3E rarities in 20+ years time...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:24 pm 

217 copies seems a really odd number? I can see that if Haunted Lighthouse only ran to 300 copies, that explains the $100 price tag. But I don't understand the 200 copies of The Mask of Death only selling for $20 a pop? Maybe if there were 1000 copies?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:02 pm 

Mask of Death...still available on their site so I suspect the full 1000 or whatever print run....

Still an interesting module. Picked one up a bit back.

http://www.goodmangames.com/50205preview.php

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:217 copies seems a really odd number? I can see that if Haunted Lighthouse only ran to 300 copies, that explains the $100 price tag. But I don't understand the 200 copies of The Mask of Death only selling for $20 a pop? Maybe if there were 1000 copies?

I bought one from a stack at Gencon, I would imagine there is way more than 217 copies.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:22 pm 

The 217 figure comes directly from Joseph Goodman. When we found out he was selling these on his website after GenCon we contacted him. After all the cover did state "GenCon excusive". He stated that the ones left over from GenCon were the ones he was selling off his site. When the orders flooded in he over-sold his left over stock by 17 copies before they were pulled from his site. He had an additional 17 copies printed to fill the orders he had already taken. Are they still available from his site? If so something is fishy. He seemed like a nice guy and they make a real nice product. I hope he hasn't gone over to the "dark side" and started printing more.

BTW: Our reserve is only $20.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:25 pm 

burntwire wrote:The 217 figure comes directly from Joseph Goodman. When we found out he was selling these on his website after GenCon we contacted him. After all the cover did state "GenCon excusive". He stated that the ones left over from GenCon were the ones he was selling off his site. When the orders flooded in he over-sold his left over stock by 17 copies before they were pulled from his site. He had an additional 17 copies printed to fill the orders he had already taken. Are they still available from his site? If so something is fishy. He seemed like a nice guy and they make a real nice product. I hope he hasn't gone over to the "dark side" and started printing more.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

I lied though unintentionally. All the other DCC modules are marked sold out in the description if they are. That one was not. I went to verify and in the Online store it is marked as sold out. I apologize!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm 

would be nice to have that but you know, i just cant bring myself to buy a 3E module :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:would be nice to have that but you know, i just cant bring myself to buy a 3E module :)

The Goodman games stuff is excellent, straight out adventure with very little fluffy background.  Easy to run and a blast to play, check them out.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:15 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Here is something that I saw which made me remember this thread. How many of these were produced?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Here is something that I saw which made me remember this thread. How many of these were produced?

I'm not sure, they were for the 2005 D&D world game day.  Mad Alchemist is FR I believe, Forgotten Forge is Eberron (as come in the campaign setting, nothing "unique" except reprinted outside the hardcover

-Shane "who's run Forgotten Forge twice" Murphy.  :P

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:27 pm 

burntwire wrote:The 217 figure comes directly from Joseph Goodman. When we found out he was selling these on his website after GenCon we contacted him. After all the cover did state "GenCon excusive". He stated that the ones left over from GenCon were the ones he was selling off his site. When the orders flooded in he over-sold his left over stock by 17 copies before they were pulled from his site. He had an additional 17 copies printed to fill the orders he had already taken. Are they still available from his site? If so something is fishy. He seemed like a nice guy and they make a real nice product. I hope he hasn't gone over to the "dark side" and started printing more.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

I think the copies I have were from the copies he printed to fill orders....after the first discussion here about Burntwire selling their copy,  I went to Goodman Games website and ordered five copies.  I got an email back saying they were sold out but were printing additional copies to fill the demand...after the item was ordered they had sold all their existing copies but hadn't taken the ad down yet. I ended up waiting several months but finally got the five copies.  All in all I figured it was handled professionally because Goodman Games could have just as easily emailed me back saying we made a mistake and sorry we are sold out.  Instead they were trying to please the customer, myself and whoever else ordered the additional copies.  The copy I put up was one of the extras, it was just snatched up by one of the regulars here, I'll let him identify himself if he wants, but I figured they got a good deal if it's truly that limited. I'm probably going to sit on the additional copies for awhile (well, mostly because I can't find them as I packaged them up and stored them after getting them except for the copy just sold in my store).  Sounds like a nice instant collectible!

Mike B.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:04 am 

Badmike wrote:

Hope this helps,

Shawn

I think the copies I have were from the copies he printed to fill orders....after the first discussion here about Burntwire selling their copy, I went to Goodman Games website and ordered five copies. I got an email back saying they were sold out but were printing additional copies to fill the demand...after the item was ordered they had sold all their existing copies but hadn't taken the ad down yet. I ended up waiting several months but finally got the five copies. All in all I figured it was handled professionally because Goodman Games could have just as easily emailed me back saying we made a mistake and sorry we are sold out. Instead they were trying to please the customer, myself and whoever else ordered the additional copies. The copy I put up was one of the extras, it was just snatched up by one of the regulars here, I'll let him identify himself if he wants, but I figured they got a good deal if it's truly that limited. I'm probably going to sit on the additional copies for awhile (well, mostly because I can't find them as I packaged them up and stored them after getting them except for the copy just sold in my store). Sounds like a nice instant collectible!

Mike B.

Mike B.

I ordered one from their website after the first time one came up for auction back in August or September as well. I did not have the delay in getting mine shipped to me so perhaps I got one of the leftovers and did not have to wait for the oversell printing. I look at their site every few weeks and until today I just assumed they made another full print run as that one does not properly show as being out of stock until you try and order. Well kinda wish I had ordered more than one now  :(

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:10 am 

I think Mr. Goodman handled the situation in the best possible manner.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:25 am 

burntwire wrote:I think Mr. Goodman handled the situation in the best possible manner.

yeah i think anyone who wanted a happy customer as well as ensuring the item stayed "limited" would do the same thing.

damn and i would have even been tempted to get one too :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:44 am 

Greetings All,

This is an interesting discussion.  My pick for a future D20 collectible would be the D&D Adventure Game, Diablo II Edition.  It has one foot in the D&D world, the other in the DiabloII world, and a lot of people have spent quite a lot of time playing DiabloII.  I know I have.  Just like the nostalgia factor of original D&D, DiabloII will have a warm place in many a player's heart, hence I believe this item will have some extra desirability for a lot of people as time moves on.  From a D&D standpoint it comes as 3 digest size booklets reminiscent of OD&D, and like OD&D it is a very simplified game as compared to the full blown versions of AD&D and D20 respectively.  Throw in some character sheets with artwork, some scenery tiles, and a set of dice and I think you have a nice item for the D&D collector looking to showcase some milestones in the timeline of D&D.  Probably won't command big moolah like early AD&D stuff, but as an early D20 product I think you will see it command more than its original sticker price for an intact set down the road.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:15 am 

islestrike wrote:Greetings All,

This is an interesting discussion. My pick for a future D20 collectible would be the D&D Adventure Game, Diablo II Edition. It has one foot in the D&D world, the other in the DiabloII world, and a lot of people have spent quite a lot of time playing DiabloII. I know I have. Just like the nostalgia factor of original D&D, DiabloII will have a warm place in many a player's heart, hence I believe this item will have some extra desirability for a lot of people as time moves on. From a D&D standpoint it comes as 3 digest size booklets reminiscent of OD&D, and like OD&D it is a very simplified game as compared to the full blown versions of AD&D and D20 respectively. Throw in some character sheets with artwork, some scenery tiles, and a set of dice and I think you have a nice item for the D&D collector looking to showcase some milestones in the timeline of D&D. Probably won't command big moolah like early AD&D stuff, but as an early D20 product I think you will see it command more than its original sticker price for an intact set down the road.

Is this a product that is available, or one that is soon to be available? Can anyone post a picture link?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:16 am 

If we can move to non D20 I would nominate the 3 book set of Gary Gygax's Lejendary Adventure for future collectable status.  Particularly the signed and numbered Author's Editions limited to 1000 copies of the Lejendary Rules, Lore Master's Guide, and Beasts of Lejend.  Now if all three were the same number that would be an especially nice set.  Each book in the Author's edition in addition to being signed and numbered has 1 piece in a 3 part adventure, giving the Author's Edition a little extra desirability over the standard books.  They are not  D&D per say, but I think they would fit into a D&D collection nonetheless as the latter works from the man himslef.  The books have the same writing style, idealism, and to me evoke the same nostalgia of the early days found in the first AD&D books.  They are different systems and yet there is a sameness in terms of what they are all about.

I hope Gary still has many wonderful and productive years ahead of him.  But at a point somewhere in the future when no more work is to be had from Gary I think these books will come into their own.

Cheers!  And Cheers to Gary!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:18 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Is this a product that is available, or one that is soon to be available? Can anyone post a picture link?

It's been out for a year or more, I remember seeing it in a video game shop (Electronics Boutique, I think).  Just about the only 3E product I'd seriously consider...(though I'd market it as Diablo III, Paper Edition).

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Is this a product that is available, or one that is soon to be available? Can anyone post a picture link?

It's an older product, one of the first released when d20 made it's debut.  There was a collector's edition of Diablo II that included this RPG, and then it was also sold seperately for a time, along with some pewter miniatures.  So that would peg the time of it's commercial availability to June 2000.  Later in 2001 WotC released Diablerie and To Hell and Back, which were softcovers expanding this universe.  These were one off things, perhaps that will add to their future collectability.  Out of print but commonly available on Ebay.

Cheers!

PreviousNext