How to keep track of all this stuff
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:47 pm 

I started collecting about three years ago, and knowing I have a bad memory, kept a list (just a Word document) of my stuff. It started out as half a page of Dragon mags and the more common rulebooks and modules. Now its 20 pages, but its surprising how well I can work from memory. Work, family etc I remember nothing, but D&D - give me a title and I could tell you if I have it, what shape its in, and probably reel off some of the content verbatim.

The thing I reference mostly is the want list at the end, trying to remember all the keywords for ebay searches.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 pm 

I have an Access database that you can use to track the majority of the items listed in the Acaeum, if anybody wants it...again.

All you have to do is fill in the info on your item(s).

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:08 pm 

The name of the file I received was DnD Checklist_2.7.pdf. I found it on a backup disk if anyone needs it.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:35 pm 

i organize everything alpabetically by company and then by stock number within the company . anything that doesn`t have a stock number goes at the end of that`s companies listing alpabetically by title. doing it this way is the only way i could keep track of everything (as it runs to over 130 pages).  one of my (few) complaints with heroic worlds (the excellent book written by lawrence schick) is that he didn`t list the stock numbers, but decided to organize things with his own self-generated codes. anyway, thank goodness for excel.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:00 pm 

I used some version of Word and set up a chart. My stuff is listed by name and is set up in categories. Modules, rule books, boxed sets, etc. It has never been a very good system, but it helped. Mostly, I would use my pathetic memory and wind up with dups or persistent gaps.

I have recently loaded excel and am in the process of updating my collection data to that program. I am also using it to track auction sales versus the old legal pad method.

What I like about excel is that I can easily check it against something that pops up on ebay at the last minute. I also list my "need/want" list in bold type so that I can see what I need to snag and what the going price should be.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:36 pm 

I'm working on an Excel file too, with separate pages for OD&D (1974), D&D (1977), AD&D (1977), D&D (1981), D&D (1983), AD&D (1989), D&D (1991), AD&D (1995), AD&D (2000), and AD&D (2003).  I'm grabbing data from a copy of the TSR Average Auction Price Guide, the Acaeum, the TSR Archive, and the Complete Dungeons & Dragons Product List.

And while we're on the subject, is there any way that we could get these various collection files/tools hosted on the Acaeum?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:49 pm 

Feanor23x wrote:And while we're on the subject, is there any way that we could get these various collection files/tools hosted on the Acaeum?

you might wanna go PM foulfoot with that one chummer

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:53 pm 

Feanor23x wrote:I'm working on an Excel file too, with separate pages for OD&D (1974), D&D (1977), AD&D (1977), D&D (1981), D&D (1983), AD&D (1989), D&D (1991), AD&D (1995), AD&D (2000), and AD&D (2003). I'm grabbing data from a copy of the TSR Average Auction Price Guide, the Acaeum, the TSR Archive, and the Complete Dungeons & Dragons Product List.

And while we're on the subject, is there any way that we could get these various collection files/tools hosted on the Acaeum?

Foul actually already has those links on the links page from the site as well as several others  :wink: :

http://www.acaeum.com/Links/Resources.html

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Feanor23x wrote:I'm working on an Excel file too, with separate pages for OD&D (1974), D&D (1977), AD&D (1977), D&D (1981), D&D (1983), AD&D (1989), D&D (1991), AD&D (1995), AD&D (2000), and AD&D (2003). I'm grabbing data from a copy of the TSR Average Auction Price Guide, the Acaeum, the TSR Archive, and the Complete Dungeons & Dragons Product List.

Foul actually already has those links on the links page from the site as well as several others :wink: :

http://www.acaeum.com/Links/Resources.html

I know that the links to the sites are there, I was talking about the Excel files/.PDFs....

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:00 am 

Ok, I am still plugging away at my new Excel collection spread sheet. I am on night number 6  - about 3 hours each - of inputing data. It is killing me in the morning, but I am fighting the battle.

I have decided to add a column of "value" and "cost/what I am willing to pay" for each item that I own or need to get. I am using Acaeum values for the most part to standardize the list. When I am done, in a few more nights, I will be able to hit that grand total formula for that entire column and get the overal value of my entire collection. Then I will pour myself a drink and try not to freak out over the dollars spent and if I should not sell off the whole thing ( 8O ).

The side part of finally putting together a comprehensive excel list is that I am finding all kinds of "kinks" in the armor of my collection. Examples, are missing modules that I thought I had, sixth printings of something that I should really have a first of, modules with some sort of detraction that I either missed or did not care about 20 years ago, and that sort of stuff.

So If you have never done a comprehensive list, do so. I have used a list done on Word using that generic chart generator - but it doesn't give you the options of excel.

Another side effect is that I will print that list, take some pics and store them somewhere else. That way, I can recoup losses in case of disaster. Or let's say I get hit by the proverbial bus, at least my wife can then sell off the stuff and know what she should be doing versus dumping it in the garbage which is not out of the realm of possibility. She will be pissed at how much I spent - though most was prior to marriage 13 long years ago! :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:47 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:This reminds me of a question I have. I use excel to track all my sales, however, I have been wondering for some time how you can add a "drop down arrow" feature to a cell so that it can be used for multiple formulas (i.e. you click the drop down which lists two or more possible formulas and select which one you want to the cell to use).

Every time I think of it, I get bored trying to navigate through the miasma of Excel "help".

This would aid me greatly in computing the cost for Paypal fees (domestic vs. international) and ebay fees when the sale goes above $25. For years I've been manually changing the equations when these situations come up.

thanks!!!

Well, depending on the complexity you're looking for, you might be able to accomplish this with the "IF(<test>, <true>, <false>") function, something like:

+IF(A1 < 25, A1*0.1, A1*0.3)

In other words, if the value in cell A1 is less than 25, place 10% of the value of A1 in this cell, otherwise put 30% of the value of A1 in this cell.  

(I'm not recommending those numbers, it's just an example.  You could use constants as well, depending on how you want to charge shipping, I leave that for you:

+IF(A1 < 25, 5.5, 8.5)

I know it's an old post and probably no one is interested, but I wanted to give you a quick "Thanks" Deimos.  I finally got around to working on this and the exact formula is:

=IF(A1>25,SUM(A1-25)*(0.03)+1.31,(A1*0.0525))

This will calculate ebay's sell fees so that any value $25 or less is x .0525 and any value above is the first $25 (which is $1.31) plus the amount over x .03 (which is the percent over $25 ebay charges)

It even takes into account the rate increase as of Feb 26 from .0275 to .03).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Previous