Post your Top 3 1e Visuals!!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:57 pm 

Does anyone know where the original TOEE artwork ended up?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:56 pm 

Hello, all!

The noise from this post attracted my attention, so I thought I'd wander on over and add my two copper pieces to the debate...

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned (the Idol cover of the PHB, cover art of I6, DL1, so I thought I'd offer some of my faves that haven't been mentioned yet:

--from S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth: the illustration of Drelnza laid out on her bier, surrounded by Iggwilv's treasures with the Wondrous Lanthorn(?) casting a deceptively beatific glow upon everything. Wonderful stuff from Mr. Easley, I believe!

--The cover artwork of DRAGON #83 (I believe), the chess game where the black queen exterminates the white queen

--Erol Otus' outre illustrations for the Cthulhu Mythos in the original Deities and Demigods. Chaosium should've taken him on to do their artwork, IMHO!

Least favorite artwork?  Gosh, there's a lot more of that!  But I'd have to say that the cover of the S1-4 compilation was pretty uninspired.

Favorite 2nd Ed artwork? I'd say the Planescape DM's screen from the Planescape campaign setting boxed set.  Simple, yet iconic, and the only piece of cardboard that's ever given off the impression of tarnishing before my eyes...  ;)

Least favorite 2e artwork?  Well, the cover of the Dungeon Master Guide is a godawful amalgamation of the revised cover art for the 1st Ed PHB (think Ringlerun, the LJN Good Wizard) meets Lawrence Welk, IMHO...

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:52 pm 

There's WAY too much good stuff (good both as in cool and cheesy) to just pick 3.  I could only settle on "The 3 best X", where "X" is "by artist Y", "that evokes basic D&D nostalgia", "that evokes AD&D nostalgia", "lame but most loved", "most hated", etc.

I'll start out with "The 3 coolest from the Monster Manual".  They are all Trampier, of course  :D

It's interesting to note that, at least for me, coloring the artwork often ruins it.  Roslof and Jeff Dee did awesome work, but I hate almost every colored piece they've done (e.g. covers of green S1, A1, etc).  However, this does not seem to apply to Erol Otus -- his colored stuff is just as good as his line art.

- Nels

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:40 pm 

Heh, I like Roslof's covers *because* they are so bright and colorful...

Love that cover of the 1980/81 D&D Character Sheets with the Blue Dragon facing off against the party of adventurers from the "Rainbow Guild":

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPag ... 1DDPC.html

:D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:53 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Heh, I like Roslof's covers *because* they are so bright and colorful...

Love that cover of the 1980/81 D&D Character Sheets with the Blue Dragon facing off against the party of adventurers from the "Rainbow Guild":

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPag ... 1DDPC.html

:D

wow, I've never seen that Roslof cover before. That's really fantastic! I think Roslof is up there and often overlooked.

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:50 pm 

right after a few days of deliberating, i have finally decided on my fave 3 pics.

so without further ado, here they are!!

at number 3

at number 2

and at number 1

number 3: my favorite ever module will always be Q1. cant play it enough, certainly cant DM it enough and that pic on the cover of the booklet, sums up lolth for me. a typical drow beauty, but under it all, soooo much evil. superb!

number 2: my fave monster manual will always be fiend folio and the renevant is my fave monster. i unleashed one on a group of players once and it was one hell of a chaotic melee and for me, that picture is utterly nightmarish. it captures the mood of "OMG what the feck do we do now?!"

number 1: also from fiend folio, this image will always inspire me. i always love playing the fighter class and this is my kinda thang :D

so there ya go

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:51 pm 

Wow! Great stuff.

I had never thought about worst art for this thread but I think that is a great idea. I absolutely do not like the Lakey's work. Apparently husband and wife fantasy art team? The stuff is bad enough for one person much less two in my most humble opinion. 8)

The worst ever art during the 1e era belongs to a nonTSR item..........

Image :lol: :lol:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:04 pm 

My least favorite TSR artwork is the cover of the Realms of Terror S-4.  I'm sorry, but everytime I see it, I think "Why does Drelnza look she should be a member of Kiss?"

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:50 pm 

How about ... "The 3 graphics you'd be most likely to have to defend against the mockings of a drooling pack 13-year-old, 3e-pumped power munchkins perusing your cherished, personal Monster Manual at GenCon":

#3:

#2:

#1:

As sweet revenge would have it, you're DM'ing B2 for them at a 1e table (they thought they'd try 1e to make a mockery of it), and you say to the lead munchkin as you hand him his character sheet, "Alright, Lollipop Kid, you're playing a 1st level gnome fighter called Gomer the Galoot with an 8 Str, 7 Dex and 2 hp.  After splurging on studded leather, he had enough gold left to buy a dagger, spiffy new leather boots, and a ball-peen hammer ..."

- Nels

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 pm 

I am all about what you talk about, Nels!  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:25 am 

Most of the aces have been mentioned, but I like this one:

Sorry about the sticker, but I just can't open the factory-sealed baggie!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:32 am 

Does anyone own any Trampier art?  He seems to be almost everyone's favorite but I've never heard of anyone owning his pieces except for the PHB cover, which Gygax presumably has.  

Also, any early Erol Otus art out there?  I've never seen any of it for sale.  

I really, really hope all their stuff didn't just fall into the trash bins behind TSR during the reign of Williams.  I hope that someone at TSR then had the presence of mind to pick it up, and it's all stored someplace safe.  Sigh...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm 

Just about the only items are from that large lot of Sutherland correspondence and memos, drawings, and game notes that Burntwire won in auction a couple of years back. All early 1e items.

There were a couple of Tramp inks and a couple Erol Otus inks along with at least one Dee ink. Luckily I bought one Otus from them and a Willingham.

The PHB cover Tramp exists for certain. I have not heard of anything else substantial at all and that is a crying shame. Especially with all of those beautiful Otus paintings. Fortunately, I think many are in possession of some exTSR folks. As time passes I think we will see many of them come up for sale.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:04 pm 

Sorry about the sticker, but I just can't open the factory-sealed baggie!

Oh wait! You're the one with the Aussie Combo pack?  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:05 pm 

Not me! I got this module a month ago for $7.00 from a bookstore Down Under. The baggie looks like it went with it originally, and so it stays on. The Aussie Combo pack, along with the Japanese modules, are probably my favorite foreign pieces (that I would like to get). The Jedko Players that I have, even though the contents are the same as the 9th+ Players, is bound quite differently, stitched and printed on different paper. The books I get from India are the same way. The paper is different.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:20 am 

I am sorry for the anti-DD3 front, but here is a link to Wayne Reynold's artworks, and I think it's fine ! I like it...!

http://www.waynereynolds.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:54 am 

My #1 D&D visual is the Sutherland cover of the Holmes boxed set, but I guess that's not 1e.

Trampier is the best artist, but Otus is the best stylist.

Of course you'd expect collectors to love the 'holy trinity'.

I guess if it's uniquely 1e pieces I'd have to go with killjoy's #3 right up the page. Permanently altered my ~10 year old mind.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:51 pm 

It has to be the PHB cover, hands down!

Here's my version of the idol........

[img]http://www.otherworld.me.uk/images/add991.gif

[/img]

PreviousNext