The box that held the Orange B3's
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 pm 

I am acquainted with someone who was a TSR staffer during the time period in question (my wife is friends with his wife). He still has his OB3 copy. Since he hasn't worked for TSR in years he might be willing to tell us what he knows. Since it would probably be a few days before I could contact him, does anybody have any good questions that I should ask?  :?:

BTW, it could be that he doesn't know anything. He was a writer but not involved in the production of the OB3. I just thought that it couldn't hurt to ask.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:26 am 

Well, the consensus appears to be that:

1.  The box I have contained 24 OB3s, and was possibly one of a few boxes retrieved from the dumpster....definitely not THE ONE box that held all surviving copies.

Might be a good question to ask him how he got his copy, and if he knew how other staffers got their copies....did anyone he knows get any from the dumpster?  If so, what do they remember seeing....dozens of copies?  boxes?  Was it a free for all or hush hush?

2.  It's likely that the TSR staff copies and copies retrieved from the dumpster were not the only ones salvaged....some were already distributed and likely were not destroyed/returned to TSR.

3.  Rough estimates of surviving copies range anywhere from 72 to around 300.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:49 pm 

Okay, I've talked to my staffer acquaintance but I'm afraid he can't shed much light on the matter. His name is Mike Price and he was employed by TSR from '80 to '83. He worked in Design and Development and was involved in the creation of 2nd ed. Gamma World, among others.

Mike doesn't remember who obtained his copy for him (after all, it was over 20 years ago!), but he says that everyone in his department knew that the OB3 would be a collector's item so everyone made sure they kept a copy or two. He recalls that there around "a couple dozen" people in his department at the time.

Since the anonymous warehouse staffer mentioned earlier said, "there were several copies floating around, and not in the editorial or creative offices", and Mike confirms that there were 24-48 (or more) copies scored by the denizens of the creative offices, I think it is safe to assume that there was more than 1 case lifted that day.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't find out more.

Previous