In Memory of Keith Parkinson
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 am 

A horribly sad note to pass along to everyone. I just received word that Keith Parkinson passed away yesterday (10/26) afternoon after a year and a half long battle with leukemia. I had known that Keith was ill for some time, but had been hopeful that he would pull through . . . .

I don't know what else to say . . . .

Donations in Keith's memory can be made to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8477

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:56 am 

tsrart wrote:A horribly sad note to pass along to everyone. I just received word that Keith Parkinson passed away yesterday (10/26) afternoon after a year and a half long battle with leukemia. I had known that Keith was ill for some time, but had been hopeful that he would pull through . . . .

I don't know what else to say . . . .

Donations in Keith's memory can be made to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=8477

Wow.  
Along with Elmore and Caldwell, Parkinson was one of the great "second wave" of TSR artists that helped define the game for the 1980s (and helped insure it's exploding popularity during that period, IMO).  If he'd drawn nothing else, he would have been remembered for the cover to T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil, one of the most incredibly iconic D&D images of all time.  The cover to GDQ1-7 might be lesser known/imitated, but by itself that work of art is possibly the coolest piece of Dungeons & Dragons art EVER!
How very sad, but what a great legacy the man has left behind....

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:20 pm 

There's a short article at:

I only met Keith once (the first GenCon SoCal), but I very much enjoyed my conversation with him. Enjoyed it so much, in fact, I bought a huge print that destroyed my budget for the weekend ...

Rest easy, Keith.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:29 pm 

As a collector who collects for the "Art" this is very demoralizing.  The cover to T1-4 is one of the finest examples of fantasy art out there.  To know that he will no longer be creating is a blow to me.

Rest in Peace, Keith.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:18 pm 

:cry:

Keith's art is truly fantastic, and graces the cover of many, many books I've enjoyed. A sad day :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:05 pm 

Thanks for the notice, Pat. Sadness indeed.

Here is a lovely piece by Keith called Cherenvog (1990)......

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:46 pm 

Best of the 2nd generation of D&D artists.  Truley a major loss to the art community and to his fans.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:43 pm 

The industry has now lost 2 of its finest and most repected artists of all time in less that 6 months. :cry:   The Dragon magazine artwork by Keith is what I always appreciated the most. There was something about his artwork that always seems to spur my imagination.  Just looking at the scans on the site of the covers for #106 & #137 and others still makes me wander off in to some other far away land...............

Very sad indeed. :cry:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:05 pm 

bclarkie wrote:The industry has now lost 2 of its finest and most repected artists of all time in less that 6 months. :cry:  The Dragon magazine artwork by Keith is what I always appreciated the most. There was something about his artwork that always seems to spur my imagination. Just looking at the scans on the site of the covers for #106 & #137 and others still makes me wander off in to some other far away land...............

Very sad indeed. :cry:

yeah i agree, there isnt many artists out there that can actually fuel my imagination, but keith is defo one of them. quality of his work is superb.

a great loss indeed....

Al

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:23 pm 

I know I will miss him.  His art along with Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, and Jeff Easley defined fantasy adventure for me.  Queen of Spiders and Saga of the Shadow Lord are easily two out of three of my favorite works of his.  My all-time favorite has to be North Watch.
http://members.fortunecity.com/mrmagoo/ ... -watch.jpg

Goodbye Keith.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:17 am 

:/

Thoughts to his family at this sad time.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:26 am 

Oh my goodness. That is so sad.  :cry: His artwork was a personal inspiration as well as admired in my D&D group. I'm thinking a moment of silence will be happening next session.

Sympathies to his family. His artwork will always be appreciated.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:42 am 

Just a passing thought, but maybe Erik et al could do a special Dragon in memory of him?

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:10 pm 

Man, was I shocked when I signed in and read that he died!  Definitely one od the best fantasy artist's, and arguably THE best RPG artist, it is truly a great loss for everyone, admirer's of art and collector's alike. Thoughts to his family.