9518 Treasure Tales  -- where are you?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:23 pm 

I've been collecting for quite some number of years now.  I'll be the first to admit that my collection is hardly "complete."  However, since I've been playing or collecting since 1978 I've seen most everything at one time or another.  

All except one thing; one small, seemingly insignificant item which has never crossed my path, not in a reseller's store, not on e-bay, nowhere -- TSR9518 Treasure Tales.

Can anyone tell me why this one 2nd edition item seems to be so hard to find?  Was it near the end of the road for TSR and the print run was small?  Was it so bad that they were hurled en masse into refuse pits by outraged consumers?  Was there a particularly bad winter in 1996 and people burned them to stay alive?  Is one of you using 5000 shrinkwrapped copies you picked up at GenCon 97 for 10 bucks as attic insulation?

Any insights appreciated...

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:33 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:Any insights appreciated...

hey yam do a search on the forums, cos someone was talking about that item not so long age - am pretty sure of it...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hey yam do a search on the forums, cos someone was talking about that item not so long age - am pretty sure of it...

Thanks, kill, I should have thought of that myself.  However, even after a search, I didn't find anything but a reference to the cover being given away for free, sans interior.  I tried a couple of different search iterations, but no joy.  

I'm becoming afraid that on my deathbed, my final utterance will be a cryptic "*koff* treasure tales....*ack*" and everyone will have to sit through the rest of a long, but seminal, b&w movie about my collecting habits in order to find out what the heck I meant...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:hey yam do a search on the forums, cos someone was talking about that item not so long age - am pretty sure of it...

Thanks, kill, I should have thought of that myself. However, even after a search, I didn't find anything but a reference to the cover being given away for free, sans interior. I tried a couple of different search iterations, but no joy.

I'm becoming afraid that on my deathbed, my final utterance will be a cryptic "*koff* treasure tales....*ack*" and everyone will have to sit through the rest of a long, but seminal, b&w movie about my collecting habits in order to find out what the heck I meant...

Was that me?  Let me check . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 pm 

500 - Interner Serverfehler. ?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:08 pm 

Aaron had two copies as well. Both gone now. (link)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:08 pm 

Well, I have the cover, but it was filled with the contents of Treasure Chest . . . Let me check through my stacks of Monstrous Compendiums (worst D&D acessory ever  :D  )

Maybe the remains are somewhere . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:09 pm 

or Fantasy World - Rollspel even?

(Why do I get the feeling they shipped most of these abroad? :))

However, Titan Games have sold two copies, too. ($8, $15)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:19 pm 

Mein Gott!  Ich mochte dieses produkt kaufen, aber 30 euro fur den transportkosten!  Ein Raub ist!

Many thanks, harami, you've hung me on the horns of a dilemma!   :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:25 pm 

*lol* :lol:

s'OK, let's try to unhook you...

Not sure about this link, but this one should be OK. Should've tried sooner, but was expecting sillier prices, if at all! :oops:

...Well, OK, $144.52 is rather silly! 8O

(aside: review of the elusive article! :))

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:47 pm 

Jiminy Crickets.  My feebleness apparently knows no bounds.  I am willing to swear that I searched Amazon.com not last week on this title, just on the off chance, and with no hits.  My search fu is obviously weak, and I am humbled.

However, I am wary of Amazon.com on TSR products.  I've gotten a couple of good deals, but my favorite Amazon.com TSR product story is a copy of Jungle of Chult I picked up for 3.49 + S&H from a bookstore in Texas.  When it arrives, imagine my surprise to open up the package to find a copy of FRE1 Shadowdale.  

When I contact the store, the owner expresses surprise that there is more than one TSR product in existance -- tells me that she posted the item by ISBN on Amazon, and ISBN never lies.  Asks me if I'm sure that the Jungle of Chult isn't mentioned somewhere inside?

I take my lumps.  A learning lesson like that is worth five dollars in my book.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:51 pm 

You need to be patient (and, perhaps, check auctions for it more frequently) - later 2nd edition "black" cover stuff can be hard to find, but it will come up sooner or later (I can virtually guarantee we will see a few copies on ebay within 1 months time).  

It shouldn't even cost you that much ($5-$9 plus shipping).

Trust me.  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:03 pm 

Before I buy on amazon I always drop an email to the seller , just to make sure that everything is a-ok.  Most amazon sellers tend to be these crazy people who buy giant loads of crappy books from thrift stores and stuff hoping to make a quick buck with no effort, and they have NO knowledge of their products.  (no offense intended if you sell on Amazon, as I actually list some of my product there too, but I've seen the bad side)

As an aside, you can sometimes find great deals there too, for the same reason of the sellers not knowing their product.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:06 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:You need to be patient

Yup.  Patience I have.  Just struck me as odd that as this is one of my last dozen outstanding items.  Not having a copy of the woodgrain set does not strike me as odd; just parsimonious.  My missing copy of the walled city geomorphs, the same.  Paying over a hundred bucks for a copy of H1 last week because I'm sick to death of searching it on e-bay, forgetting to specify North America only, and seeing Cougarrinards eternal (reserve not met) auction?  Unfortunate, but worth it.

But Treasure Tales?  Doesn't quite seem to be in the league of a Wild Things, you know?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:09 pm 

Yama-Arashi wrote:My missing copy of the walled city geomorphs

aside: The third print currently up is hidden for a good reason.

(Just in case anyone reading this might be interested)

=
*reads the above & hides my H1* :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:14 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Yama-Arashi wrote:My missing copy of the walled city geomorphs

=

Are you saying there is a Outdoor Geos on EBay right now. If so please point me in the right direction. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:17 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

=

Are you saying there is a Outdoor Geos on EBay right now. If so please point me in the right direction. :)

No, he's not.  Please move along...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Are you saying there is a Outdoor Geos on EBay right now. If so please point me in the right direction. :)

How difficult can that be to find? :roll: (sorry, fluffs)

Their "accessories are in excellent condition with only minor wear" quote is totally untrue in this case, alas. (Worth having, perhaps, but I'd recommend their pics first- all four megs worth of them!)

Next