Sniping
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:26 am 

I know this topic has been brought up before but I was tired of looking for it.  Sniping :!: I would like to try this and am unsure of where to start, I miss all sorts of auctions waiting for them to end and losing out in the final seconds to somebody with a snipe in place.

Which snipe program is the most reliable?

Are they safe to use? (IE can your info get in the hands of a third party)

Does sniping work?  (I am sure it does, its quite common from what I have seen)

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks,

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:34 am 

I think they are safe. I use AuctionStealer.com. It has only failed on my a couple of times and once was for a friend.  :(  I probably didn't confirm the bid or something at that.

I used to use esnipe until they started charging. I am thinking there are probably a bunch more new ones.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:46 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:I think they are safe. I use AuctionStealer.com. It has only failed on my a couple of times and once was for a friend. :( I probably didn't confirm the bid or something at that.

I used to use esnipe until they started charging. I am thinking there are probably a bunch more new ones.

sniping programs....bah.

old skool is the best :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:42 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
sniping programs....bah.

Ditto,  Nothing beats that near heart attack when waiting for that last refresh with 5 seconds left before you hit the snipe  :twisted:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:45 am 

I've been known to snipe once in awhile . . .

(umm, okay, sometimes I even set a snipe on auctions with 6 mintues to go so I don't have to hang around till 6 seconds are left . . .  :D  )

I use auctionsniper.  They charge 1% of the total winning price with a maximum of $10 and a minimum of 0.25 cents.  They haven't failed me yet, but they do need your ebay login and password.  Still, I imagine any sniper software does and auctionsniper seems pretty reliable.

I can paypal them "funds" whenever my current balance runs low (any amount I want).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:03 am 

I think most of the collectors here snipe. Its the only way to play the game. :D  It helps keep your bidding list low, which can save you money once in a while when you spot something that slips through the regular nets.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:01 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:I think they are safe. I use AuctionStealer.com. It has only failed on my a couple of times and once was for a friend. :( I probably didn't confirm the bid or something at that.

sniping programs....bah.

Ditto that. Nothing like F5 every two or three secons the last minute or two. Having to set the alarm for 2:43 AM so you can bid. I may sound sarcastic but this is for real this is the path I have choosen. Can I get a "Get a Life".....

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:11 pm 

Auctionsniper, every time.  Just think, if r_b's alarm hadn't gone off, I would have won that beautiful 1st print woody!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:13 pm 

Marlith wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

sniping programs....bah.

Ditto that. Nothing like F5 every two or three secons the last minute or two. Having to set the alarm for 2:43 AM so you can bid. I may sound sarcastic but this is for real this is the path I have choosen. Can I get a "Get a Life".....

I think over a year ago I was posting on these forums how I sniped "manually" and used the F5, dual-screen, alt-tab method.

But . . . I had to get realistic. I have a full-time job, my ebay selling (which is at least a 25 hour a week job and usually more), my year-and-a-half daughter, my wife as well as home chores/cleaning. I'm at about 5 hours of sleep a night . . . I have no free time . . . ever . . . and if I do I end up putting in some Valuation Board hours . . .

So, sniping software is on the menu for sure. I couldn't get by without it!!!

:D :D :D :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:28 pm 

You can always throw in a bid in the thousands of dollars mark in the last minute. That works well for some people. :wink:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:32 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You can always throw in a bid in the thousands of dollars mark in the last minute. That works well for some people. :wink:

Till you get two people doing that and the next thing you know you paid $1137.43  8O for an H2 or the like. Anyway isn't everyone sitting there in front of their computers looking at new listings as they appear so why not manually snipe :? . Now there is a good software application. Something that scrolls the new listings for 30 minutes across your screen like a ticker. :idea:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:25 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Auctionsniper, every time. Just think, if r_b's alarm hadn't gone off, I would have won that beautiful 1st print woody!

ah but stephen what you DIDNT know is that he had every alarm in the house set, just in case :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:57 pm 

Ah. Takes me back to that moment when the Bottle City level of Castle Grehawk ended.... :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:19 pm 

I'm with Al - manual sniping all the way. Using a sniping program just seems wrong somehow. Nothing like waiting until 6 seconds to go, wondering if you've misjudged the time and your bid won't register, or even when you've bid and you see the high bidder message - will someone else come in over the top?

I still think the best anti-climax you can ever get is to set up a monster snipe on an item that is still very cheap... but when you pull the trigger, you get the 'your bid is insufficient to register' message.

The only time I have ever conciously decided not to snipe was last week - for one of Stormber's auctions (the character sheets with the Wham cover art). I saw Brian was bidding, and as he'd just done me a big favour with a USA-only auction, I couldn't bring myself to snipe. So I bid with a couple of hours to go, to give him a chance to outbid me if he wanted them. Never again though...  :D

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:30 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I'm with Al - manual sniping all the way. Using a sniping program just seems wrong somehow. Nothing like waiting until 6 seconds to go, wondering if you've misjudged the time and your bid won't register, or even when you've bid and you see the high bidder message - will someone else come in over the top?

I still think the best anti-climax you can ever get is to set up a monster snipe on an item that is still very cheap... but when you pull the trigger, you get the 'your bid is insufficient to register' message.

The only time I have ever conciously decided not to snipe was last week - for one of Stormber's auctions (the character sheets with the Wham cover art). I saw Brian was bidding, and as he'd just done me a big favour with a USA-only auction, I couldn't bring myself to snipe. So I bid with a couple of hours to go, to give him a chance to outbid me if he wanted them. Never again though... :D

Regards

Mike

Sorry Mike.  :oops:  I was actually going to leave them go after you topped me, but in lieu of some other auctions going sour for me, I decided to come back to that one. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:38 pm 

Ah, innocent semantics...

=

http://www.bidnip.com/ ; 250 winning bids = $40.
(16 cents each, regardless of whether the win is $10 or $1,000 with no premium for non-US currency auctions. Fairly decent/quick-to-use auction management system, too).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:46 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Ah, innocent semantics...

=

http://www.bidnip.com/ ; 250 winning bids = $40.
(16 cents each, regardless of whether the win is $10 or $1,000 with no premium for non-US currency auctions. Fairly decent/quick-to-use auction management system, too).

I use auctionsniper, and if you do it right its free. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I use auctionsniper, and if you do it right its free. :wink:

*g*. The trick Frank mentioned, or otherwise?

Personally, I've got no probs with 16 cents for wins only. At that sort of level, I don't have to think about throwing in a tentative snipe.
(Beats the $1 fixed charge some other sniping services make for non-US currency bids, which are a major pain for users located outwith the States).

Next