The former Tomb of Horrors / current 3e debate thread
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:50 pm 

WOTC has updated their site with their every-so-often look back at the real D&D. This time, it's a Halloween tribute to the Tomb of Horrors, complete with an art gallery and a 3.5 version of the classic module. It all appears to be freely download-able, for those interested.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20051031a

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:16 pm 

Thanks for the heads up!

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:05 pm 

And if you hate 3e, at least get the FREE ART. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:31 pm 

Thanks for the link Xaxaxe!

While I appreciate the nod toward AD&D, this conversion highlights one of the things I really dislike about 3rd edition:  the power inflation.  Whereas Tomb of Horrors in 1976 was an uber-nasty dungeon that would challenge and devestate entire parties of high-level PCs, repeatedly, now 4-6 9th level characters should reasonably expect to tackle it successfully.  

Le sigh....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:47 am 

grodog wrote:Thanks for the link Xaxaxe!

While I appreciate the nod toward AD&D, this conversion highlights one of the things I really dislike about 3rd edition: the power inflation. Whereas Tomb of Horrors in 1976 was an uber-nasty dungeon that would challenge and devestate entire parties of high-level PCs, repeatedly, now 4-6 9th level characters should reasonably expect to tackle it successfully.

Le sigh....

yeah you can seriously see the power shift now. S1 was always damn hard to complete anyway, even with a super-strong group and it always depleted a strong group very nicely - so the ones who survived really DID breathe a massive sigh of relief.

for me, always was one of the toughest mods out there.

shame to see it being toppled and made to look more average in 3E, a great shame indeed.

does highlight why i dont like 3E very clearly.

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:33 pm 

grodog wrote:Thanks for the link Xaxaxe!

While I appreciate the nod toward AD&D, this conversion highlights one of the things I really dislike about 3rd edition: the power inflation. Whereas Tomb of Horrors in 1976 was an uber-nasty dungeon that would challenge and devestate entire parties of high-level PCs, repeatedly, now 4-6 9th level characters should reasonably expect to tackle it successfully.

Le sigh....

A truly wicked GM can kill ANY characters with a paper clip, rubber band, and one goblin. ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:19 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:A truly wicked GM can kill ANY characters with a paper clip, rubber band, and one goblin. ;)

*listens* ^^

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:12 am 

Once I had a group that wanted to go through it, but changed their mind after three rooms.  Guess they didn't like all of the traps and the fact that both of their thieves were incapacitated...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:23 am 

yeah i have had a whole group of 7 good players get totally decimated by S1 within an hour. and that wasnt even trying hard - well not overly :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:13 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:A truly wicked GM can kill ANY characters with a paper clip, rubber band, and one goblin. ;)

Of course they can.  Have you seen goblins recently?  Just give 'im "Great Cleave".  :lol:  

If I was GMing this module, I'd add a feature from Baal's lair in Diablo II -- if you stop moving for more than about 3 seconds, a magical trap blasts you with poison/fire/lightning/cold.  That should even up the odds quite nicely.   :twisted:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I'd add a feature from Baal's lair in Diablo II -- if you stop moving for more than about 3 seconds, a magical trap blasts you with poison/fire/lightning/cold.

That actually sound rather appropriate

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 pm 

A pretty bizarre level to convert the module to, imo. A lot of the stuff in the original T1 is stuff I'd expect to find at ~15th level in 3E.

This isn't representative of 3rd Edition changing the game, it's representative of a dumbass conversion.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:57 pm 

GraysonAC wrote: in the original T1 .

T1 or S1?

S1 is for levels 10-14 anyway. saying that. even at them levels its pretty damn hard.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:00 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:A pretty bizarre level to convert the module to, imo. A lot of the stuff in the original T1 is stuff I'd expect to find at ~15th level in 3E.

This isn't representative of 3rd Edition changing the game, it's representative of a dumbass conversion.

I half agree with you.  I'd say this conversion is representative of the style of gaming that 3e has created...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:17 pm 

I was always of the opinion that S1 was pretty much level neutral. What I mean is that characters should be in the range, but in no way does that guarantee success...or survival for that matter. I don't think a 14th fighter vs a 10 level fighter has much more chance to survive (1 ed.). The player has to be smart and cool under pressure and relatively lucky. Crap in 1 ed you had to be good and lucky to survive to level 10 - and once there you had to be even more careful. 1st ed. AD&D is and was tough and the threat of death is constant. You cannot say that about 3E. And once that element is gone, S1 loses all its character and shall I say "charm."

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:28 pm 

S1, not T1. Sorry.

I was always of the opinion that S1 was pretty much level neutral. What I mean is that characters should be in the range, but in no way does that guarantee success...or survival for that matter. I don't think a 14th fighter vs a 10 level fighter has much more chance to survive

Definately agree. S1 didn't have so much to do with the character, but the player playing it. A dumb or careless player running a high level character is going to die, regardless of level.

1st ed. AD&D is and was tough and the threat of death is constant. You cannot say that about 3E

Um.. ok? Bbarsh, have you actually played a 3E campaign? My games have more player deaths than my 2nd Edition games ever had. 3E actually has enemy power scale a bit faster than player power - monsters get abilities at the mid-levels that players simply don't get (such as Improved Grab, Rend, Rake, the godawfully dangerous Pounce, for those that actually know the system) that are player-killers. Players, on the other hand, don't get anything the enemy doesn't ;)

I have a lot of respect for most folks on this board, but honestly, it really, really seems like a lot of the talk about 3E is coming straight out of posteriors, not from experience.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:00 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:I have a lot of respect for most folks on this board, but honestly, it really, really seems like a lot of the talk about 3E is coming straight out of posteriors, not from experience.

heheheheh :)

well i for one CAN say i have played one game of 3E so i can justify any argument i come up with as i have at least tried the format.

in the end its each to their own.

i done even like 2E either so at least you cant say i am biased against 3E :D

i like 1E because its quick and simple and its about ROLEPLAY not dice rolls and tables.

i found when i played the 3E game (which i actually got up and left in mid-game) i spent so much time trying to figure out all the skills and calculate stuff all the time, that i got no enjoyment out of the scenario or the role play at all.

maybe that was just me *shrugs*

i gave it a go anyway but there ya go :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:56 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i like 1E because its quick and simple and its about ROLEPLAY not dice rolls and tables.

That's the kind of stuff I understand - folks not liking 3E because it's a different style than the original game. It's very different. That's a dislike based on the game philosophy.

i found when i played the 3E game (which i actually got up and left in mid-game) i spent so much time trying to figure out all the skills and calculate stuff all the time, that i got no enjoyment out of the scenario or the role play at all.

maybe that was just me *shrugs*

*nods* Definately not just you. 3E is way, way more complicated as far as rules go. That's why I have to laugh when I see folks here saying things like "3E is meant for younger gamers" - no 12 year old is going to figure out 3E ;)  Our group is still looking stuff up all the time, and we've been playing once or twice a week for a few years now.

Next