1st Woodgrain Auction
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:30 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Anybody else got one of these?

J

Quite a few other early/late 1st print copies owned by members on the board. Not sure how many are with box and in "good" condition though, fwiw.
Never know. You might get a PM but I'd set a mental price limit now, if I were you!

(*watches Brian tape a new hand-made flap onto his copy*)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:32 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:The sky seems to be the limit for this stuff. What is the next step? Enter the newly minted millinonaires during the next dramatic economic growth?

Hmm... is <creep> reading this? :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:42 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

J

Quite a few other early/late 1st print copies owned by members on the board. Not sure how many are with box and in "good" condition though, fwiw.
Never know. You might get a PM but I'd set a mental price limit now, if I were you!

Now that would be rather unethical. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
{j/k}

*<waits patiently for a response to my PM :) >*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:46 pm 

They are coming. Thirty-something into 40's should usher in the beginning of those fortunate and deserving in business of wealth which is difficult to spend.

Couple that where-with-all with the madness of 'having to have it' after they stumble upon ebay and sites like this and well....you know what will happen when 2 of them butt heads over an object only one of them can own.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:09 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Couple that where-with-all with the madness of 'having to have it' after they stumble upon ebay and sites like this and well....you know what will happen when 2 of them butt heads over an object only one of them can own. :wink:

*g*. Is that excluding present company?

Don't know where exactly the focus is for that "one off" "must have" purchase. For many people that still seems to be white boxes...  :)

Would have expected that to get somewhat worse over truly unique objects, then; or even relatively rare ones (Guidon Chains, say, although they really shouldn't be).
Personally, I'd be more inclined to label some of the RJK auctions as closer to the "holy grail". Oh, but we've already had that map and Greyhawk City notes (total ~$600). Hrmm; the fun of being the underbidder :? :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:14 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

J

Thanks for the keeping hope alive.  Wait a minute I am 30 something going on 40, does that mean.............. 8O  8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:Couple that where-with-all with the madness of 'having to have it' after they stumble upon ebay and sites like this and well....you know what will happen when 2 of them butt heads over an object only one of them can own. :wink:

I wouldn't know for sure about what personal holdings others might have. Bidding patterns surely let you know who is wearing the pants amongst present company. Or maybe they just have a couple of credit cards in them pants.

Unique items don't personally interest me as the value of such items cannot be reinforced with the sale of other like items. Kuntz map of yesterday, driven by the hype of a group of Kuntz auctions, could be worth beans sold on its own tomorrow for all we know.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:34 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

I wouldn't know for sure about what personal holdings others might have. Bidding patterns surely let you know who is wearing the pants amongst present company. Or maybe they just have a couple of credit cards in them pants.

Unique items don't personally interest me as the value of such items cannot be reinforced with the sale of other like items. Kuntz map of yesterday, driven by the hype of a group of Kuntz auctions, could be worth beans sold on its own tomorrow for all we know.

I dont think that would make Mike<Improvstone>  very happy to hear that. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:37 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:I wouldn't know for sure about what personal holdings others might have.

Would certainly be interested in a database for registered members to note their various holdings- possibly even "wants"- (anonymously, if desired) to get a feel for the rarity of items and spread of interests.
Not offering to code that, mind you :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I dont think that would make Mike<Improvstone> very happy to hear that. :wink:

In that event, I think Mike's items could probably be "reinforced" by the other items he himself purchased :)
And he knows the auctions I was underbidder on... ^^

Am sure there's a degree of truth in what Adam's saying there, especially for "less interesting" unique items. (But then again, I barely paid $10 for some of those and they're still quite interesting- to me, anyhow).

p.s. only eight (new) PMs to go...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:53 pm 

Adam has a good point, and that is why I always steered clear of "personal" items. Even if D&D collecting falters, the published items would still have SOME intrinsic worth, but items like the RJK stuff would be very difficult to sell. Even in the market as it stands now, there would only be a very few people that were interested in and could afford them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:10 pm 

A database isn't a bad idea.  In fact the Acaeum does that in a small way already by recording what has been found with the numbered tourney modules and prepubs.  But I imagine that a lot of collectors would feel uncomfortable stating the contents of their collections, not only from valuation standpoint, but from safety (or just because they are private people).  I hate to say this, but it's only a matter of time before one of us gets hit.  That's why I keep my rares at the bank.  It's makes it a PITA for research, but I live with it.  Any database, it seems to me, would have to be truly anonymous.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:32 pm 

As far as privacy goes, everyone is entitled to it with out question and I would never even attempt to deny anyone that.  The way the market stands today though, I would be very very surprised to hear that someones stuff was stolen out of their house and this is based on 2 major factors. First off the community itself at this point is relatively miniscule, especially in comparison to many other collecting venues. Secondly, the cost of such an operation would in almost all circumstances far outweigh any potential benefit of stealing the material in the first place. People, if given the opportunity will steal just about anything, but the effort it would take in order to plan and perform such an opperation would be far more trouble than its worth at this point versus the potential value of what could be obtained. Maybe in the future if values increase condsiderably then maybe, but from a criminal standpoint, if your looking for some quick cash you dont break into someones house looking for RPG material, they break into your house and are looking for cash/jewelry or the hold up a bank or a store. Just my $.02. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:41 pm 

it can easily be done anonymously and confidentially. it just needs someone you can entrust with that info.

i work for a law firm and i deal with confidentiality all the time. everyone here knows that i dont banter info about and thats how you have to be.

there are plenty of folks here i would trust with the info of what i have (little but beside the point).

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:51 pm 

There are so many collectors who have melted into the woodwork over the years that I noticed since I started this shit up myself in 1998. They come along. Pop their wads on 2 or 3 massively rare items and then disappear. Frequently, I never see their stuff come up for auction again.

That sort of database would be too difficult to compile and not possibly complete enough for any real value to match the effort.

It is a good idea to keep something of a safety mechanism on your collection such as lock box or location other than your home. I have one box alone with some 50 items with a value easily exceeding 10k (thank god it didn't cost me that much when i bought them)....and it aint staying with me in my home.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:12 pm 

Exactly.  I've got multiples of several of the rares and I wouldn't want them go up in smoke or get flooded or accidently colored in by the kids.  It seems to me that once you have a certain dollar value (and it's different for everybody) you just can't afford to sit and hope nothing happens.  And then there's the responsibility of being a good custodian.  The things I've gotten from other collectors have been cared for well, but there are no guarantees that collections are safe.  Like everything else, it's a leap of faith.  Even a bank is not a 100% safeguard, but it's better than my garage.

Previous