Steven Segal as Anakin Skywalker.  At least he tries to be a bad-ass.

2) Star Trek.  Pure science-fiction fun with some actual science mixed in.  Loved the original series in reruns and thought Next Gen was pretty cool.  The first few movies were pretty good but then they stopped coming up with new ideas.  Just how many frickin' holodeck accidents can happen on a ship before someone decides "no one goes to the holodeck ever again".

3) Jean Grey, Hal Jordan, Bucky, Jason Todd and any other character that has died in comics and came back just so the comic book company can make tons of money off of their revival.  Still waiting for them to bring back Ben Reilly (Peter Parker's clone), the original Thunderbird, and Proteus.  And where the hell is ROM Spaceknight?  Shouldnt they have brought his tin-can ass back for a 12 issue mini-series by now?

4) Christopher Lambert's career.  If he comes back to make a fifth Highlander movie, I will personally hunt him down and gouge his eyes out with a dull knife.  If it happens, I hope Mario Van Peebles is nearby so I can pull his lungs out through his rectum for even showing his no-talent ass in the atrocity that was Highlander 3.

5) Disco.  Nuff said.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:10 am 

Why can't we put all the 3rd edition threads into one thread?

I don't have a problem with discussing 3E, and I don't have a problem extending that discussion to politics (and away from collecting). But this is meant to be a collectors forum for pre-2E D&D, and the amount of 3E threads, all discussing the same subject, should be moderated.

Why not end this thread and move everything over to the other threads on the same page discussing the same thing, instead of opening your own thread?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:13 am 

If I need to know about 1990+ 2nd ed or 3.x there is always this site

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/index.htm

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:06 am 

i've mentioned before, i DONT have 3E - there are prb only a few ppl who do, BUT i still dont like it - i've tried it out and so i can justify my decision. however, its no big deal to have a subweb on the forum tho is it? 3E discussion could be done there and then if you want to check it out, then you can. if not, then you wont, nuff said :)

i think the majoirty of this has already been discussed 3 or 4 times in other threads tho.

personally, i thought my 3E rarity thread was the best effort to bridge the chasm between one group and the other tho. at least the common ground was there - collecting.

but well there you go :)

Al

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 am 

Plaag wrote:If I need to know about 1990+ 2nd ed or 3.x there is always this site

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/index.htm

ShaneG.

I actually knew about the above site before I knew about The Acaeum.  Nice site but...no price guide or rarity information.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 am 

:lol: @ KingofPain's list.

If he comes back to make a fifth Highlander movie, I will personally hunt him down and gouge his eyes out with a dull knife

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:30 pm 

Am I weird for liking all D and D additions? Is it ok to like them all? :D

Guess I'm a roleplayer first and collector second. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it hehe! :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm 

Lewisexi wrote:Am I weird for liking all D and D additions? Is it ok to like them all? :D

Guess I'm a roleplayer first and collector second. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it hehe! :)

well you are a southerner, so i s'pose its acceptable down that way :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:34 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Lewisexi wrote:Am I weird for liking all D and D additions? Is it ok to like them all? :D

well you are a southerner, so i s'pose its acceptable down that way :D

At least we don't own whippets and ferrets round my way :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:42 pm 

I think it's tough for us to TELL THE FUTURE.  :P

There may be scores of 3e fans 20+ years from now collecting stuff.

It's too tough to foresee the future, so why worry?

If Foul's still running and collecting 10 or 20 years from now, 3e fans
may have a home here just the same.

Who knows.  And why would it matter, you'd be meeting more collectors
and enthusiaists.  This game is already rife with elitism and cliques, do we
need more of the crap??

"Why can't we all just get along?"  :lol:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.