Post your Top 3 1e Visuals!!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:00 pm 

Stumbled upon this list.

www.fierydragon.com/db/2003-07-09.htm

I thought it was a great idea. I will think about it a bit before making my list......

Post your top 3 1e visuals! (trying to make it manageable)

and your top 2e visual with it!

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:25 pm 

Number 3 for me is.....

Sentimental for me. I loved buying this fresh off of the shelves. Jeff Dee is such a great favorite of mine.

Number2
.Image
No list of mine is complete without Erol Otus. I pick this over the basic boxset only because of sentimental value.

and while I am at it.....
What is great about this is the questionable art aspect. Not only does this ultimately drive this auctions rarity...it uses TSR notables as subject matter. Erol Otus at his best.

Number 1

To me, this is holy grail of collectible D&D. I would pretty much give away my right foot for this. Rock on Tramp.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:35 pm 

The covers of the PHB and DMG would be at the top of my list where I would sell a kidney to raise funds to win them.  From the list, Emirikol the Chaotic is a great Trampier piece... pretty much any Trampier piece would be nice.  As for module covers, I'd go with A4, In the Dungeons of the Slavelords, which is one of my favorite modules plus I have three of the interior Roslof illustrations already.  I'd also like the D3 Vault of the Drow cover... can't go too wrong with any Erol Otus.  
Nice list from Fiery Dragon, thanks for posting the link.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:47 pm 

S2 (Ghost Tower of Inverness - Red Rosloff cover) - Becuase it's the first D&D item I purchased.

U1 (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) - Because it's the first Module I DM'ed.

The DragonLance series of covers - Because Caldwell's art just kicks ass.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:45 am 

That little pic in I think the DMG, "There is no honor among theives."  Always liked that one.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:30 am 

My top three:

Number 3 - GDQ1-7

Number 2 - DL10 Dragons of Dreams

And No. 1 - Dragon Magazine Cover 140

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:26 am 

Tough one. Here's my TOP3:

#3: Jeff Easley
#2: Erol Otus
#1: Dave Trampier

There should be place for a Roslof or Dee painting in the TOP3, but unfortunately, there isn't.  :(

The Trampier piece is the best painting ever created for any edition. It's got tension, action, and incredible colors. To me, it beats the pants off the DMG or MM cover.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:12 am 

1) Cover of Queen of the Spiders
2) Cover of the Unearthed Arcana
3) Page 60 of the Fiend Folio.  Maybe someone can verify for me who the artist is?  The artists name that comes closest to the signature is Albie Fiore but I am just guessing.

Top 2E would be the cover to the From the Ashes boxed set.

Just for fun I will throw in my least favorite visual as well.  It would have to be a tie between the artwork for the cover of the Ravenloft Realm of Terror boxed set and the cover to The Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad.  Yick!  :x

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:12 am 

It took me a while to figure out which 2e image stands out in my mind. Aside from the many Easley's that adorn the most important pieces of that edition I cannot deny that Ruppel, Brom, and guys like Fred Fields, Scott Burdick, et al... really changed the look of the game and upped the standards of fantasy game artists everywhere.

This Ruppel is just stunning to me....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:48 am 

This is very nice from pg 60 of Fiend Folio. I hadn't noticed it for quite a while. I do not recognize the artist either but I am inclined to agree with your guess.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:22 pm 

My favorite would have to be the cover of the Manual of the Planes.  I was 12 and it was the first AD&D book I ever bought myself.  The scene really captured my imagination, with the lone mage flying through a portal into the Ethereal plane only to be surprised by the Ethereal Dreadnought.

Another image that stands out in my mind is the cover of the Dungeon Master's Adventure Log.  One lone torhc illuminating the fight with the Gnoll(?) while all around more beasties lurk in the darkness.

I would certainly put A Paladin in Hell and The Magic Mouth very high on my list.  I love the eyes lurking at the botton of the stairs.

A couple of runners up would be the fire starting scene from page 96 of the Wilderness Survival Guide and the Damsels in Distress scene from page 72 of the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:19 pm 

Clearly the groundbreaking work of pioneering artists like Trampier, Otus, Rosloff and Dee has been (and must be) acknowledged... However, I find myself a bigger fan of the artists that came along near the end of the 1e run, and who built creative layers on top of what the originators had already brought to the game... for example:

#3 "The Antagonists" by Dennis Beauvais

Beauvais is one of my all-time favorite fantasy artists. His work often depicts archtypal clashes between Good and Evil. His chess-game-inspired Dragon magazine covers are some of the most popular that the magazine has ever had. I think his best DragMag cover is "The Antagonists" from issue #115. Quintessential GvE here; with DemonLord atop his evil dragon steed facing off against White Wizardess on her pegasus. The treatment of light in this painting is amazing. Made entirely without models, props or computer software.

My #2 might be a little geeky, but I give it to Dave Sutherland III for his trendsetting interior maps for I6 Ravenloft.

I believe this was the first D&D product to feature 3D perspective mapping. I was so enthralled by it that I sat for hours just wandering the corridors and stairwells of Count Strahd's castle WITH MY EYES. The fact that water-colored portions of the exterior of the castle were superimposed over sections of the interior map made it so that one could see how the interior and exterior spaces of the castle correlated... If one of Strahd's minions was walking a hallway with a lit candle, I could tell the party precisely which outer window they would see illuminated from their vantage point in the graveyard below the cliff. After killing whole parties with this module I used to enjoy lowering the DM's screen and revealing the layout.

My #1 D&D 1e image is Keith Parkinson's "The Floating Tomb"

Other Dragonlance pieces have already been mentioned in this thread, but The Floating Tomb by Keith Parkinson (from the cover of DL4 DRAGONS OF DESOLATION) is my all-time fave. I think it is also arguably one of the most definitive pieces of art for all of the Dungeons & Dragons game. Truly gargantuan in physical scope. The hovering rock-cut tomb is a great example of some of the highest powers of magic (and gaurded by no fewer than six red dragons! Sheesh!) Borrowing a technique from the Romantic period, Parkinson creates scale by inserting a band of humans fleeing this incredible scene on their steeds. The sense that mortals should rarely be in the presence of this place is obvious.

Hope the image links work.

bonk!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:03 pm 

I like so much art, I could not decide on any three.

So...I went with my three fave 2e art pieces that sum up what
I loved in 2e.  And that was campaign settings.  These pieces, to me,
show what I love about these worlds pretty much as a whole.

Welcome to Sigil, and a whole new way to look at the planes.

Brom WAS, and still IS, what Athas and Dark Sun means to me.

And the elegance and danger of Ravenloft, by Caldwell.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:24 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:It took me a while to figure out which 2e image stands out in my mind. Aside from the many Easley's that adorn the most important pieces of that edition I cannot deny that Ruppel, Brom, and guys like Fred Fields, Scott Burdick, et al... really changed the look of the game and upped the standards of fantasy game artists everywhere.

This Ruppel is just stunning to me....
[ Image ]

Love this one too.  I've actually got an unused cover of "I, Strahd" signed by Ruppel from Gen Con.  Of course, now that I dig it up and take a look, I find a little dent in the pic itself.  But otherwise, a mint copy!

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:37 am 

I would have liked the 3-D maps more if they hadn't made the module itself so hard to use/map.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:05 am 

I love the Clyde Caldwell cover art for the Gaz series. Top 3 would probably be Gaz1 (Karameikos), Dawn of the Emperors & Glantri.

And..

I also love the 2e black & white picture from the PHB of the woman (dead?) near the bard/theif class pages.

and this one:

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:16 am 

For me, the top two have got to be:

1.  Cover of the white box set (not the OCE)

2.  Cover of the first basic set (blue, lizard logo)

And of course, the list wouldn't be complete without:

3.  Cover of the Player's Handbook (w/o banner)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 am 

Trampier Trampier TRAMPIER!

I know that's not a "posting of a drawing" but dammit you find me a Trampier piece from any of the books and I guarendamntee I like it.  So in lieu of not overloading the acaeum servers with 200 or so illustrations, I say: anything by Dave Trampier.

Close second:  Dave Sutherland (close enough to be first, almost).  

Close third: Anything by Erol Otus.

Next