1st Woodgrain Auction
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:47 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Banning him will give me the confidence he is just not out to screw with the Acaeum memebers on the hottest item in dungeons and dragons collectable market.

I thought that was ST1? :D

*g*. Sorry! *nods in general agreement with Blackmoor, despite the crazy inflation*. Is certainly up there on that list, even though you could save yourself $1,500-2,000+ by buying a woodgrain Tractics and soaking off the label... or finding a later box and swapping the books... etc.

[ed. Oops; new page :( Please read back... <<--<< ]

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Banning him will give me the confidence he is just not out to screw with the Acaeum memebers on the hottest item in dungeons and dragons collectable market.

I thought that was ST1? :D

*g*. Sorry! *nods in general agreement with Blackmoor, despite the crazy inflation*. Is certainly up there on that list, even though you could save yourself $1,500-2,000+ by buying a woodgrain Tractics and soaking off the label... or finding a later box and swapping the books... etc.

[ed. Oops; new page :( Please read back... <<--<< ]

ST1 is hot but it is just very rare that what makes it collectable,
the 1st wood grain boxset is the most important roleplaying collectable there is.

ST1 is just for those flowery fairy types anyway :D

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:08 pm 

Does anyone honestly think that a winning bid will be honored? He doesn't even play! It's an obvious attempt to throw a wrench in the works.
Paul, do yourself a favor and do some banning. It's not like the thing will go for less. I personally don't have an interest in it, but I am 100% sure you will lose quite a few Acaeum bidders by letting the bid stay.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:42 pm 

Howdy,

Maxwell/brucem did not participate in either of my other woodgrain auctions.

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:49 pm 

stormber wrote:Howdy,
Maxwell/brucem did not participate in either of my other woodgrain auctions.

Many thanks for the confirmation, Paul.
Definitely useful to know, either way; to try to make up our minds as to his reasons for bidding and act accordingly.

I'm sure he has the money, anyhow.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 pm 

One brief word here for anyone thinking of not bidding because of Max . . .

Just a few pages ago on this thread, DL36 was telling me how most everyone knows what they will pay.  Come on now, is anyone here naive enough to get in a bidding war with Max?  I fail to see how his presence can change your opinion.  That is, if you are planning on bidding $2,800, how will Max's bid alter this intent?  

Seems to me that even if his only intent is to mess around with Acaeum members, he is already winning once people start dropping out.

Also, he may actually pay . . . he certainly amassed a large collection to begin with and despite his final comments, he may never have actually sold the bulk of it.

Just some thoughts . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:09 pm 

Because it is no different than having a shill bidder.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:31 pm 

Howdy Frank,

Deadlord36 wrote:Because it is no different than having a shill bidder.

Thanks!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:41 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Because it is no different than having a shill bidder.
Fair warning -- if I win the lottery before Wednesday, I'm putting a bid of $25K on it.  :P  (On the off chance it happens, I think we shouldn't put it in the valuations, though).

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:01 am 

Howdy Frank,

Deadlord36 wrote:Does anyone honestly think that a winning bid will be honored? He doesn't even play! It's an obvious attempt to throw a wrench in the works.

I do. Lot's of us don't play and hell Frank you are not even going to bid on this! I think you are wrong.

Deadlord36 wrote:Paul, do yourself a favor and do some banning. It's not like the thing will go for less. I personally don't have an interest in it, but I am 100% sure you will lose quite a few Acaeum bidders by letting the bid stay.

Well I will lose bids now for sure, unless I block his bidding. This whole discussion is pretty much forcing my hand isn't it?

Futures bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:39 am 

Howdy All,

It is done. Brucem253 contacted me, saying he thought it was unfair to me and that, while he wanted to bid and intended to pay, he wouldn't mind if I felt I had to cancel his bid.

I sent him an email back, thanked him for his graciousness and cancelled his bid.

Now let's go forward! The set is in fantastic condition, the reserve is obviously $2,600, and the interest in this set is clearly higher than ever! Good luck bidding, one and all!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:12 am 

Good move, Paul.  I'm sure it will work out for the better.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:09 pm 

OK... I'll just re-post the original question here (plus the follow-ups), even though I'd rather not do so.
Would still prefer a PM response, Paul. Thank you, again.

<clip question sent via eBay, last Thursday>

Howdy Paul,

Could you please let me know the height of each of the OD&D 1st print books at the spine, to the nearest 1/4 mm if possible.
Would normally like to know the height of the centre page at the staples, but I'm certain I wouldn't want to open these books enough to slip a ruler inside.
If the guillotining is good, the cover should hopefully be very close to the same size. (Please let me know if it's not, or if there are any other problems taking measurements...).

Ditto, for the height of the centre fold of the reference sheets.

Many thanks,
David.
</clip>

A close-up of the text offset on the U&WA, per
viewtopic.php?p=21767&lighter=#21767

How the shades of red/green/blue on the cover text compare(d) with the other three 1st prints you had (two left now?).

What information you might have on the history of the set and that the components are as-issued.

Any particular reason why the U&WA might have more staple rust than the other two volumes?

Whether the books do lay flat, or if there's any page curl at the right-hand corners (esp. the U&WA)?

Hrmm... enough there, I think; and two questions more than I'd planned.
rsvp.

p.s. Thanks for that "additional condition information" at the foot of your auction. Wish I had any flaws as minor as those on my 1st prints ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 pm 

whoa. That was weird. I cross posted by accident from another board. haha

In case anyone caught that. I love the delete button here.  :lol:

Carry on!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:46 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:whoa. That was weird. I cross posted by accident from another board. haha

In case anyone caught that. I love the delete button here. :lol:

Carry on!

I did. :wink:   Nice pic and CT comment. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:00 pm 

:wink:  I would love to regale you with more picts and stories but somethings must be kept private for awhile!

:lol: Now, how high is the bidding on this woodgrain thingy?  :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:31 pm 

Heya Paul,

Noticed you'd signed-in a couple of times today.

I'll settle for an explicit "sorry, not answering these", rather than just silence.
Thank you...

d.

harami2000 wrote:OK... I'll just re-post the original question here (plus the follow-ups), even though I'd rather not do so.
Would still prefer a PM response, Paul. Thank you, again.

<clip question sent via eBay, last Thursday>

Howdy Paul,

Could you please let me know the height of each of the OD&D 1st print books at the spine, to the nearest 1/4 mm if possible.
Would normally like to know the height of the centre page at the staples, but I'm certain I wouldn't want to open these books enough to slip a ruler inside.
If the guillotining is good, the cover should hopefully be very close to the same size. (Please let me know if it's not, or if there are any other problems taking measurements...).

Ditto, for the height of the centre fold of the reference sheets.

Many thanks,
David.
</clip>

A close-up of the text offset on the U&WA, per
viewtopic.php?p=21767&lighter=#21767

How the shades of red/green/blue on the cover text compare(d) with the other three 1st prints you had (two left now?).

What information you might have on the history of the set and that the components are as-issued.

Any particular reason why the U&WA might have more staple rust than the other two volumes?

Whether the books do lay flat, or if there's any page curl at the right-hand corners (esp. the U&WA)?

Hrmm... enough there, I think; and two questions more than I'd planned.
rsvp.

p.s. Thanks for that "additional condition information" at the foot of your auction. Wish I had any flaws as minor as those on my 1st prints ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:55 pm 

PreviousNext