Looking for an OCE
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:55 pm 

Hi all - I am in the market to purchase an OCE.  Looking to pay ~$100ish... that's about the going rate, ain't it?  Doesn't have to be pristine condition, but >fair would be nice.  I might consider purchasing an earlier printing if you've got it.  

Aneoth was my last contact, but I believe he sold off all his stuff :( ... anyone else?

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:05 pm 

beermotor wrote:Hi all - I am in the market to purchase an OCE. Looking to pay ~$100ish... that's about the going rate, ain't it? Doesn't have to be pristine condition, but >fair would be nice. I might consider purchasing an earlier printing if you've got it.

Aneoth was my last contact, but I believe he sold off all his stuff :( ... anyone else?

BM for that much, you should easily get one off ebay? they come up very often as you know and i am sure i've seen quite a lot show for a fair bit less than that....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
beermotor wrote:Hi all - I am in the market to purchase an OCE. Looking to pay ~$100ish... that's about the going rate, ain't it? Doesn't have to be pristine condition, but >fair would be nice. I might consider purchasing an earlier printing if you've got it.

BM for that much, you should easily get one off ebay? they come up very often as you know and i am sure i've seen quite a lot show for a fair bit less than that....

Al

There are at least three up right now, and I'm not looking very hard... High bids are $31, $31, $21 at the moment.  ;)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:56 pm 

Wonder why demois, not that you put in a bid or anything. ;)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:53 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

There are at least three up right now, and I'm not looking very hard... High bids are $31, $31, $21 at the moment. ;)

What search terms do you use?  I used dungeons, dragons, OCE, white box, original, etc and only got one hit for $200.00 ... which seemed quite ridiculous.

WWW ICQ  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:36 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Wonder why demois, not that you put in a bid or anything. ;)

Heh.  I almost always put in a bid of $20-40, just in case everyone drops the ball (hasn't happened yet).   :wink:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:56 am 

beermotor wrote:What search terms do you use? I used dungeons, dragons, OCE, white box, original, etc and only got one hit for $200.00 ... which seemed quite ridiculous.

Well, I don't want to give away all my secrets, but here's a sample search that I use specifically for OCEs.  In "Fantasy":

(od&d, oce, "white box", "original collector's edition", "6th printing") -"handbook" -d20 -magazine

It's best to run multiple positive/negative searches to avoid missing stuff, and tweak them often!  I'm currently at 13, all of which are 6 months out of date...  :?

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:30 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
beermotor wrote:What search terms do you use? I used dungeons, dragons, OCE, white box, original, etc and only got one hit for $200.00 ... which seemed quite ridiculous.

(od&d, oce, "white box", "original collector's edition", "6th printing") -"handbook" -d20 -magazine

I think you forgot the most obvious one, Deimos;

"1974 1st edition!". RARE!! BUY, BUY, BUY!!! :D

;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:03 pm 

BM, here is an OCE ending in just over 17 hours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

It is still sitting at $51.00 and it is actually in nice shape so it should stay at a reasonable price. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:11 pm 

Thanks ... I'm bidding on a few crappy ones here and there.  I'm sure I will get a bite before Xmas.

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:29 pm 

There was one that closed yesterday (not much good to you I know) for $58 or something like that. The box looked bad due to what might have been rust spots or some sort of splatter. I mention it only because a forum member got it if I am not mistaken. There were also others that bid on it. I for the life of me can't find it. Perhaps if a forum member picked it up they might offer you a good price or if it was an upgrade for them they might have the one they are replacing to sell.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:28 pm 

beermotor wrote:Thanks ... I'm bidding on a few crappy ones here and there. I'm sure I will get a bite before Xmas.

I saw one you were bidding on and I won't up my bid on it anymore. I need 3 more for Xmas gifts for my group ( of 8 ) but theres so many up right now ( 7 ) I can't see not reaching that goal by then :D  ( I'm high bidder on 3 atm )......*looks around for Deimos*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:34 pm 

OK. I promise not to bid on the hybrid set.... Image

*bites tail*

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:44 pm 

Hey...I'm looking for a woodgrain set  :twisted: . Anybody here willing to stop bidding on the newest one? If not its ok  :cry:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:46 am 

Daimajin wrote:
beermotor wrote:Thanks ... I'm bidding on a few crappy ones here and there. I'm sure I will get a bite before Xmas.

I saw one you were bidding on and I won't up my bid on it anymore. I need 3 more for Xmas gifts for my group ( of 8 ) but theres so many up right now ( 7 ) I can't see not reaching that goal by then :D ( I'm high bidder on 3 atm )......*looks around for Deimos*

Ah...well that answers who that is. ;) Don't worry about me, my bark's usually worse than my bite.  [edit]By the way, there are 11 up by my count...

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:28 pm 

Was expecting you to bid on this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8717797240

Not cheap enough?  Or did it pass under the radar?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:36 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Was expecting you to bid on this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8717797240

Not cheap enough? Or did it pass under the radar?

I would have gone higher, but I missed the auction end.  Was expecting someone to go ~80 for it, anyway.  Congrats to Julia on that one.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:11 pm 

Wow, speaking of Cheapy OCE sets, granted there are no reference sheets, but still....

Poor Renideeergamez:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

How did you all let this one slip by for a lot less than the other one. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next