1st Woodgrain Auction
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Ok, this one is worthy of it's own thread.  Not only is it a 1st print (not a 1st variant, either), it's in pretty damn good shape, too.  In my opinion, Stormber erred on the side of caution with those stated conditions.  :wink:

Starting bid at $2000, reserve still unknown, BIN of $5000 (Pretty sure that would be a record!).

Any predictions?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:02 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem
Ok, this one is worthy of it's own thread. Not only is it a 1st print (not a 1st variant, either), it's in pretty damn good shape, too. In my opinion, Stormber erred on the side of caution with those stated conditions. :wink:

Starting bid at $2000, reserve still unknown, BIN of $5000 (Pretty sure that would be a record!).

Any predictions?

My prediction is that I will be completely irritated by the end of the auction becuase of the fact that my credit card bill is so ridiculously high currently that I am going to have sit out this auction. :x

Oh, wait, you mean what the final price will be. :oops:   I will say $2222.95.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:05 pm 

$2,725  Just throwing a dart at the wall.

It is an extremely nice set. Wow.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:18 pm 

Somebody pulls the trigger on that $5k BIN and I will start a massive sell off.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:00 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Somebody pulls the trigger on that $5k BIN and I will start a massive sell off.

i can understand someone wanting something like this as a real serious collectable, but seriously, who in their right mind would pay $5000.00??!!

you gotta be kidding.... right?  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:50 pm 

They are fishing with that bin.

Should have been $3,500. It is large number but doesn't "look" large. I think it might have gone at that figure. $5k is no going to happen. Anyone who has interest in that item will most likely have some knowledge and bid accordingly. That said, I am fairly positive it will not go over $3k.

I, like Brian, am complete out. I'd love to have it, but I am not gonna burn the dollars to get it. I am also on a credit card (in general) boycot.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:57 pm 

If there's a collector's equivalent of "blue balls", I guess you could say I've got them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:21 pm 

i would have been quite happy with johnhuck's one which was mullered tbh...would have done me fine - and at a nice price too :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:Somebody pulls the trigger on that $5k BIN and I will start a massive sell off.

i can understand someone wanting something like this as a real serious collectable, but seriously, who in their right mind would pay $5000.00??!!

you gotta be kidding.... right? :?

Maybe our good buddy Creep1962 will pop the $5000 cherry and then turn around and put it back on Ebay with a $15000 BIN.  He seems to do that with most of his other crap.  :P

I will assume the reserve is $2200.  I think it will go for about $2650.  And as usual I will be way off.  :roll:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:23 pm 

Let me start by saying that this is waaaaaay out of my league financially speaking. :lol:

BUT...
It has always struck me that we are lucky to be  interested in a collectable hobby that it is so CHEAP :D . Before you chuck rocks at me, hear me out.

In what other collectable market would less than $3000 (say) get you what is in effect, the holy grail? Stamps, Art, Pottery, Comics, Trading Cards, anything to do with Star Wars, Barbie - these are just a few off the top of my head but we can all think of more.
Coinsider if you had $15000 to spend now on starting a D&D collection - you could have, instantly, quite an enviable collection (I'd envy it  even if some of you guys wouldn't !)
But $15000 is not much money in the grand scheme of things - flip through any collectors magazine in your local newsagent and you'll see this kind of cash being thrown at all kinds of crap.
So yes - I will still gasp at silly prices being paid for OB3's and ST1's but I will always breath a sigh of relief that I didn't stay with the stamp collection! :!:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:37 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i would have been quite happy with johnhuck's one which was mullered tbh...would have done me fine - and at a nice price too :)

Al

Yeh!  Thanks to chromaticknight for the win.  But why didn't more of you bid.

As for the 1st print.  Its in great nick.  Its a very good time of the year to sell.  And the 1st woody has a great pedigree.  Its about time that we saw the $3k barrier beat. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:40 am 

johnhuck wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i would have been quite happy with johnhuck's one which was mullered tbh...would have done me fine - and at a nice price too :)

Al

Yeh! Thanks to chromaticknight for the win. But why didn't more of you bid.

As for the 1st print. Its in great nick. Its a very good time of the year to sell. And the 1st woody has a great pedigree. Its about time that we saw the $3k barrier beat. :wink:

I would be really surprised to see it go for more than $2500.00 because at this point I dont think the set is worth much more than that.  Just because the set has an openeing bid of $2k and a reserve does not mean that people should bid more because of those factors.  You should bid what you are willing to spend and what you think the set is worth, not what you think other people will bid and what other people think that the set is worth.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:47 am 

I'll second that.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:01 am 

Howdy All,

The 3K barrier has already been broken. The first woodgrain auction (alternate cover stock v. 3) I ran in the classified section ended at $3,200. It was in slightly lesser condition than the non-variant stock one currently on eBay.

There were 5 serious participants in the private auction, plus a couple of entrants that did not lodge any bids - all members here. The opening bid was $2,000. The bidders dropped out as follows: $2,250, $2,650, $2,800, $3,050, and the winner's final bid was $3,200. So it seems some Acaeum members value the set at a higher figure.

So, for this auction I based my Opening Bid and Reserve accordingly.

The $5,000 figure on eBay is there for anyone who thinks, "I will probably  never see as nice a set on eBay in the forseeable future. It's mine!" or perhaps for a collector who just won a lottery. :D You have to admit it would be a heck of a way to start a collection!

I have personally handled 5 1st print woodgrains and seen a like number in auctions. None of them were as nice as this set. Indeed, it is far nicer than my own set, which I can't sell due to sentimental reasons. So in a rare turn of events for me, I am selling the nicer of my two sets! :P

Besides, I have a 10,000 hit dice credit card bill due at my door in a fortnight!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am 

Private auctions don't count though.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:18 pm 

stormber wrote:The 3K barrier has already been broken. The first woodgrain auction (alternate cover stock v. 3) I ran in the classified section ended at $3,200. It was in slightly lesser condition than the non-variant stock one currently on eBay.

There were 5 serious participants in the private auction, plus a couple of entrants that did not lodge any bids - all members here. The opening bid was $2,000. The bidders dropped out as follows: $2,250, $2,650, $2,800, $3,050, and the winner's final bid was $3,200. So it seems some Acaeum members value the set at a higher figure.

Thanks.  Given that information, it sounds like there are enough disappointed bidders from your private sale to push this to $2.5k without a problem.  And I'd be surprised if it didn't make $3k :D .  Would make a very nice Christmas present for someone's role-playing other half.

And that's my opinion of what it's probably worth to the potential market.  Not what it's worth to me i.e. currently $2025 (and another 5 days to mull it over :wink: )

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:44 pm 

Howdy Frank,

Deadlord36 wrote:Private auctions don't count though.

Nothing against you Frank but here is my take:

I announced it on a public forum, nobody was excluded from participating, all 12 people who asked got the description and images by email, 8 people from this Forum did participate lodging at least one bid, 5 people actively bid, and the price can be confirmed.

By Private, do we now mean "not eBay" or "not GenCon"?

I think it is one thing if it is a private deal between only two parties but if it is an actual auction announced and run here with verifiable results?

Surely, the format I ran my auction with is more viable than an eBay result. EBay auctions end with a shotgun effect, everybody making a last second guess or failing to have a good connection and thus failing to lodge proper bids. In my auction I used GOING, GOINGx2, GONE! each with a 12 hour lag. No sniping. People pay what they want to after thinking about it for 36 hours.

The bids I got on the 1st woodgrain I auctioned were what people were willing to pay after long consideration.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:23 pm 

stormber wrote:The $5,000 figure on eBay is there for anyone who thinks, "I will probably never see as nice a set on eBay in the forseeable future. It's mine!" or perhaps for a collector who just won a lottery. :D You have to admit it would be a heck of a way to start a collection!
Paul

Put it in shrink and empoweredguy might go for it  :twisted:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Next