Random Assorted Collecting Questions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:22 am 

I march to the beat of my own collecting drum, which means that random is often the order of the day for any of my questions, but I'm hoping that the Turing Machine that is the collected knowledge of this board can answer a few questions that I have.

Plus, most of us don't get asked enough stupid questions by friends, family or colleagues in the course of a day, so having some sent our way by total strangers in forums helps us remain well-balanced. To whit;

Do the RPGA modules (Riddle of Dolmen Moor, et. al.) have TSR product numbers?

Do the R series modules (To the Aid of Falx, et. al.) have TSR product numbers?

Is there really a FOR2: Drow of the Underdark which has a plain black background, instead of the black background with the embossed spiderweb pattern?

Does anyone else think that the sample adventure in the back of the basic blue book might be the most perfect adventure ever? Just me then?

If I wrote about 4 years ago that there were 2 covers to FOR1, one with an "uncrested dragon head, left facing" and another with "crested dragon head, right facing," what the hell did I mean?

Is there any internal difference between MC3: Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium III Appendix and the Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium Appendix which has the same cover art, but no MC number, and doesn't have the III on it? I ask because both are listed as TSR 2104.

Did any living soul actually open a Birthright Campaign supplement, or is every single one still mint, in shrinkwrap?

Did TSR ever print a copy of its Fast Play rules with the Ruined Tower?

My thanks in advance, but no guarantees that more stupid questions won't be forthcoming.

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:10 am 

There is a Drow of the Underdark with a plain black background (more common, I think?).  Also one with Red Lettering on the top to match the style on the black cover rulebooks that were issued.

There is no product code for the RPGA modules that appear in Polyhedron.

Indeed, some Birthright campaign supplements were - in fact - opened.  But all of them are still NEAR MINT and unused.  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:13 am 

Yama-Arashi wrote:[list]Do the RPGA modules (Riddle of Dolmen Moor, et. al.) have TSR product numbers?

6064 RPGA1 Rahasia
6065 RPGA2 Black Opal Eye
6066 RPGA3 The Forgotten King
6067 RPGA4 Elixir of Life

not sure the ones after that have them tho - were they just tourney only?

Yama-Arashi wrote:Do the R series modules (To the Aid of Falx, et. al.) have TSR product numbers?

6060 R1 To the Aid of Falx
6061 R2 Investigation of Hydell
6062 R3 Egg of the Phoenix
6063 R4 Doc's Island

Yama-Arashi wrote:Is there really a FOR2: Drow of the Underdark which has a plain black background, instead of the black background with the embossed spiderweb pattern?

i can't say i recollect seeing one, but then i dont have the biggest of collections. one of the other guys who have tons of stuff passing thru them will be able to clear you up on that one. if you are aware of it....perhaps you could enlighten a little more?

Yama-Arashi wrote:Does anyone else think that the sample adventure in the back of the basic blue book might be the most perfect adventure ever? Just me then?

ummmm no :) its a good little example but thats all imo ;)

Yama-Arashi wrote:If I wrote about 4 years ago that there were 2 covers to FOR1, one with an "uncrested dragon head, left facing" and another with "crested dragon head, right facing," what the hell did I mean?

that you looked at the book in a mirror? :D

Yama-Arashi wrote:Is there any internal difference between MC3: Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium III Appendix and the Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium Appendix which has the same cover art, but no MC number, and doesn't have the III on it?

ya know i have had both items many times, but have never really looked to see what contents they have. i would be really surprised tho if the contents were the same. how could TSR justify releasing two products with the same contents like that? i think the 2nd appendix prb had more monsters to add to the original compendium

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:15 am 

hah BTB wrote a reply while i was doing this one - oh well :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 am 

While Killjoy is clearly a scholar and a gentleman, he is incorrect on one thing.

That little scenario in the Blue Book is GREAT! A great example of pizza and suds night adventuring!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:55 am 

bbarsh wrote:While Killjoy is clearly a scholar and a gentleman, he is incorrect on one thing.

That little scenario in the Blue Book is GREAT! A great example of pizza and suds night adventuring!

:D  :D  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:06 am 

Yama-Arashi wrote:
Did any living soul actually open a Birthright Campaign supplement, or is every single one still mint, in shrinkwrap?

No, I believe that every one ever made is still shrinkwrapped. I think they are passed back and forth through ebay from reseller, to collector to reseller kind of like a little AD&D fruitcake.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:08 am 

Reindeergamez wrote:
Yama-Arashi wrote:

No, I believe that every one ever made is still shrinkwrapped. I think they are passed back and forth through ebay from reseller, to collector to reseller kind of like a little AD&D fruitcake.

Correct.  They only printed seventeen copies, in fact.  They just circulate so fast nobody notices.  :lol:

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:16 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:There is no product code for the RPGA modules that appear in Polyhedron

The Polyhedron range includes RPGA5, 6, 7 and 8?

killjoy32 wrote:ummmm no  its a good little example but thats all imo  

C'mon, Killjoy!  Not even a little love for the sample adventure's exposed side view drawing of the dungeon and towers?  The underground sea? Never tried to write out the rest of the levels yourself?  Man, many a tree gave its life so I could scribble out inane follow-ons to that adventure...   :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:36 am 

Yama-Arashi wrote:C'mon, Killjoy! Not even a little love for the sample adventure's exposed side view drawing of the dungeon and towers? The underground sea? Never tried to write out the rest of the levels yourself? Man, many a tree gave its life so I could scribble out inane follow-ons to that adventure...  :roll:

being very honest i have to admit that i never tried to use it or even really read it that much, so :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:55 am 

Yama-Arashi wrote: Does anyone else think that the sample adventure in the back of the basic blue book might be the most perfect adventure ever? Just me then?

Yes, I agree! Although there is a certain bias that comes with having the Holmes "blue" basic set as your first D&D set.  :D

I wrote some more in response to your question over in this thread:

Dungeon of Zenopus

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:05 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
Reindeergamez wrote:

Correct. They only printed seventeen copies, in fact. They just circulate so fast nobody notices. :lol:

LOL!! :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:13 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:Is there really a FOR2: Drow of the Underdark which has a plain black background, instead of the black background with the embossed spiderweb pattern?

See here: This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

Both have the spider-web pattern, but one is embossed, the other isn't. Is there also a plain black one?

Yama-Arashi wrote:If I wrote about 4 years ago that there were 2 covers to FOR1, one with an "uncrested dragon head, left facing" and another with "crested dragon head, right facing," what the hell did I mean?

And here: This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:14 pm 

blackdougal wrote:Both have the spider-web pattern, but one is embossed, the other isn't. Is there also a plain black one?

Actually, I see what you mean -- on close inspection they do both have the spiderwebbing, but the one is much fainter in the photo.  The 2 versions I have both have the embossed webbing, and I think I mistook the other for having none at all.   My thanks for catching that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:04 pm 

Unfortunately, I have the 1991 edition. I understand that is the more common one.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:29 am 

blackdougal wrote:
Both have the spider-web pattern, but one is embossed, the other isn't. Is there also a plain black one?

Actually, I see what you mean -- on close inspection they do both have the spiderwebbing, but the one is much fainter in the photo.  The 2 versions I have both have the embossed webbing, and I think I mistook the other for having none at all.   My thanks for catching that.

Oops!  My mistake . . . earlier I said that there is one without the spiderweb . . . I must have done the same thing.  I looked at scans I had for about ten different ones of these and only noticed the spider-web in two .  . . I don't think the "light" spiderweb shows up in my pics (even when they are very large . . .)

Sorry for the mis-info . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:34 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:! My mistake . . . earlier I said that there is one without the spiderweb . . . I must have done the same thing. I looked at scans I had for about ten different ones of these and only noticed the spider-web in two . . . I don't think the "light" spiderweb shows up in my pics (even when they are very large . . .)

Sorry for the mis-info . . .

yeah i just looked at mine. at a casual glance, you cant really notice the web on one of them. easy to say there isnt one.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:54 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:
Does anyone else think that the sample adventure in the back of the basic blue book might be the most perfect adventure ever? Just me then?  

Yes, I agree! Although there is a certain bias that comes with having the Holmes "blue" basic set as your first D&D set.  

I actually think B1 In Search of the Unknown is the perfect beginning adventure. You place the treasures and monsters in a sample dungeon with pretty much all the acoutrements of the traditional crawl, including some inspired bits like the Room of Pools, the First corridor, etc.  After this adventure, any novice player would pretty much understand what D&D is all about and be chomping at the bit to do more.  I've run this (conservatively) over 20 times since 1979, and every single time the players have had a blast. Most of those I ran through, this was their first ever adventure, and they have gone on to years and years of D&D fun as a result (I like to think it was a combo of this and my DMing style, oh well)
    This includes my wife, as this is the only adventure she ever went on, it was just to show her that there was no baby goat's blood guzzled while drawing pentagrams on our foreheads when playing (we did that after she left).

Mike B.

Next