Assistance required with transfer of funds to US bank acct..
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:01 pm 

Apologies for posting this here. (My little bit of frustration from last Friday; and several other times in the last couple of months).
Will delete this thread later...

=
I require assistance from someone in the US who has a spare $1,000 or so kicking around their bank account which they could transfer electronically to another US account within the next few days. Don't worry, I'll pay! :D

Basically I have a (genuine) seller whom, I presume for privacy reasons, does not wish to use any other conventional method that will disclose their home address. Unfortunately, UK anti-fraud regulations (for my bank and a few others I've tried) are now insisting that I have the recipient's home address for an international money transfer. Have even had the recipient temporarily agree with their bank manager to change their home addy to "care of" the bank's addy. No dice...
Have been all the way around the shops on other possibilities and having someone do an intra-US bank transfer now seems like the best option to me. Didn't wish to impose on anyone, hence asking the whole board.

If possible, I would like to PayPal across the full monies to be paid (plus the international PayPal exchange fee), plus a further $25 or so to cover time & effort; all of which can be "accepted" before progressing with the bank transfer.
If anyone has a US merchant account for credit cards and could take payment via this route (thus reducing the percentage charged compared with PayPal), I'd be more than willing to increase the $25 accordingly. *waves fist at money-grabbing PayPal*

Please PM me if possible, or for further comms/queries.
(Regular or semi-regular(?) Acaeum members only, please :))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:22 pm 

Hi David,

I did a bank transfer from Bank of Scotland to a German account about six weeks ago, 'cos the guy wouldn't accept PayPal. I filled out a form and provided the guys bank details and IBAN number, but I didn't have to provide his home address. It was only for £30, but I was charged £15 for the the service.

Sorry I can't help though.

Ask IO. He's got loads of money. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hi David,

I did a bank transfer from Bank of Scotland to a German account about six weeks ago, 'cos the guy wouldn't accept PayPal. I filled out a form and provided the guys bank details and IBAN number, but I didn't have to provide his home address. It was only for £30, but I was charged £15 for the the service.

Sorry I can't help though.

Ask IO. He's got loads of money. :D

when i bought my JG books from the US, i had to provide their address.

maybe its a UK>US thing?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:maybe its a UK>US thing?

Yeah. They're a real shifty lot, I hear. :wink:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:36 pm 

I could probably help, David.  Let me check with Heather on the state of our finances.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:14 pm 

Seems like someone so concerned about their privacy might have a PO Box? Do they? If they did, couldn't you send them an International money order (or two if 1,000 is above the limit).

If you are willing to pay someone $25 to help, you could use that money to buy your seller a PO Box for 1 month . . . of course, this would delay things a bit . . . but it's a thought.

Or what about Western Union? That can be accomplished within a few days. (I think I've given my address for Western Union, but I don't know if you have to in order to pick up your check . . .)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 pm 

The more I think about it . . .

Harami, do you have his address?  If the seller thinks they can keep that from you, they are mistaken.  In today's anti-terrorist society, many countries (if not all) won't accept a package without a return address.  (I know Canada won't . . . and without the return address it would stay in Customs until disposed of).  I assume UK would have similar regulations.  Plus, if they declare a value over $400, they would have to fill out the "long" custom form which asks for their return address (and this would arrive with the package, I believe).

So, if you have their address (or can convince them you soon will), there seems to be several possibilities for mailing them payment.

If the seller is unwilling to put their address on the package or customs forms . . . you won't be receiving it anyway!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:06 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:The more I think about it . . .

Harami, do you have his address? If the seller thinks they can keep that from you, they are mistaken. In today's anti-terrorist society, many countries (if not all) won't accept a package without a return address. (I know Canada won't . . . and without the return address it would stay in Customs until disposed of). I assume UK would have similar regulations. Plus, if they declare a value over $400, they would have to fill out the "long" custom form which asks for their return address (and this would arrive with the package, I believe).

So, if you have their address (or can convince them you soon will), there seems to be several possibilities for mailing them payment.

If the seller is unwilling to put their address on the package or customs forms . . . you won't be receiving it anyway!

David, this is very true and even if it wasnt true, I would have some serious questions as to why the seller would so interested in being so "private".  I can understand someone's desire to remain anonymous is certain circumstances, but to have a desire to remain anonymous on a transaction of this magnitude seems shady at best.  Above and beyond that though, no one is shipping anything outside of the US without at least a return address, let alone the receiving country allowing it in with a properly and fully filled out customs form.  To be honest, the way things are now, I don't even think that a PO Box would be sufficient as a return address on the customs form, due the post 9/11 Patriot act put in place by Congress a few years ago.  You might want to relay this info to the seller to see what they have to say.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:32 am 

Dude, youre gonna pay $1000 to someone who wont indentify themselves?

Genuine seller my arse.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:36 am 

Well, lets say the seller was a notable author, Mr Hickman for example, or even a seller who was a notable author who disappeared many aeon ago and doesn't want to return. An author selling of his complimentary copies. A collector who doesn't want people to know what he has and hasn't got. Someone who doesn't want people to know he is selling his prize pieces. Or even Alan's friend who's sitting on a box of ST1's. If I has a box of ST1's I wouldn't want people to know if I were selling them off slowly.

Maybe they would be better off using a friend's address to ship to and from. Or an agent like Paul.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:10 pm 

thats what i was just gonna say actually. cant one of the US guys sort it - have it shipped there and then whip it over the water that way and then you at least know where you stand.

sounds VERY dodgy otherwise this...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:02 am 

mbassoc2003.....the person  you are not describing sounds very much like Carl Sargent.

Close?    :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:49 am 

David---

Heather said money's too tight right now, so you'll have to find another patsy :D :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:21 pm 

Like the others have said, that package isn't going anywhere without a return address. Tell him to get a PO Box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:05 am 

nn wrote:Dude, youre gonna pay $1000 to someone who wont indentify themselves?

Genuine seller my arse.

Nope, seller was genuine although I can easily see the reason for doubt :)
There wasn't even a picture of the item for sale!

In the end, the deal the seller had agreed "in writing" to accept was reneged on without any attempt to get back in touch to ask what was up, or to say the deal was off, despite my attempts to get back in touch with them via the only comms option at my disposal to say the payment would be coming from a US source. (Indeed, they haven't signed on here for nearly a month, so that was never going to work!).

Many thanks to the one board member who offered their services to assist with the transfer of funds.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:20 am 

i just read this thread for the first time. my wife and i got married on october 8th and just recently got back from our honeymoon. anyway, i would be happy to try to help you in future if i can be of any assistance, bill

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:20 am 

harami2000 wrote:Many thanks to the one board member who offered their services to assist with the transfer of funds.

i would have gladly helped but i dont live in the US :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:37 am 

David, check your PMs as soon as possible.  The one PM I sent you is very time sensitive. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next