How to keep track of all this stuff
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:42 am 

Hi Guys,

My collection is growing quite large.  I have now run into the problem of keeping track of everything (electronically).  I have separate exel sheets for D & D Modules, AD &D Modules, Books & Rule Sets, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Periodicals (Dungeon, Polyhedron, Dragon magazines).  The problem is (as some of you well know) some of this stuff fits more than one catagory.  Example AD & D I14 Swords of the Legion - I have placed this on the AD & D modules spreadsheet.  However, since it is a Forgotten Realms Module it could go onto the Forgotten Realms spreadsheet.  

I guess I would like to hear how you all (especially those of you with incredibly large collections) keep it all straight?

Thanks
Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:28 am 

Prufrock wrote:Hi Guys,

My collection is growing quite large. I have now run into the problem of keeping track of everything (electronically). I have separate exel sheets for D & D Modules, AD &D Modules, Books & Rule Sets, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Periodicals (Dungeon, Polyhedron, Dragon magazines). The problem is (as some of you well know) some of this stuff fits more than one catagory. Example AD & D I14 Swords of the Legion - I have placed this on the AD & D modules spreadsheet. However, since it is a Forgotten Realms Module it could go onto the Forgotten Realms spreadsheet.

I guess I would like to hear how you all (especially those of you with incredibly large collections) keep it all straight?

Thanks
Martin

Truthfully, I do it via memory for the most part. I have doen inventories in the past just by writing a "want list" after going through my stuff and finding the holes, but for the most part I work from memory. :)  Obvious Note: This is proabably not the best way to keep track of your stuff. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:44 am 

I will be creating a "Want List" this weekend.  Will be looking to fill some module holes when I get my tax refund back early next year.

martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:48 am 

bclarkie wrote:

My collection is growing quite large. I have now run into the problem of keeping track of everything (electronically). I have separate exel sheets for D & D Modules, AD &D Modules, Books & Rule Sets, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Periodicals (Dungeon, Polyhedron, Dragon magazines). The problem is (as some of you well know) some of this stuff fits more than one catagory. Example AD & D I14 Swords of the Legion - I have placed this on the AD & D modules spreadsheet. However, since it is a Forgotten Realms Module it could go onto the Forgotten Realms spreadsheet.

Thanks
Martin

Truthfully, I do it via memory for the most part. I have doen inventories in the past just by writing a "want list" after going through my stuff and finding the holes, but for the most part I work from memory. :) Obvious Note: This is proabably not the best way to keep track of your stuff. :roll:

I did the memory thing for a while, ended up with 3 copies of the marklands (never could remeber if I had that one) and none of Iuz the Evil (I was sure I had that one :? )  I now use a very comprehensive Excell sheet, spilts printings, condition, values.  It rules.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:54 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Thanks
Martin

Truthfully, I do it via memory for the most part. I have doen inventories in the past just by writing a "want list" after going through my stuff and finding the holes, but for the most part I work from memory. :) Obvious Note: This is proabably not the best way to keep track of your stuff. :roll:

I will attest to memory not being the best way....especially when you are getting on up there and it starts to fade. I am trying to organize everything myself right now and already I have found I have two and three of many items, some not so common, so I will be looking to sell or trade in the near future.

Earlier this year or late last year someone sent me a PDF that was basically a checklist. I printed it out and have my copy but for the life of me I can not find the electronic. It was made to look like a 1st or 2nd edition module and had the letters CC in its code. Does anyone here remember this as this would work well for what Prufrok wants I think.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:55 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
I did the memory thing for a while, ended up with 3 copies of the marklands (never could remeber if I had that one) and none of Iuz the Evil (I was sure I had that one :? ) I now use a very comprehensive Excell sheet, spilts printings, condition, values. It rules.

J

Yea, every once in a while I have come with unintentional dups.  I also for the longest time though that I had all the AC supps, but lo and behold I just realized several months ago that I had dup copies of AC8 and none of AC3. :x  Now it reamains as the only item outdide of the lever 4 & 5 rarities that I dont have at least 1 copy of. :roll:  Of course that does stop me from bidding on items I already own looking to upgrade and hopefully in the not so distant future will be able to finally complete my collecting goal of owning at least 1 copy of 1st ed AD&D/D&D common modules and itmes in original shrink. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:00 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:
I did the memory thing for a while, ended up with 3 copies of the marklands (never could remeber if I had that one) and none of Iuz the Evil (I was sure I had that one :? ) I now use a very comprehensive Excell sheet, spilts printings, condition, values. It rules.

J

Yea, every once in a while I have come with unintentional dups. I also for the longest time though that I had all the AC supps, but lo and behold I just realized several months ago that I had dup copies of AC8 and none of AC3. :x Now it reamains as the only item outdide of the lever 4 & 5 rarities that I dont have at least 1 copy of. :roll: Of course that does stop me from bidding on items I already own looking to upgrade and hopefully in the not so distant future will be able to finally complete my collecting goal of owning at least 1 copy of 1st ed AD&D/D&D common modules and itmes in original shrink. 8O

I go back and forth on shrinkwrap. I want to be able to read it. Often time the only reason I buy in the shrink is so I can get an item in better shape. If I can't pick it up, open it and read it then I have to question why I own it, unless it is to perhaps years down the road resell.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:12 pm 

I have separate exel sheets ...
The problem is (as some of you well know) some of this stuff fits more than one catagory.

Well, in my opinion it would be far too much work to be worth the effort, but if you're up to the task, it sounds like the perfect job for a relational database.  Maybe you could do it in Access, if you have the whole Office suite...

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:19 pm 

Marlith wrote:

"Earlier this year or late last year someone sent me a PDF that was basically a checklist. I printed it out and have my copy but for the life of me I can not find the electronic. It was made to look like a 1st or 2nd edition module and had the letters CC in its code. Does anyone here remember this as this would work well for what Prufrok wants I think".

I have a copy of this, thanks Marlith.  I will be going thru the collection with it in hand to determine the holes I have.  I was just wondering how everyone else keeps track of their collection.  

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:19 pm 

Marlith wrote:

"Earlier this year or late last year someone sent me a PDF that was basically a checklist. I printed it out and have my copy but for the life of me I can not find the electronic. It was made to look like a 1st or 2nd edition module and had the letters CC in its code. Does anyone here remember this as this would work well for what Prufrok wants I think".

I have a copy of this, thanks Marlith.  I will be going thru the collection with it in hand to determine the holes I have.  I was just wondering how everyone else keeps track of their collection.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:20 pm 

Marlith wrote:I go back and forth on shrinkwrap. I want to be able to read it. Often time the only reason I buy in the shrink is so I can get an item in better shape. If I can't pick it up, open it and read it then I have to question why I own it, unless it is to perhaps years down the road resell.

Once again this is probably not the suggested way to collect, but I actually have dups of just about every module that are opened already as well, and this is done to help combat the desire to open the unopened ones that I have. :)  It is defintely pricey in the long run, but my ultimate goal of collecting is to have 2 of everything, one as a collectors piece and one to browse through/use. :wink:  Then again, I could really be a print run junkie for everything and have 5, 6, 7 copies of every module. 8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:28 pm 

This reminds me of a question I have.  I use excel to track all my sales, however, I have been wondering for some time how you can add a "drop down arrow" feature to a cell so that it can be used for multiple formulas (i.e. you click the drop down which lists two or more possible formulas and select which one you want to the cell to use).

Every time I think of it, I get bored trying to navigate through the miasma of Excel "help".  

This would aid me greatly in computing the cost for Paypal fees (domestic vs. international) and ebay fees when the sale goes above $25.  For years I've been manually changing the equations when these situations come up.

thanks!!!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:05 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:This reminds me of a question I have. I use excel to track all my sales, however, I have been wondering for some time how you can add a "drop down arrow" feature to a cell so that it can be used for multiple formulas (i.e. you click the drop down which lists two or more possible formulas and select which one you want to the cell to use).

Every time I think of it, I get bored trying to navigate through the miasma of Excel "help".

This would aid me greatly in computing the cost for Paypal fees (domestic vs. international) and ebay fees when the sale goes above $25. For years I've been manually changing the equations when these situations come up.

thanks!!!

Well, depending on the complexity you're looking for, you might be able to accomplish this with the "IF(<test>, <true>, <false>") function, something like:

+IF(A1 < 25, A1*0.1, A1*0.3)

In other words, if the value in cell A1 is less than 25, place 10% of the value of A1 in this cell, otherwise put 30% of the value of A1 in this cell.  

(I'm not recommending those numbers, it's just an example.  You could use constants as well, depending on how you want to charge shipping, I leave that for you:

+IF(A1 < 25, 5.5, 8.5)

If that won't work/isn't quite what you're looking for, try this page I randomly chose from Google:

http://www.excel-vba.com/excel-drop-down-lists.htm

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:27 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Marlith wrote:

I have a copy of this, thanks Marlith. I will be going thru the collection with it in hand to determine the holes I have. I was just wondering how everyone else keeps track of their collection.

Martin

Do you still have where it was downloaded from? I would like to replace the electronic version that I can't seem to locate

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:35 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I guess I would like to hear how you all (especially those of you with incredibly large collections) keep it all straight?

Well, my tiny collection isn't a problem to keep track of, but I do have some thoughts that might help you. I'm not sure if you've already thought of these ideas and discarded them, but I'll throw them out there anyway:

1. Excel will support hyperlinks. Add a notes column with notations such as "also see Forgotten Realms sheet"; then link the notes to the relevant sheets.

2. Merge all of your spreadsheets into one uber-spreadsheet. Or, technically, take all of your worksheets and make one big workbook.

3. Go old-school. Find a copy of the AD&D Triviathlon poster (sometimes found on eBay; also included with Dragon #227) and use it as a checklist. There's also been a few price guides published over the years in Inquest or Scrye that could be torn out of the magazines and used as a checklist.

4. Forget Excel and go to a database such as Access. Databases love multiple categories.

5. Send all of your stuff to me; I will make you a top-of-the-line spreadsheet, then send half of your items back to you. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Truthfully, I do it via memory for the most part.

Glad I'm not alone! :wink:

Problem is, I've bought things only to find that I already own a copy (and more than once for the same module :oops: ). Or I've gone to look for an item only to realise that I don't own it. And I've even bought stuff and then put it straight into my sale pile without realising until its listed, won and posted! Gives me an excuse to buy it again I suppose! :D

And it doesn't help that I've got stuff in a cupboard, chest of drawers, filing cabinet, shelves and several boxes.  Plus my pending filing areas i.e. the stairs, the floor, and any surface which is empty enough to balance something on it.

I really must organise myself! :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:40 pm 

Unlike most of the "well-endowed" members of this board, mine is actually a fairly small collection...and I don't mind admitting to it because in this case it's not really the size that counts.   :P   Er...riiiiight.

So, I just keep a mental list, and can see most of it on the bookshelf.  However, I have been giving thought to listing it all in an Excel spreadsheet or something like that.  I guess the main reason I haven't to date is because doing so would undoubtedly tempt me to add up the amount I've spent building this little collection, and that's more than I want to know.  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Unlike most of the "well-endowed" members of this board, mine is actually a fairly small collection...and I don't mind admitting to it because in this case it's not really the size that counts.  :P  Er...riiiiight.

So, I just keep a mental list, and can see most of it on the bookshelf. However, I have been giving thought to listing it all in an Excel spreadsheet or something like that. I guess the main reason I haven't to date is because doing so would undoubtedly tempt me to add up the amount I've spent building this little collection, and that's more than I want to know. 8O

ive started to make a list ooooh about 50 times by now :)

i start off with great intentions then after about an hour, get fed up, put everything back and think "oh i will do it sometime soon"... you know how it is :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Next