What was your most exciting acquisition?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:53 pm 

When my wife called me from work and told me a co-worker of hers had bought me a bunch of "little D&D books" I thought she meant he'd grabbed some of the 20th Century Imports' mini-reproductions of D&D hardbacks.

When she came home with books 1,3 and Supplement 1: Greyhawk I was ecstatic.  That was pretty awesome.

My recent find of a true 1st Dungeon Master's, true 1st Monster Manual and late 1st print Player's Handbook are all pretty spiffy too.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:11 pm 

The one acquisition for me that stands out more than any of them was the very first module I ever bought which was The Ghost Tower of Inverness.  I didnt own any AD&D rulebooks and had bought the Basic set just prior to that.  I really had no idea how to play the game but that red cover and artwork just pulled me in.  Still to this day one of my favorite modules.

To a lesser extent I guess I could say that purchasing my first "rares" (R1 and R2) was pretty exciting.  But probably the most giddy experience was when I picked up Queen of the Spiders, Scourge of the Slavelords, and Temple of Elemental Evil all at the same time at a bookstore on clearance.  I read them from cover to cover over the next 48 hours.  I miss having free time.  :(

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:08 am 

You all have such impressive acquisitions, indeed! :)

Mine would be the item that a certain someone on here surprised me with. It was something I'd never imagined being given, and not wanting to embarrass anyone, I'll just say a heartfelt thank you, here, in case the tons of others I wrote never made it. When I got it, I really did cry. Mostly because I couldn't believe someone had done something so amazing for me.

*clears throat before getting sappy* And, of course, my PS Sketchbook, and pewter faction pin prototypes.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:28 am 

Thanks a bunch for the pic, tfm.  I think that's a really cool giant's throne that I'll now be on the lookout for knowing what I'm looking for.  
So someone has the Roslof C2 cover art, that's awesome.  How many cover art pieces are known to be in someone's hands?  I shudder to think at the pieces that were trashed... ugh... any ideas on what happened to those A, G, D, Q cover art masterworks?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:32 am 

The one that I remember most is getting a mono G1 in the mail from Zocchi's. It was the first mono module that I bought. I guess that explains why I still enjoy collecting them.  *looks around the room*  Wow that was a long time ago.  8O

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:41 am 

Q1 exists! Somewhere in Hollywood in fact. A big collector gone dormant. Hopefully he will let it go again. I have the back cover art for Q1 having bought it from Burntwire.  :D  Those guys really can sniff out some great stuff!
Giants cover originals and D covers? Could be lost forever.

At least one A series is out there. I remember it being for sale for awhile. I think A3 cover?

But check this out....
DMG cover exists....SirPaul.
PHB cover exists......Secret.
Dietes&Demigods exists......same owner as before. Hasn't changed hands. :wink:
Monster Manual cover exists.....Hollywood dude.

Time is on our side here. As owners of these materials feel comfortable with selling them we are gonna see more of them. I suspect a few more than a few survived. People are just nervous to put them up since the artists could arguably make a claim to get the work back. The safest bet is to buy the work from the artist directly or know someone who has done so before they sell to you.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:13 am 

Most recently an OCE. It feels like a bit of history & is great to have and compare to the Rules Cyclopedia which are the rules I started playing with.

A signed print by Larry Elmore my dad got me for my 19th Bday.

Earliest: I guess it would be my first D&D item, the Dawn of the Emperors boxed set. I remember my dad taking my brother & I into town so that we could each buy our own worlds & seeing it & knowing I had found mine.

One acquisition to come that my friend has with him that I will be thrilled to get back (and not blank anymore!) - a TSR 1995 notebook which has spent a few months trekking round games fairs this year which Larry Elmore signed &  has drawn a sketch in. :)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:25 am 

Favourite original acquisitions must be my UK Basic rulebooks (although one of my copies is now in other hands :cry: ) and my Monster Manual. The concept and the artwork just blew me away in those early heady days.

More recently it has to be the Oz Basic rulebook (where have they all gone?!?) and the Oz G/D mono combo pack. In both cases I didn't realise what I was getting until they arrived.

And a couple of pieces of Sutherland Tekumel artwork courtesy of stormber.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:45 am 

Definitely the Immortal set with its wonderful golden box.
I've desired it for many years.

So getting it was an experience!! :D

Have a nice day
Giorgio

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:29 pm 

Now that I think back a little more...

I remember buying T1 at either Michicon or Wintercon 1979. I had no idea it was even being published and seeing it at the TSR booth was awesome. I bought it - my first ever module purchase! That must have been on a Friday, because we were playing it the next day. Funny thing is if it was Wintercon, I bought my tourney version of Ghost Tower at the same time, but damned if it was as important!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Now that I think back a little more...

I remember buying T1 at either Michicon or Wintercon 1979. I had no idea it was even being published and seeing it at the TSR booth was awesome. I bought it - my first ever module purchase! That must have been on a Friday, because we were playing it the next day. Funny thing is if it was Wintercon, I bought my tourney version of Ghost Tower at the same time, but damned if it was as important!

8)  8)  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm 

By far my most exciting acquisition would have to be my red boxed basic rules set back around 1983.  I'd played actual D&D only once or twice before but had often played a sort of home brew swords and sorcery game with my friends.  I can't really call what we did roleplaying, since at age 8 or 9 we were far more interested in just killing monsters and looting their treasure.   Finally I owned the actual game!   I was so excited I opened up the box in the car and played the solo adventure against Bargle on the drive from the mall to my home.

I've still got it too, but the cover on the players manual is now split, the die crayon is missing and I cut the box up to make part of a grade school science project.

In recent times, my most exciting acquisitions would have to a collection of used rule books (Dragonlance Adventures, Book of Artifacts, Monstrous Manual, Monster Manual II) I found in a used book store.  I had just started playing again after about ten years of being out of it. Finding these four books for dirt cheap alerted me to the fact that the books I had wanted as a child, but could not afford, were still available if I looked in the right places.  They really put the bug in me to start acquiring more and more and more...

Of course getting my first OCE a few months back was also pretty gosh darn exciting.  I over paid it but I'm still glad I bought it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:16 am 

OH YEAH! I FORGOT- i HAVE AN ALMOST COMPLTE COLECTION OF THE MINI REPRINTS...THEY ARE COOL VBUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE SEEING THINGS AFTER READING FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NOW....I ONLY NEED A COUPLE MORE AND THEN i HAVE THE FULL SET

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm 

It happened this morning.
I opened a parcel of multiple items and one of the items was a red box basic rules.  Didn't even realised I wanted it!
It was near mint, unread and previously unloved. A set of dice still in wrap with crayon.
I haven't seen one of these since I chucked my cut to pieces wreck of a box I had when it was replaced with AD&D books over 20 years ago.  I've read both books cover to cover and spent the whole time transported back to that time when I got my first D&D box as a young boy!
It will be read again tonight, I'm even tempted to roll myself up a character and go fight some goblins, skeletons and a rust monster!

Of course that aside, my ST1 bought me a great holiday this summer and as yet I'm certainly not missing it!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm 

It happened this morning.
I opened a parcel of multiple items and one of the items was a red box basic rules.  Didn't even realised I wanted it!
It was near mint, unread and previously unloved. A set of dice still in wrap with crayon.
I haven't seen one of these since I chucked my cut to pieces wreck of a box I had when it was replaced with AD&D books over 20 years ago.  I've read both books cover to cover and spent the whole time transported back to that time when I got my first D&D box as a young boy!
It will be read again tonight, I'm even tempted to roll myself up a character and go fight some goblins, skeletons and a rust monster!

Of course that aside, my ST1 bought me a great holiday this summer and as yet I'm certainly not missing it!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:27 am 

Last year a friend of my wife gave her a bag of old D&D stuff for me that had been stored in a tool box in her garage for the past few years.

"There are some old roleplaying books. I was going to throw them away" she said, "they're not very interesting, but I thought you might want them. They're just those rubbishy fighting fantasy books."

To say I was slightly suprised when I found them to be the original d&d box set - men & magic, monsters and treasure etc plus a copy of greyhawk is an understatement! It just like the early 70s again when I was 11 and had been lent the originals by a guy from the local games group.

There was even a yellow judges guild refs screen to go with them!

There was no way I would ever be able afford them to buy today. We've now gone back to original d&d and use them instead of the new books.

Andy

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 am 

hey andy! nice to see you have found your way here at last :D

go put a msg in the "introduce yourself" thread :)

hope all is well?

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous