The box that held the Orange B3's
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:54 pm 

i worked for a game distributor for several years and we had to order module quantities in the minimum amount that could be held in one box: 12 or 24 at a time. dragon magazines had to be ordered in boxes of 72. that being said, and i`m working off of 20 year old memory, but at the gencon auction the year before i bought the first one sold, there was one up for sale, but the minimum bid was $250. i was 15 and my brother-in-law wouldn`t loan me the money so i (and everyone else ) passed. in discussing it, frank mentzer mentioned that 3 or 4 boxes, approximately, had been rescued from the dumpster. so i have always put a lot of stock in a number of about 72 to 144 in existence, since frank was a lot closer to the truth of this than anyone else i know and i trust him completely. but all of my info is third hand.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:53 am 

Ah. But the problem is they are not coming from a single source as of yet.
:? Or 2 or 3 for that matter.

If lots of these were available, surely these would be selling left and right considering everything else around them of rarity goes for the mid thousand dollar range (approximately....you know what I mean).

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:44 am 

Well, there's certainly more than 24 out there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:50 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Well, there's certainly more than 24 out there.

well i just know, that its simple human nature. you stick something in a dumpster and if its interesting, someone will grab it. if you walk past and see a box of D&D modules, would you ignore it? i think not :D

there would have most certainly been some in the system already and there is no way most ppl would send something back if it was recalled either.

this is certainly gonna be one of them situations, where its going to be a guessing game and i most certainly think there is every possibility that there could be a few hundred of them out there, in whatever form, whether it be in batches, or spread throughout the globe individually.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 pm 

I'd bet there's a good chance some wag grabbed a box, brought it home and forgot about it. There's probably a stash of 24 shrinked copies in an attic somewhere.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:49 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:some wag grabbed a box

Sounds like a good prom date.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 pm 

I am acquainted with someone who was a TSR staffer during the time period in question (my wife is friends with his wife). He still has his OB3 copy. Since he hasn't worked for TSR in years he might be willing to tell us what he knows. Since it would probably be a few days before I could contact him, does anybody have any good questions that I should ask?  :?:

BTW, it could be that he doesn't know anything. He was a writer but not involved in the production of the OB3. I just thought that it couldn't hurt to ask.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:26 am 

Well, the consensus appears to be that:

1.  The box I have contained 24 OB3s, and was possibly one of a few boxes retrieved from the dumpster....definitely not THE ONE box that held all surviving copies.

Might be a good question to ask him how he got his copy, and if he knew how other staffers got their copies....did anyone he knows get any from the dumpster?  If so, what do they remember seeing....dozens of copies?  boxes?  Was it a free for all or hush hush?

2.  It's likely that the TSR staff copies and copies retrieved from the dumpster were not the only ones salvaged....some were already distributed and likely were not destroyed/returned to TSR.

3.  Rough estimates of surviving copies range anywhere from 72 to around 300.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:49 pm 

Okay, I've talked to my staffer acquaintance but I'm afraid he can't shed much light on the matter. His name is Mike Price and he was employed by TSR from '80 to '83. He worked in Design and Development and was involved in the creation of 2nd ed. Gamma World, among others.

Mike doesn't remember who obtained his copy for him (after all, it was over 20 years ago!), but he says that everyone in his department knew that the OB3 would be a collector's item so everyone made sure they kept a copy or two. He recalls that there around "a couple dozen" people in his department at the time.

Since the anonymous warehouse staffer mentioned earlier said, "there were several copies floating around, and not in the editorial or creative offices", and Mike confirms that there were 24-48 (or more) copies scored by the denizens of the creative offices, I think it is safe to assume that there was more than 1 case lifted that day.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't find out more.

Previous