Campaign Settings
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:01 pm 

Shingen wrote:How about the Empire of the Petal Throne?

Empire of the Petal Throne, though it had a system loosely based on that of D&D (and I use the term "loosely" quite loosely), was never billed as "Empire of the Petal Throne, a Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting." So it is neither Officially a D&D setting nor even, really, unofficially.

The original EPT is more of a cousin to D&D than a brother; the genetic drift is significant. For example, ability scores include Strength, Intelligence, Constitution, Psychic Ability, Dexterity, and Comeliness (the first appearance of that term, I might add, in a TSR product IIRC). Abilities were rolled for with a d100, not 3d6, and characters had a chance to add 5 or 10 every level to one of their ability scores on a roll of 81-99 or 00. All characters had "Original Skills" and "Professional Skills," "Original Skills" being a mix of Plebian, Skilled, and Noble skills (kinda like Secondary Skills in 1E AD&D), and "Professional Skills" being skills for the three familiar base classes from D&D fo the day, for Warriors, Priests, and Magic Users. "Skills" for Priests and Magic Users included their spells, and spells function rather differently in EPT than in D&D; for one, a spellcaster had a chance of failure (60% chance of failure at 1st level!), and spells were gained differently and haphazardly, and there were only three levels of spells.

So if there is an order of relation between D&D and other games from the early days of TSR, I'd say there is the following spectrum:

OD&D = OD&D only, including supplements

OD&D Brothers = The OD&D game as played by most folks outside Lake Geneva in the day, includes early Judges Guild products (which were essentialy Bob Bledsaw's home campaign), Warlock from Balboa, and Arduin from David Hargraves. Also includes AD&D and games derived from that line, plus Atlantis and Talislanta from Bard Games (which had a strong influence back into 3E D&D), Thieves' World from Gamelords, Role Aids from Mayfair Games, and early Harn products.

OD&D Cousins = Empire of the Petal Throne, Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World, Boot Hill, Top Secret, other games from TSR that loosely used elements from OD&D, but had significant differences in how they were designed.

OD&D Inspired = Other publisher products like Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, or even Traveller, and other non-OD&D systems that still have a haunting similarity to OD&D and/or dissimilarity that was inspired specifically by "things that were wrong" with OD&D.

Unrelated to OD&D = Later developments after that first iteration of game design, in which games broke completely from the OD&D mold, usually a conscious choice on the part of designers to be "different". All the CRT games from TSR in the mid-80's, such as Marvel Super Heroes, Gamma World Third Edition, and Conan (a system response to the Pacesetter Revolution of the time), Star Frontiers, Twilight 2000, Star Wars (d6), Star Trek, Powers & Perils, Ars Magica, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:17 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:James, great post. I love the attention to detail.

Shingen wrote:How about the Empire of the Petal Throne?

See my posts on pg 1 of this thread. EPT is a very detailed campaign setting, but has its own rules that are similar but not the same as OD&D. I get the impression that most people at the time considered it a distinct game. EPT might be classified as an "OD&D variant" under James' guidelines. But then again, you could also classify the original Met Alpha, Gamma World, or Boot Hill that way. :)

One way or another, arrangements were made with TSR

Someone brokered the deal, for a commission on every copy sold.  Between the commission, the author's commission (seperate!) and the special printing map, EPT was very expensive for the time.

It was also viewed as a different game, much like the Mars, Boot Hill, Top Secret and other games.

The big difference between EPT and Runequest is that people found it difficult to feel they were doing EPT right, everyone seemed to feel they could do RQ right. ;)

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:21 pm 

OD&D Inspired = Other publisher products like Runequest, Tunnels & Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, or even Traveller, and other non-OD&D systems that still have a haunting similarity to OD&D and/or dissimilarity that was inspired specifically by "things that were wrong" with OD&D.

I would note that RQ's setting, Glorantha, was the home of a series of board games that are older than the FRPG.  But, much of it was reactive and Steve Perrin's ideas that reacted to D&D.

Interesting how reactiveness drove so many things.

Regards,

Stephen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:12 am 

Nice list James.

Another thing that might qualify is the BECMID&D Pelinore setting of TSR UK's Imagine magazine. Then there is Thunder Rift (BECMID&D), Jakandor (2E), Council of Wyrms (2E), and Diablo (2E and 3E). Islandia was almost a BECMID&D setting, and even had a pre-production cover mock-up, but was canceled. Also, there were official TSR D&D-branded "settings" that weren't "campaigns", since they didn't have RPG iterations: the generic "World of D&D Gamebooks" (Endless Quest/Super Endless Quest/HeartQuest/Fantasy Forest) and "The Realm of the D&D Cartoon" (which had some nebulous connection with the World of Mystara since they shared some NPCs). I'd be interested in seeing a list of notable home-brew campaign settings that were made by people associated with TSR, but that were not fully published or which were swallowed up into a larger setting, such as Steve Marsh's Starstrands (the editor of the D&D Expert Set), the Lenore Isles (I forget whose setting that was before it became a part of Greyhawk - like Blackmoor within the Wilderlands, Greyhawk, and Mystara), and Kuntz's World of Kalibruhn. Oh, and I'd like to add that the name of the Known World planet was "Urt" prior to it being renamed "Mystara".

Shane

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm 

Okay, I found out that Lendore Isle was Len Lakofka's campaign. Does anyone know if any other persons' campaigns were incorporated into the World of Greyhawk?

Previous