What was your most exciting acquisition?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:16 pm 

I remember vividly the evening my dad came home from work with my Player's Handbook.  It was either late 78 or early 79.  Seems like it must have been winter.  Dark, Wisconsin evening (5:30-ish). The Big Books were still new, and everyone wanted them.  I think I was one of the last in my group to get the PHB.  I can remember dropping into the sofa and cracking it open.  There was so MUCH to read.  Ahhh, that was exciting.

Aside from that, in past few years, the most exciting acquisitions I've made so far were my first whitey, and my Inverness.  You know the feeling:  something you've read a ton about, heard about for ages, and wanted badly finally rests in your hands.  It doesn't have to be rare to make obtaining it exciting.  

So come on, everyone.  Let's hear about your most exciting acquisitions.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:40 pm 

I don't really have any big ass items in my collection, but definitely my coolest acq is my OCE, and my Deities and Demigods with the Cthulhu mythos. The OCE box also has all the supplements in it (well four anyway) and it has a fun "complete " feel to it. But I LOVE Erol Otus art, so you can imagine how pleased I was with the D&DG!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:47 pm 

One of my most exciting acquisitions was also one of my most embarassing.  When I first started collecting, I saw an L3 in mint up for auction.  I just had to have it, because I love everything to do with dwarves.  The auction said it was rare and not mass produced so I went for it.  I won it with a bid of $129.00.  Thats right, it's not a typo.  

When it arrived, it was indeed Mint.  I carefully read the module and was very happy with it.  Then I found this website and the joy ran from my body.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 pm 

in recent times, its my PotVQ, but in days gone by, it was my very first acquisition: Q1. i was totally buzzing when i got that! :)

as well as that, it was my very first set of dice :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:59 pm 

For me it had o be when I won my 1st R-series modules. I had chased them for years, and then finally back in February, I won an auction with R1 & R3. Needless to say. I was very happy. :)   I am also happy to say that they did not disappoint at all. I still love them. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:For me it had o be when I won my 1st R-series modules. I had chased them for years, and then finally back in February, I won an auction with R1 & R3. Needless to say. I was very happy. :)  I am also happy to say that they did not disappoint at all. I still love them. :wink:

Yeah, I love the Rs.  Simple layout, basic colors, great illustrations.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:39 pm 

Has to be my second acquisition of Inverness & Tamoachan...in a lot that had the R's and some other stuff I paid bout 6 bucks a peice. I couldn't mail the cash to the guy fast enough ( Iowa I think ) , even overnighted it( IIRC Dbartman is the proud owner of one of them # 182 , not sure who I sold the Tomoachan to #212 )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:59 pm 

As a kid with little money, my favorite acquistion was the Giant's Throne that went with the Dragon Lords Giants series.  First, I had to collect the ten giants and then send them off to get the throne.  I had to save like crazy just to afford them (my budget at the time only allowed me the 99 cent minis, and the giants were $9.99 each--a fortune!).  When I started collecting RPGs, the Melee books from Metagaming were important because that was my first RPG experience.  For D&D, I would have to say my first ST1--electric.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:45 pm 

First recollection of an acquisition: Expert Box Set (blue cover Isle of Dread included)

Favorite recent addition to the collection : The Dragon #5.

Recent ver 3.5 buys: MM3 & DMG2

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:59 pm 

tfm wrote:As a kid with little money, my favorite acquistion was the Giant's Throne that went with the Dragon Lords Giants series. First, I had to collect the ten giants and then send them off to get the throne. I had to save like crazy just to afford them (my budget at the time only allowed me the 99 cent minis, and the giants were $9.99 each--a fortune!). When I started collecting RPGs, the Melee books from Metagaming were important because that was my first RPG experience. For D&D, I would have to say my first ST1--electric.

I've been looking for a Giant's Throne for years... even a picture I've never seen.  If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to either PM me or post a picture of it to assuage my curiosity?   :D

As for greatest acquisition, I'd have to say Lawrence Schick's OB3 back in 1995 when I first started collecting off the net.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:29 pm 

For me it must be a box of stock I got from a woman who's father had owned a games shop. The stock was a window display that had been sitting in a boarded up shop for the past 20 years. She dumped all the stuff on her bed in a heap and took a photo to put on eBay. I asked her to put a $300 BIM on it, and closed. I got a whole set of mint 1st Wilderlands, a mint 1st Bunnies & Burrows, Wyrms Footnotes Issue 2, and a whole raft of unusual rarities I haven't found out about yet. It was sweet. I must have made about a grand from that deal and I still have half of the stuff to shift.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:42 pm 

Here's the Giant's Throne:

As you can see, a career in photography is not in the cards.  It looks like they went with a Norse theme.  The throne itself comes in three pieces, detailed in-the-round, and is 5cm in height when assembled.  Even though you can't really see it in the image, the seat is detailed with furs, and the backside with planks.  At least you know what to look for now.  Most miniature auctions--the lots anyway--are rarely detailed in the descriptions.  Most people wouldn't know if they were selling the minis for Thane Tostig, for example, unless they bought them themselves.  They're like dragons teeth too.  Enjoy!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:27 pm 

I would most likely have to say the $10 Character Archaic...well it was marketed as Character Archair or something like that. Next would be the 2nd edtion Talisman with all the expansions, including the Dragons one, that a friend moving sold me for $60.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:54 pm 

Daimajin wrote:Has to be my second acquisition of Inverness & Tamoachan...in a lot that had the R's and some other stuff I paid bout 6 bucks a peice. I couldn't mail the cash to the guy fast enough ( Iowa I think ) , even overnighted it( IIRC Dbartman is the proud owner of one of them # 182 , not sure who I sold the Tomoachan to #212 )

That was a nice one for me :D

Not as good a deal as you got though...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 pm 

My most exceting find was when a guy at a used book store threw in a copy of the Jade Hare when I bought 5 Gamma World Mods.  It had no cover after all :P

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 pm 

I bought nearly the entire Gaz series at Gen Con for $1 each. TSR had a clearance booth with a bunch of stuff in milk crates - yes, milk crates. I was my groups (basic/expert) D&D DM so I wanted them for use. I never used them, though. I was not real excited and it certainly was not a "great" acquisition at the time - they were just more modules for my closet. Now, I am damn happy I picked them up.

I have bought loads of stuff off ebay, but never hit the jackpot with a $5 R1 or anything like that. Sure, I have picked up plenty of lots with a hidden B9 or something and thought that was cool.

I recently picked up a couple Ares Magazines realy cheap and they showed up in mega mint condition with original mailers. That was a cool day.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:49 pm 

My original copy of the 1e DMs Guide. It was the coolest of the three original hardbacks, it was the hardest to find in my local backwater, I was like 13 or 14 and had no money ... finally getting my grubby little paws on my own copy was a great day.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:48 pm 

A1 when I was a youngen. I have a vivid memory of that. 8)

C2 Roslof original cover art. Luckily I had enough money in the bank to cover the purchase when it went up for sale. I still love looking at it. Getting Orange B3 in the mail was a very close 2nd. :D

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Next