3E rarities in 20+ years time...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:31 am 

I am sure there will be a few items that will become a collectable item in 3e. But I seriously doubt any will approach the big rares of OD&D and 1e. Deadlord already pointed out all the most accurate reasons for this.

I think another may simply be the fact that 3e is NOT 1e. Just like the first run of Amazing Spider-Man will always be of higher value than later editions of the same title. Also, there certainly is no nostalgia to 3e. No one is ever going to have a discussion about a stupid box pulled out of a dumpster that may or may not have held a quantity of a recalled module. 8O

There is a mass of AD&D collectors who have a connection to old TSR rpgs because they were around when gaming was basically in its infancy. The products that reflect that era will always hold value. Items printed 30 freaking years later that are several actual editions and companies removed will not.  

Also, I think people will collect old TSR stuff that may have never played old D&D and 1e. Again, there is an "originality" about those items. I have a real hard time believing anyone will feel the same about 3.5e.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:47 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:Was Return to the Tomb of Horrors by Bruce Cordell (with Gary tweaking a little, plus a photostat copy of S1) 2e or 3e?

Because I've seen complete boxed sets of that go for a hundred bucks already.

2nd edition if I am not mistaken.

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/tm/tm-tomb.htm

Came out in 98 and I think 3e was later though close on its heels. It was part of the Tomes (who knows  :?: ) line. So it may be one of those items that was edition neutral.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:04 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:What about the Conversion Guide? It's that crap little pamphlet for converting 2nd ed. to 3rd ed. I think that most have been thrown out and many more will bite the dust in the coming years.

It's worthless now anyway, so I'm hanging onto one just in case . . . 8)

You and me both, BtB ;)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:07 pm 

I have a retailer pack with a bunch of those conversion guides inside of one sw.

I think there are 36 or 72 of them in there.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:09 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:What about the Conversion Guide? It's that crap little pamphlet for converting 2nd ed. to 3rd ed. I think that most have been thrown out and many more will bite the dust in the coming years.

It's worthless now anyway, so I'm hanging onto one just in case . . . 8)

You and me both, BtB ;)

Just after 3rd ed came out this little booklet was going for $15-20.  I know because I sold a few.  I kept 2 of these for future speculation.  

One book to watch out for would be the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.  It was a great adventure and has 1st edition ties as well. :wink:

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:11 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:One book to watch out for would be the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. It was a great adventure and has 1st edition ties as well. :wink:

In 3.5, it's actually possible to be an evil elemental, isn't it?  8O

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:24 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:One book to watch out for would be the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. It was a great adventure and has 1st edition ties as well. :wink:

In 3.5, it's actually possible to be an evil elemental, isn't it? 8O

By throwing templates upon each other yeah, but not intentionally.  Depends on the cheese weasily factor of your DM.  :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:26 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:Was Return to the Tomb of Horrors by Bruce Cordell (with Gary tweaking a little, plus a photostat copy of S1) 2e or 3e?

Because I've seen complete boxed sets of that go for a hundred bucks already.

It was 2e - but worth picking up (not for a hundred bucks, though).
The copy of S1 that's in my set is NOT a photostat copy, but a reprint of the original (mono) module.

The premise is that the original tomb was a "stepping off" point for Acererak on his way to (demi) godhood. An interesting read, if nothing else, with power levels ramping up super quick.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 pm 

Does anyone know how many copies of Haunted Lighthouse and The Mask of Death were printed by Goodman Games?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Does anyone know how many copies of Haunted Lighthouse and The Mask of Death were printed by Goodman Games?

I remember hearing 300 somewhere along the way in regards to the Haunted Lighthouse, but I do not know that for sure.  Badmike currently has a Mask of Death up in his store currently and in his auction description, he lists the number as 217 for it. I am not sure how accurate that is, but I figure he did not just arbitrarily put that figure in there, he must have a pretty reliable source. I am sure he will be able to confirm his source when he pops in again.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Does anyone know how many copies of Haunted Lighthouse and The Mask of Death were printed by Goodman Games?

I remeber hearing 300 in regards to the Haunted Lighthouse, but I do not know that for sure. Badmike Has a Mask of Death up in his store currently and in his auction description, he lists the number as 217. I am not usre how accurate that is either, but I figure he did not just arbitrarily put the figure in there, he must have a pretty reliable source. I am sure he will be able to confirm his source when he pops in again.

Do you mean burntwire?

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Mask-of-Death-G ... dZViewItem

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:08 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:

Do you mean burntwire?

Actually, you are right, I must have got confused.  FWIW, Badmike does have one is store though for $24.00.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:05 pm 

There was a module from a few years ago, "Tales From The Blood Plateau", that earned a minute of controversy (and associated momentary high prices) due to being pulled off the sales floor at Gen Con. Something about "inappropriate content"...

It's pretty stable at two or three dollars, these days.

Brian "Old Sardul" Collins

http://www.titangames.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:19 pm 

Isn't there some sort of Starter Pack that comes in a slipcover and contains the Player's Handbook, DM Guide and Monster Manual?  Maybe even sealed, I can't remember, but I've seen them at Barnes & Noble before.

Something like that might have value if it was kept together and unopened.  Just like the 10th Anniversary Set and Combo Packs have value when unopened.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Actually, you are right, I must have got confused. FWIW, Badmike does have one is store though for $24.00. :)

mike DID have one but its been snapped up - i just went there to get it, but its gone now :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:

Do you mean burntwire?

Actually, you are right, I must have got confused. FWIW, Badmike does have one is store though for $24.00. :)

One sold this week for a buy it now of $20 ( had been up for a few days ) Also, IIRC it was also available for sale at goodman's website for quite some time after gen con before being taken down.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:24 pm 

217 copies seems a really odd number? I can see that if Haunted Lighthouse only ran to 300 copies, that explains the $100 price tag. But I don't understand the 200 copies of The Mask of Death only selling for $20 a pop? Maybe if there were 1000 copies?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:02 pm 

Mask of Death...still available on their site so I suspect the full 1000 or whatever print run....

Still an interesting module. Picked one up a bit back.

http://www.goodmangames.com/50205preview.php

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

PreviousNext