Thank You to KillJoy- The Killjoy Technique (No TSR content)
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:08 am 

Again there is no 'collecting' content to this post.

I would like to thank Killjoy.  I used his technique in dealing with 'shady' sellers of RPG items.  As many of you may or may not know, Killjoy oftens offers to 'resolve' certain problems we have regarding shady RPG dealers we run into in the UK.  He is far more eloquent than I am in stating how he goes about it, but basically it involves showing up at the dealers place in person and having a 'chat' with him.  I used this technique yesterday here in the States.

Here's what happened.  I contracted with a concrete contractor to take out my mother's old deteriorating driveway and put in a new one.  This contractor came highly referenced.  I paid him $1500 up front on a job costing $3200 (a real blow to my collecting budget).  A week before the contractor was suppose to do the job he postphoned due to being behind on his schedule.  No problem.  The next time he was supposed to show up, he didn't.  He would not return phone calls.  In short, I believed he had run with the money.  Though some online detective work I was able to find out his address and I then employed the Killjoy Technique.

That's right folks, I showed up on his doorstep.  He was not home.  In fact, this address was his brother's address and his wife answered the door.  I stated who I was, the problem, and asked if she knew where I could get a hold of her brother-in-law.  She stonewalled me saying that she did not know where he lived.  However her 10 year old daughter told me that two doors down some men lived that worked for this contractor.  So off I went.  It turns out that one of these men is the contractor's foreman.  I discussed the problem.  In short, the foreman has agreed to do the job at the end of this week.  The foreman said the contractor did not inform him of this job.  I showed the foreman the contract and he said he would honor the contract.  He was disgusted with the contractor.  The foreman is doing the job for the rest of the money $1700 which means he is doing it at cost to himself.  I still have not heard from the contractor and probably will not.  

The Foreman said that showing up to his house "really got my attention."  So the Killjoy Technique was a great success.  

Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I would like to state that I have no evidence Killjoy has ever been anything but a gentleman in dealing with shady dealers.

To Killjoy:  A pint of good ale to you, sir.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:20 am 

lol  :oops:

thankyou for the comments - most flattering !

well tbh i get sick of me and friends getting shat on, so its the only way to go and resolve something sometimes. it mostly always works, but i never forget.

i still have one outstanding issue that i havent forgotten and will keep my eye out. winterwords got stiffed by some guy ebaying from a shop in liverpool.

i have a few feelers out and am waiting for them to surface again - they always do and i will go pay a visit then.

if it works out and you find the person - the look on their face is priceless.

my mum said only last week - i should smile more cos i look like a serial killer when i dont  :?

i dont know how to take that really :)

but seriously mart, am well chuffed you got a result. nice one.

a good example for all, that a little legwork and determination generally pays off.

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:35 am 

The looks on the brother-in-laws wife and the foreman were priceless.

When I first figured out I was getting screwed, I said to myself, "well Killjoy is not here, so I will do this myself."  

You should know that I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 270 lbs.  And i'm not all that fat either.  So when I showed up on their doorstep I'm sure I made quite an impression.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:03 am 

Prufrock wrote:The looks on the brother-in-laws wife and the foreman were priceless.

When I first figured out I was getting screwed, I said to myself, "well Killjoy is not here, so I will do this myself."

You should know that I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 270 lbs. And i'm not all that fat either. So when I showed up on their doorstep I'm sure I made quite an impression.

Martin

heheheh good one :)

the foreman probably shat himself :D

its nice to see tho in the end, someone doing the right thing, dont ya think?

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:07 am 

Yes, the foreman seemed quite embarrassed by the whole thing.  I will let you know if it all works out - I believe it will, but will not know until later this week when concrete is actually being poured.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm 

Prufrock wrote:The looks on the brother-in-laws wife and the foreman were priceless.

You should know that I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 270 lbs. And i'm not all that fat either. So when I showed up on their doorstep I'm sure I made quite an impression.

Martin

Wow, Pru, I will keep you in mind if I need  a D&D "bouncer" anytime soon.  You can just stand around and snarl or something.
  I had a similar situation in the pre-Ebay days.  Back then when you bought or sold from someone there was a lot of trust involved, because on the marketplace all a man had was his word Ripoffs were actually uncommon but sometimes happened.  I had a guy stiff me on a $100 buy once, luckily my wife's relatives all live in Independence Missouri and this guy lived in one of the small towns right around Kansas City.  For weeks and weeks this guy I had bought some stuff from kept putting me off even though I had sent him a $100 mo and he acknowledged he'd received it.  The next time I was in KC with my wife visiting her parents, I took an afternoon to drive over to his place (I had the address from mailing him the payment).  I tried to look like an asshole with nothing to lose, wearing a tshirt, jeans, not taking a shower that day or washing my hair (or anything else), wearing the dark mirror shades, etc.  It worked, the guy was about crapping himself when I told him I drove all the way up from Dallas just to get my money, he was profuse in his apologies and wrote me a check right there, I went directly to his bank and cashed it.  I don't know if it's a method that would always work or is always safe, but it seems to take the deadbeats by surprise and that usually leads to getting what you want.  The internet is a placed to hide anonymously for most of the earthworm type of humans, when you turn over the rocks and put them blinking in the sunlight most become the gutless punks they really are.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:25 pm 

Hey Mike B,

I remember reading about this when I first found the Acaeum.  I don't remember what thread you were in, but I definately remember you telling that same story.  It was great then and great now.  I did not quite dress the 'part' as you did, but my size scares the hell out of a lot of people.  It's right about then that I tell them of my four years in the infantry.  I usually get what I want.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:41 pm 

Killjoy reminds me of that Chris guy from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels...the honourable "contractor" with the kid......

My experience with contractors in general is that they are out to screw you up the ass hard and splintery, and when they get caught they just default to "business as usual"...interestingly enough, I have only run into straight shooters on eBay. But I  did get into some kind of war of words on a political website where I got labelled a terrorist for my views! Now I am not 270 lbs of hard nosed pissed off D&D collector bone&gristle knife in my teeth badass SOB (you got about a hundred pounds on me there, mate) but I doubt they would have said that stuff to my face. Thus the internet doth make cowards of us all....well, some anyway.  

Bad enough when dirtbags crap on your head and expect you to take it, some of those bastards actually want you to say thanks for the hat!!

OK, soapbox rant officially over!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:48 pm 

I have never gone over to a contractor's house to chew him out, but I have gone to business offices and sat in their waiting room until they wrote our heating and air conditioning business a check for the money they owed us.

Interestingly, I HAVE had three different customers come over to our company offices and chew me out.....but in all three cases the ass-chewer in question was in the wrong office of the wrong company.

One guy even admitted he was shouting at me because the guys next door were not in their office.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:25 am 

Wow....mon dieu...... 8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:04 am 

RWilson wrote:Killjoy reminds me of that Chris guy from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels...the honourable "contractor" with the kid......

lol :D :D :D hes a great character btw as well.

nah i aint nothing like that - i AM a nice guy honest :)

i aint nothing special and i certainly aint a giant like pru thats for sure, but what i am is determined and i am willing to stand my ground and you dont move me easily.

prb no different than most of the other folks here, when they have a point to prove over one thing or another.

someone has to fight the fight....

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:04 am 

Update,

The job is finished!!!  I think I got a good product out all this mess.  

When the cement truck arrived, I went up to the guy driving and asked what the load was he was carrying.  He told me 4000 psi concrete.  I asked if it had fiber fill (which I ordered to make the concrete stronger and more durable) he said it did not.  This is how the contractor was trying to make more profit for himself by screwing me.  I sent this batch back.  Another truck arrived 2 hours later with the correct concrete.  The contractor then forgot to put in one expansion joint and I had to make him place this while the concrete was wet.  Then contractor decided the job was done and wanted to be payed.  I told him he had not caulked, as in the contract, and he got pissed and asked to see the contract.  I showed him and the expansion joints were caulked.

The Killjoy Technique was a great success and probably saved me quite a lot of money.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:12 am 

Prufrock wrote:The Killjoy Technique was a great success and probably saved me quite a lot of money.

Martin

lol !!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

glad you got a result chummer - feels pretty damn good doesnt it? :)

hardly my technique tho (as flattering as it sounds) - sure there are many folks here and elsewhere who would do the same.

i just have a very short patience span and get pissed real easy when someone is trying it on and so i deal with it, nuff said. seems to generally get a result so why not.

hope the building work goes well not mart - nice one!

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:58 am 

Prufrock wrote:Update,

The job is finished!!! I think I got a good product out all this mess.

When the cement truck arrived, I went up to the guy driving and asked what the load was he was carrying. He told me 4000 psi concrete. I asked if it had fiber fill (which I ordered to make the concrete stronger and more durable) he said it did not. This is how the contractor was trying to make more profit for himself by screwing me. I sent this batch back. Another truck arrived 2 hours later with the correct concrete. The contractor then forgot to put in one expansion joint and I had to make him place this while the concrete was wet. Then contractor decided the job was done and wanted to be payed. I told him he had not caulked, as in the contract, and he got pissed and asked to see the contract. I showed him and the expansion joints were caulked.

The Killjoy Technique was a great success and probably saved me quite a lot of money.

Martin

Wow.  Hats off to your perseverance, if you want anything done right nowadays it's really a pity you have to scream and scratch and bitch and moan.  We just had a really good result with a pair of independent contractors who built a wall in my last year in my study; a friend who had a patio poured had a nightmarish experince (like yours, they tried to screw him over every chance to make a better profit).  I've never understood screwing over customers for profit as it always bites you on the ass.  
    I worked for a real estate development company 20 years ago that would not pay contractors or negotiate cheaper payments instead of paying what they owed (otherwise the contractors wouldn't get paid at all).  Eventually all the local contractors wouldn't deal with them.  They went out of business and the guy had burned so many bridges in the ten years he was pulling this crap he couldn't find anyone to underwrite him anymore.  He ended up killing himself a few years ago (basically he drank himself to death) penniless and in debt.  He was a really nice guy too, I always wondered why he just didn't pay the contractors what he owed them instead of screwing them for every penny they had time and again; needless to say in my own business I've taken his example to heart.

Mike B.