Whats your opinion(s) on this buy?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:33 pm 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Or if you have problems with that link, here's the item # 8709466424

Included in the auction was a white box D&D set with the splat on it (6th printing?) ... along with what appears to be a mint Holmes Basic Set ... but the true gem of it (for me at least) was the mint or near mint Grenadier boxed set: Dungeon Explorers, that still had the original paper cover sheet with it! I love the old minis! Thats my #1 collection favorite.

Anyways, just looking for some feedback on it. How far off the sale price was from the collector value price, etc. Thanks.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:39 pm 

Not sure of the close price. I had been watching it for a couple of days and hoping to steal it on the cheap. Up to may 25 seconds to go it still looked possible. I kep noticing that you were make repeat bids. What di you make like 4 last second bids with a higher each time?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:43 pm 

Close to it. Yes ;)

I had to beat a high amount snipe 30 seconds to go. It was pure luck that my counter bid was higher than the snipe bid ... because there was no time left for a follow up.

I was dead set on getting those miniatures ;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:46 pm 

Well if all you were really after I am sure I could find it in my heart to try and work out a deal the other two boxes  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:52 pm 

With the market the way it is now, you should get a great price for the white box set if you choose to re-list it on ebay to help offset your cost.  I feel like any purchase that adds to my collection without causing me financial strain is a good buy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:53 pm 

Marlith wrote:Well if all you were really after I am sure I could find it in my heart to try and work out a deal the other two boxes 8)

No way, dude, I got dibs.  If I weren't stuck in Greece with a lag time from hell, I would currently be selling him the worthless-to-me minis and pawing through my new OCE box set...   :(

And if you want to know what the value of the items are, once you get 'em, put 'em back on e-bay.

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:54 pm 

Let me take a look at them when they arrive. You can reach me at
dweimer at fuse.net

I admit though, I'm an avid AD&D'er but I own no copies of the white box original set, I was intrigued by finally getting a copy of it ... but yes 75% of it for me was the Grenadier miniatures :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:56 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:No way, dude, I got dibs. If I weren't stuck in Greece with a lag time from hell, I would currently be selling him the worthless-to-me minis and pawing through my new OCE box set... :(

LOL.

Those items are all mint to near mint. In the other picts I was sent, the miniatures didn't look touched, and the chits are still attached to the cardboard on the Holmes set. I was thinking an estate sale would mean a very good condition on those items.

Probably sitting in some sort of sealed box for 20 years+ in the attic of some widows mansion.

;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:10 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:
Marlith wrote:Well if all you were really after I am sure I could find it in my heart to try and work out a deal the other two boxes 8)

No way, dude, I got dibs. If I weren't stuck in Greece with a lag time from hell, I would currently be selling him the worthless-to-me minis and pawing through my new OCE box set...  :(

And if you want to know what the value of the items are, once you get 'em, put 'em back on e-bay.

If it weren't for you he would have got it for $60 or so as I was not going to go crazy after watching him do all the bidding. When it comes time to sell remmber who cost you all the extra cash  :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:11 pm 

I had my snipe set at $81, but it didn't even register. Those items do all look VERY minty. For resale, you're right about on the money to me. I love those old Grenadier sets too, and that one looks as good as I've seen. All collector's quality items for sure. Good win!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:45 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:I had my snipe set at $81, but it didn't even register. Those items do all look VERY minty. For resale, you're right about on the money to me. I love those old Grenadier sets too, and that one looks as good as I've seen. All collector's quality items for sure. Good win!

Pretty close to mine as well, had a 80.50 snipe in hoping for a steal, but figuring on it to go for about what it did.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:51 pm 

Marlith wrote:
If it weren't for you he would have got it for $60 or so as I was not going to go crazy after watching him do all the bidding. When it comes time to sell remmber who cost you all the extra cash :twisted:

Yep. Gotta look out for fellow Ohioans. Cincinnati here.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:17 pm 

Kered0871 wrote:
Marlith wrote:
If it weren't for you he would have got it for $60 or so as I was not going to go crazy after watching him do all the bidding. When it comes time to sell remmber who cost you all the extra cash :twisted:

Yep. Gotta look out for fellow Ohioans. Cincinnati here.

personally, i thought it was a really good win, considering the condition of the items!

good one,

Al