1st Woodgrain Auction
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:09 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:But Paul, the pool of people bidding was much smaller, and limited to only Acaeum members. If it were to be used in the valuations, I could readily submit quite a few verifiable sales.
That is the problem with valuations based solely on sale prices. What should count, and what shouldn't? If everyone is broke right now, the 1st woodie will probably go unsold. If we all had tons of cash, it would probably top $3K.
This is why I proposed that everyone submit personal values. It becomes a true benchmark based on the real collectors in the industry, not the Creeps.

I agree totally with that.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:43 pm 

I am betting this one ends at $2,899.

[bob barker]Adam Shultz! Come on down!![/bob barker]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:53 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:But Paul, the pool of people bidding was much smaller, and limited to only Acaeum members. If it were to be used in the valuations, I could readily submit quite a few verifiable sales.
That is the problem with valuations based solely on sale prices. What should count, and what shouldn't? If everyone is broke right now, the 1st woodie will probably go unsold. If we all had tons of cash, it would probably top $3K.
This is why I proposed that everyone submit personal values. It becomes a true benchmark based on the real collectors in the industry, not the Creeps.

I agree totally with that.

J

I have to say, that I think that any serious bidder for a Woodgrain auction is already a member of the Acaeum (or at leasts browses the forums and could register if necessary). Even if someone was left out, then that could only potentially increase the value of the sale (additional bidders wouldn't have made it go for less).

The real key here is that sale prices are the only honest way to gauge an items value. The clearest example is with "additional" bids. I see it all the time and not just with "newbies". Even when a rare item is put up for auction and acaeum members start talking about it, you see members "bumping" up their bids several times (sometimes at the last few minutes going higher than they would have thought.). (I'm not talking about those "preliminary - Test the Water" bids. )

I am going to use "bclarkie" for a fictional example :wink: Say bclarkie bids $800 for a mono Inverness. He is outbid with a day to go and decides to up his bid to $900. Then he starts to get "antsy" as the clock ticks down and sets up a snipe for $1,005. Sure enough, he is outbid and his snipe wins the auction.

However, if you had asked bclarkie what he would have paid, he might have answered $800 . . . maybe $850. But, when it came down to it, he paid $1,000.

But what if he had won it for $800 instead? Doesn't matter . . .   Even if he  might have paid more, the current market didn't dictate a higher price.  These things tend to even out and a good base value is established. It doesn't really matter if the next Tsoj sells for $1,600 or $400. There is enough data that it will only marginally affect the value for this item. But if the next 5 Tsojs sells for around $450, then the value will start to decrease. This accounts for those "lucrative" months and months when everyone seem to be short on cash.

Finally, if anyone has "verifiable" sales that were at least "advertised" on the classifieds, in an online store, in a "brick & mortar store", at a Con or anything similar - please feel free to email them to me. (Doesn't have to be in an "auction" format). Tell me the price and the grade and give confirmation from the buyer & seller. This has been mentioned several times before by both me and darkseraphim.

Not one person has volunteered any data thus far . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:06 am 

So what it boils down to is that eBay, not actual item sales, is the determiner of item values.
There are only a few people that I know of that get "antsy" and creep up their bid. I think just about everyone here knows exactly what the maximum they will pay for an item is.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:32 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote: Finally, if anyone has "verifiable" sales that were at least "advertised" on the classifieds, in an online store, in a "brick & mortar store", at a Con or anything similar - please feel free to email them to me. (Doesn't have to be in an "auction" format). Tell me the price and the grade and give confirmation from the buyer & seller. This has been mentioned several times before by both me and darkseraphim.

Not one person has volunteered any data thus far . . .

Paul,
I'd be happy to PM you that information for the Tamoachan (signed), Inverness, and OB3 that I bought through private sales if the info would be used by the board in determining values.  But how do I know it would have any bearing on the deliberations?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:36 pm 

Looky looky who the High bidder is now

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Max is back, and ready to shell out for a first print woody.

It begins again 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:50 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Looky looky who the High bidder is now

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Max is back, and ready to shell out for a first print woody.

It begins again 8O

I wonder if Stormber is going to honor that bid or not? It wil be interesting to see...

Then again I wonder if Max is even planning on honoring that bid himself? If not I am sure that we will be seeing the high bidder be tommy9896 or some other such near the end. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:16 pm 

Only a fool would not block him from their auctions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:18 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Then again I wonder if Max is even planning on honoring that bid himself? If not I am sure that we will be seeing the high bidder be tommy9898 or some other such near the end. :roll:

this shall now be quite interesting to see what develops from this. is he just doing it to bump up the price?

i quite liked dbartman's last feedback - the goodbye comment on the end of it really made me smile :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:53 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
this shall now be quite interesting to see what develops from this. is he just doing it to bump up the price?

Agreed.  I thought he was divesting himself of all his stuff?  I personally didn't have any problems with Max on a couple deals but it looks like I got lucky....wow, I had no idea how his feedback/service has tanked since then...  8O

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:29 am 

I didn't have a problem with him either until he hosed me on the last lot of D&D books I purchased from him. He strung me out for about two months with everything but the dog ate them. I finally did a chargeback through my credit card since paypal wouldn't do anything. I don't know how he could still have an account on ebay after all the negs. He screwed a lot of people.  My guess is he's bidding to send a message that he's still around, with no intention of paying if he were to win.  He knows chances are that someone will outbid him.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 am 

dbartman wrote:I didn't have a problem with him either until he hosed me on the last lot of D&D books I purchased from him. He strung me out for about two months with everything but the dog ate them. I finally did a chargeback through my credit card since paypal wouldn't do anything. I don't know how he could still have an account on ebay after all the negs. He screwed a lot of people.

wel its been said aplenty on other threads....do ebay really care? i think not. the $$$ will always make them what they are imo.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:30 am 

I purchased a few modules from Max back in early December of 2004 and everything went as smooth as can be expected. Up until I realized he was shilling his own auctions with that fake User ID tommy9896, I was okay with him as well. Around that same time though that it came out that he was shilling his auctions is when he really flew off the deep end with all his crazy statements, accusations, and then the threats he made.  FWIW, I am pretty sure that he is only bidding for the attention and I also suspect that Stormber is not going to cancel his bid. :? Oh well, not really my deal anyway. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:37 am 

I bought some stuff off max and he actually refunded my sale when things didn't work out. I would like to bid on this box set, but not while max is in there with fake bids :x

J

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:47 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I bought some stuff off max and he actually refunded my sale when things didn't work out. I would like to bid on this box set, but not while max is in there with fake bids :x

J

Sorry J. :(   I suspect that most if not all the other potential bidders from the forum have the same exact reservations as yourself.  I guess it will come down to whether or not Paul sees that as Max's bid as a potential detriment to his his final auction total or not. :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:28 pm 

From Maxine:

Yeah I wish I hadnt ran my mouth about your wife and kids. That was purely shitty of me. I apologize. A little late I know. I dont really like you and I assume you me either. I will pay for the woody if I win and if I dont then more profit to trove.

I was wrong for what I said to you.

Max

Well, it IS an apology, but I have to admit I was pretty close to taking a quick trip out there and pushing a 7.62 MM thru him. It's impossible to apologize for something so outright stupid. You just don't do it in the first place. I never heard back from the FBI, but they had all the info so I suppose they didn't need to speak with me anymore. Don't know if it got shelved or not.
So, he is still reading the boards. It's entirely up to you guys if you want to bid on the woody, but personally whenever someone like that gets involved on either side of the sale, I am well out of it. I wasn't interested in the woody anyways, but even so.......

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:15 pm 

Howdy All,

Well this is just terrific. I was really counting on this auction to bail me out of a serious financial situation by Nov. 16th. Now this. I can't afford to monkey around with this auction.

So, are people really not going to bid on this because of another bidder? You're going to let him win because you don't trust him. Ludicrous!

The guy's feedback for selling is terrible but as far as buying, he seems on the up and up. To be honest I did not follow the sophmoric B.S. on the thread about him. Heck I didn't even know maxwell = brucem until you folks brought it up.

If I start cancelling bids or even pull the auction I am shooting myself in the foot.

From the email sent to Frank, it seems the guy is sincere about buying the set and his feedback indicates he will pay. So whatever your personal feelings are toward this guy, please don't cast a shadow of paranoia over this auction.

Let's go forward with a good, clean, competitive auction. Thanks!

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:08 pm 

stormber wrote:So, are people really not going to bid on this because of another bidder? You're going to let him win because you don't trust him. Ludicrous!

Heya Paul,

I suspect the concern is more that Max is actually just out to screw around with people on the board, than anything else.

More likely he doesn't actually want to win, but will happily sit back and have a bit of a chuckle watching people having to throw more money at the auction than would have been required without his involvement.
viz.
max wrote:I will pay for the woody if I win and if I dont then more profit to trove.

OK, let's put it this way: I understood that the bidders and final amount realised for the $2,282 woodgrain resale auction were meant to be "hidden".
Given that you've now disclosed the final amount, could you please (for general reassurance purposes) consider disclosing whether Max was, or was not, actively involved in the bidding for that set?
(Or would that have been "no fun" for him to have messed around with, when the results of his activities would have been "hidden from view"?)

Yeah; sorry you picked up that bid, Paul :(
Certainly no-win either way, since it also gave away the reserve, regardless of whatever else you chose to do.

Cheers,
David.

p.s. I would still appreciate a reply to the question I asked via eBay a few days ago re. the books.
I do have a further question or two, but since there's a bit of time-lag, it might be easier to post that (or both, even) here instead??
Was kinda hoping for a private response, though :?

PreviousNext