The box that held the Orange B3's
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:00 am 

a2jeff wrote:Unless Harry is misrepresenting the truth, we know it certainly did hold OB3, based on his statement that he retrieved this from the dumpster.

Erm, did you really mean to say that in public, Jeff? :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:30 pm 

Sure, because the probability of a misrepresentation on this point is virtually zero....nothing controversial in that statement as far as I'm concerned.     :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:so do y'all think there might be more of the OB3's? if so what kinda figure are we looking at?

From what I suspected yes. :) From information that I was given last night it is almost certain now, and the figure that was indicated to me was a lot more than 72. :wink:

Adam Shultz wrote:What info is that?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:12 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:so do y'all think there might be more of the OB3's? if so what kinda figure are we looking at?

From what I suspected yes. :) From information that I was given last night it is almost certain now, and the figure that was indicated to me was a lot more than 72. :wink:

Adam Shultz wrote:What info is that?

[ Image ]

Sorry, I was kind of waiting to see if my messenger was going to post here first. Without getting into specific details, here are a few pertinent links from about 9 or 10 years ago on the frp.marketplace site:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.frp.marketplace/msg/2899a1f7e9b25a99?hl=en

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.frp.marketplace/msg/5cb319b7f145cea4?dmode=source&hl=en

These links kind of confirm my suspicions and would certainly help explain why there does not seem to be much consolidation of sources of OB3. Anyone else have thoughts?

Aside, that is a funny ass jpeg. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:10 pm 

:D I was trying to employ something to demonstate my patient impatience. But that is good news since I was afraid someone would let the floodgates loose on those items. I have too much wrapped up in mine to see the value plummet from saturation.

I wouldn't wait too long for Matthais to show up.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:18 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote::D I was trying to employ something to demonstate my patient impatience. But that is good news since I was afraid someone would let the floodgates loose on those items. I have too much wrapped up in mine to see the value plummet from saturation.

I wouldn't wait too long for Matthais to show up. :wink:

Above and beyond Matthais' disappearing act, dont you think it is possible that at least more than 300 exist out there?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:20 pm 

And granted we are not talking about a huge amount, but certainly a lot more than the 72 as it is rumored. As a matter of point it seems Jeff's box discovery alone would dispell the rumor of 1 case of 72, becuase as he states it is pretty clear, the box he has only has room room for ~36. That to me would mean that we are already drawing on false information. :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:30 pm 

i think the difference with this item lies with the fact that people quickly realized this was an unusual item with the TSR recall. The few that neglected the recall probably would be inclined to revisit its value over time, no? Perhaps not, but I am thinking at the very least there isn't a motherlode lurking out there anywhere. At least I hope not.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:35 pm 

Where did this urban legend of one case originate, anyways? And didn't Aaron Leeder have a full case that he trickled out bit by bit?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:12 pm 

I have always been a bit concerned with the entire concept that there was an instant recall and nearly every copy was returned.

Remember, we are talking about a time when there was no internet and no cell phones (a scant few rich folk had car phones or bag phones). Face it, communication was not what it is today. Crap, hardly anyone had a freaking computer back then. So I think more were disseminated than we all know. The real question is who, if anyone, had a case or two stashed somewhere and still does today. I highly doubt it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:16 pm 

I would think that retailers wouldn't want to stock items TSR deemed inappropriate considering the growing concerns of religious zealots, etc.

If you didn't sell the items then you would have to send them back to get your money. I just can't see anyone wanting to eat that expense back then.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:32 pm 

bbarsh wrote:So I think more were disseminated than we all know.

That would depend on what base number you're working from! :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:19 pm 

i dunno what all the fuss is anyway :)

its just a module with a different colour cover :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:38 pm 

I agree with Al. Everyone just send me your copies and I will get a good tally together on this worthless item.  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:I agree with Al. Everyone just send me your copies and I will get a good tally together on this worthless item. :D

Ok, they're on their way.  We were supposed to shred them first, right?   8O  8O  8O  Right?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:04 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Where did this urban legend of one case originate, anyways? And didn't Aaron Leeder have a full case that he trickled out bit by bit?

Frank, I was working off the Acaeum listing purely which indicated this, and thought it odd once I got this box because it clearly didn't hold 72 copies.  Not sure the history of the listing information though obviously...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:I agree with Al. Everyone just send me your copies and I will get a good tally together on this worthless item. :D

Ok, they're on their way. We were supposed to shred them first, right? 8O 8O 8O Right?

Of course, I mean thats what I did with mine too. :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:26 pm 

I've never doubted that at LEAST 200 copies made it out, and I suspect more. There are just far too many out there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext