1st Woodgrain Auction
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:46 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:whoa. That was weird. I cross posted by accident from another board. haha

In case anyone caught that. I love the delete button here. :lol:

Carry on!

I did. :wink:   Nice pic and CT comment. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:00 pm 

:wink:  I would love to regale you with more picts and stories but somethings must be kept private for awhile!

:lol: Now, how high is the bidding on this woodgrain thingy?  :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:31 pm 

Heya Paul,

Noticed you'd signed-in a couple of times today.

I'll settle for an explicit "sorry, not answering these", rather than just silence.
Thank you...

d.

harami2000 wrote:OK... I'll just re-post the original question here (plus the follow-ups), even though I'd rather not do so.
Would still prefer a PM response, Paul. Thank you, again.

<clip question sent via eBay, last Thursday>

Howdy Paul,

Could you please let me know the height of each of the OD&D 1st print books at the spine, to the nearest 1/4 mm if possible.
Would normally like to know the height of the centre page at the staples, but I'm certain I wouldn't want to open these books enough to slip a ruler inside.
If the guillotining is good, the cover should hopefully be very close to the same size. (Please let me know if it's not, or if there are any other problems taking measurements...).

Ditto, for the height of the centre fold of the reference sheets.

Many thanks,
David.
</clip>

A close-up of the text offset on the U&WA, per
viewtopic.php?p=21767&lighter=#21767

How the shades of red/green/blue on the cover text compare(d) with the other three 1st prints you had (two left now?).

What information you might have on the history of the set and that the components are as-issued.

Any particular reason why the U&WA might have more staple rust than the other two volumes?

Whether the books do lay flat, or if there's any page curl at the right-hand corners (esp. the U&WA)?

Hrmm... enough there, I think; and two questions more than I'd planned.
rsvp.

p.s. Thanks for that "additional condition information" at the foot of your auction. Wish I had any flaws as minor as those on my 1st prints ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:55 pm 

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:12 pm 

stormber wrote:...

*hovers pointer over the "delete snipe" button*

Oh well, at least that was an answer of sorts (after five days).

Cheers,
David.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:21 am 

Howdy David,

You know David, I have answered over 200 messages in the last 5 days, your's was the only 6 part, measured to the .25 mm, "oh and by the way, compare to your *other* four 1st prints" questions.  8O To be honest I didn't think you were bidding, only that you were doing more research.

I only check on the Acaeum for questions that I think are critical to the success of my auctions (when I am busy running them). Your questions seemed pedantic in relationship to the auction and, while I intended to answer them, they seemed to not be top priority during a very busy time.

Sorry for my misunderstanding your intents.

So whether you choose to bid or not (This thread has a lot of bidding-blackmail in it doesn't it?) I will give you the answers I would have given as a point of research anyway.

1. "Could you please let me know the height of each of the OD&D 1st print books at the spine, to the nearest 1/4 mm if possible.
Would normally like to know the height of the centre page at the staples, but I'm certain I wouldn't want to open these books enough to slip a ruler inside.
If the guillotining is good, the cover should hopefully be very close to the same size. (Please let me know if it's not, or if there are any other problems taking measurements...)."

Center page measurements, at the spine:

Set in my collection:
V1: 21.7 mm
V2: 21.5 mm
V3: 21.7 mm
RS: 21.6 mm

Set on eBay:
V1: 21.7 mm
V2: 21.5 mm
V3: 21.7 mm
RS: 21.6 mm (estimated due to rounding/wear)

2. "A close-up of the text offset on the U&WA..."

Matches your 1st Print sample in the referenced thread, exactly. Same as my other 1st print.

3. How the shades of red/green/blue on the cover text compare(d) with the other three 1st prints you had (two left now?).

Compared side by side no difference. Two months ago I laid them out in columns and other than the variant V3's offset no significant differences.

4. What information you might have on the history of the set and that the components are as-issued.

This is my "good" set bought from the original owner. I have another in worse shape but for sentimental reasons cannot part with. Thus, I am auctioning off my better copy.

5. Any particular reason why the U&WA might have more staple rust than the other two volumes?

I have noticed in all 5 sets I have owned, that the item that sits on the bottom of the box is subject to more moisture. In two of the sets only V3 had staple rust and in another set the last page of the reference sheet on the bottom of the box was browned but the other page of that sheet and the rest of the sheets were white. If the books are out of the box, I assume the nature of human kind would stack the books V1 top, V2 middle, V3 bottom on the gaming table, countertop, etc. Thus subjecting it to more moisture, wear, creasing, spotting, etc.

Also, the V3 fits tightly into the bottom of the box and is difficult to extract. I assume this tightness lead to more significant wear.

6. Whether the books do lay flat, or if there's any page curl at the right-hand corners (esp. the U&WA)?

Yes, all three do have a gentle curve to the upper an lower corners from being laid in the box (and not quite fitting). Laying them on a flat surface the very corners are 1 mm up from the surface. Again, a very mild curvature, hadn't noticed until I set them flat and viewed them from the edge.

The internal box dimensions on these sets vary, however, as the woodgrain covering is pasted over a cardboard carcass that is split at the corners. That's why the corners are so easily split on these boxes. It is just a thin layer of veneer that holds the corners together. I'v had two sets where the books drop in flush, and 3 sets where they stick a bit or even have to sit at an angle. Both V3 variant sets, the V3 was in perfect shape and fit perfectly into the bottom of the box with room to spare.

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:31 am 

now THAT is what i call a detailed reply :D

very impressed!!
:)

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:07 am 

stormber wrote:Howdy David,

You know David, I have answered over 200 messages in the last 5 days, your's was the only 6 part, measured to the .25 mm, "oh and by the way, compare to your *other* four 1st prints" questions. 8O To be honest I didn't think you were bidding, only that you were doing more research.

I only check on the Acaeum for questions that I think are critical to the success of my auctions (when I am busy running them). Your questions seemed pedantic in relationship to the auction and, while I intended to answer them, they seemed to not be top priority during a very busy time.

Sorry for my misunderstanding your intents.

So whether you choose to bid or not (This thread has a lot of bidding-blackmail in it doesn't it?) I will give you the answers I would have given as a point of research anyway.

Thanks for those answers, Paul.

Yeah, those are all the reasons why I only asked the first question in my message privately via eBay last Thursday.
The other questions were points that would clarify/tidy up any issues as a result and since the auction was running out of time I had no choice but to bundle those in together, here.
(Asking for measurements to the nearest 1/4 mm was pushing my luck, though! ;))

Certainly not pedantic and with direct input to the snipe I had placed, depending on the responses.

Wouldn't have expected many other people to think up some of those questions, anyhow (and whether they were/are actually significant or not is still not certain). Had covered some of the points with Mike/<IO>, before (wherever he is now... :()

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:16 am 

harami2000 wrote: with Mike/<IO>, before (wherever he is now... :()

hes away building additional rooms for the museum :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:23 am 

harami2000 wrote:Wouldn't have expected many other people to think up some of those questions, anyhow (and whether they were/are actually significant or not is still not certain). Had covered some of the points with Mike/<IO>, before (wherever he is now... :()

David, I'm glad you asked them; and Paul, thanks for the detailed responses and for posting them for us all to see.  

I had wondered about the curling.  I've never seen a woodgrain D&D set, but do have a 1st M&M and am aware of course of its dimensions.  Having had a woodgrain Tractics, I also noticed that box was shorter than the white D&D boxes.  So, I've been wondering for a while whether the Tractics and D&D woodgrain boxes have the same dimensions, and if so, whether the D&D booklets would be a tight fit in the woodgrain box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:28 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

*g*. Will be expecting something to rival the J. Paul Getty, then! :P

(Noticed he hadn't purchased anything of eBay recently, either. Am sure some of that stuff must've been worth a bid :?)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:54 am 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

*g*. Will be expecting something to rival the J. Paul Getty, then! :P

(Noticed he hadn't purchased anything of eBay recently, either. Am sure some of that stuff must've been worth a bid :?)

well building a museum must be very time consuming and of course, you shouldnt complain as you get a free rein on your snipes :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well building a museum must be very time consuming and of course, you shouldnt complain as you get a free rein on your snipes :)

Yeah, barring Bill, Jeff, Stephen, Mike, Brendon, John, Ian, Christophe, William, etc., etc...*

*n.b. list is not all-inclusive; please do not take offence if you're not mentioned.

(... oh; and yourself, too! :D)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:56 am 

harami2000 wrote:etc., etc.*

ETC better not be bidding!  :lol:

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:58 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:etc., etc.*

ETC better not be bidding! :lol:

*lol*. I think (hope!) we were referring to bids in general; not just this particular auction :)

(*waits for jonb & creep to join in, for "fun"*)

=
your avvy's still blocked, btw :(
[ed.: *spots PM*]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:04 am 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well building a museum must be very time consuming and of course, you shouldnt complain as you get a free rein on your snipes :)

Yeah, barring Bill, Jeff, Stephen, Mike, Brendon, John, Ian, Christophe, William, etc., etc...*

*n.b. list is not all-inclusive; please do not take offence if you're not mentioned.

No love again. :P
Seriously, I have turned to the dark side(in case you hadn't noticed on the DG/PotVQ/Strategic Preview auctions :wink: ). :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:17 am 

bclarkie wrote:No love again. :P

:lol: :lol:

bclarkie wrote:Seriously, I have turned to the dark side(in case you hadn't noticed on the DG/PotVQ/Strategic Preview auctions :wink: ). :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

OK, keep it that way and I'll add you to the list, Brian! :D
thx ^^

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:08 pm 

harami2000 wrote: Yeah, barring Bill, Jeff, Stephen, Mike, Brendon, John, Ian, Christophe, William, etc., etc...*

...and...let's see...Kynan, I believe?

PreviousNext