Module & Magazine Storage Materials
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:48 am 

I was wondering if anyone might be willing to let me know where they buy their storage materials (for modules, magazines and the like) and compare their prices to the site I found. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Magazine And Comic Book Supplies

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:41 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

He's good and reasonably priced.

moron with money

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:56 pm 

Those prices kick butt compared to what it cost up in the frozen north. 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:05 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Those prices kick butt compared to what it cost up in the frozen north. 8O

To saying nothing of the merely cool and damp north...

Yeah, have seen their auctions several times and wished they weren't strictly U.S. only.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:25 pm 

Yes, that's the source I buy my bags/boards from (thanks to the previous recommendation above), and they are good.  The seller is nice too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:50 pm 

I usually use this guy:

Magazine Bags 100: Storage Supplies | eBay

It seems that he is currently out of backing boards right now, but he usually has those as well.. When he has them, he offers sets of backing boards and the bags for $11.00 plus a flat $7.75 USPS Priority shipping. He always ships right away(no more than a day or 2 after the purchase). Good Seller. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:52 pm 

Which size works best for D&D modules, including the thicker supermodules?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:37 pm 

The largest size magazine bag is a THICK 8 7/8" one (like what bclarkie just showed in his previous post).  

I just got this yesterday as a matter-of-fact:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Shipping was $14, so figure I paid $37.76 for 1,000 bags shipped.

(I used to use benny-netusa, but I decided to up my volume of bags and I went with someone else.).   Comic zone still has great deals on sheet music bags, which fit all your hardcover books (even the bigs ones like Monstrous Manual, Werewolf the Apocalypse, etc.).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:10 pm 

I had a question I thought someone on the Forum could answer. I picked up a module from Britain some time ago and it came in the plastic envelope seen here:

It is the British A4 size (holds 8.75"x11.5" sizes). As you will note, it has a flap and a strap on the top of the pocket. The advantage here is no tape is required. I'm sure I'm not the first one to open a module where someone has sealed the flap with a couple of pieces of scotch tape and have the tape get stuck to the module or something else while you're trying to put the module back or take it out.

If someone coould suggest a vendor for these stoarge envelopes I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:11 am 

Looking to organise my stuff at last and get it into some 'standard' boxes (my ideal would be to have everything on bookshelves in the living room but it's just never going to happen!).

I've been doing some research and I think the best way to go is comic boxes, which seem to be strong end stackable enough for my requirements. Standard 'magazine' size ones would seem to be fine for books, magazines and modules but what about for boxed sets?

Does anyone use comic boxes for their collection and what. if any, recomendations would they make.

The only requirements are that they are (reasonably) affordable, stackable and look 'standard' - If I can't display the collection I at least want to have it look as neat and organised as possible.

Any input appreciated (as well as links to the best deals available in the UK!)

Cheers in advance

Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:06 am 

I use comic/magazine boxes for pretty much everything. They stack well, are durable, and they don't look too bad either. They're great for indexing if you use labeled dividers. It's the only way I can keep track of everything.

For D&D though, only the magazine size boxes will work since the modules/books are larger than even silver age comics.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:55 pm 

The links above have expirired.  Could someone help me out and post a link to somewhere online I can get good bags and boards to start storing my collection properly.

Thanks in advance

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:02 pm 

Sardan wrote:The links above have expirired.  Could someone help me out and post a link to somewhere online I can get good bags and boards to start storing my collection properly.

Thanks in advance

Bags Unlimited is a good start:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 pm 

You don't want to know how I store stuff because its not "stored" per se. Its just.... umm, yeah. Accessible. Course, everything I own, I own to use it, not keep it away. But, umm, for modules, I find that a little cardboard (cut up some boxes from the stuff you buy that people ship to you) and plastic magazine holders are great. One on each side, one or two to separate modules here and there, and they last well. No bending, no folding, no curving... at least, not for me. Pretty cheap too.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:26 pm 

This is more along the lines of "display" rather than "storage", but could be used to make an interesting DIY display for a collection:

Rain Gutter Bookshelves

Ignore the child & kid's books & imagine a row of monochrome modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 am 

Thanks guys, I am in the Uk and a little unsure as to what sizes I should be ordering for the bags and boards (Are they standard US sizes?).

What size bags should I order from bagsunlimited??

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:39 pm 

Sardan wrote:Thanks guys, I am in the Uk and a little unsure as to what sizes I should be ordering for the bags and boards (Are they standard US sizes?).

You'll blackout when you see the shipping costs of any of this stuff from the States. I put in an order for $220 and the shipping (low priority) came to $181. Ridiculous.

I've just got a catalogue from Just Comics

Like yourself I'm a little confused as to what fits what but I gather you need a magazine size sleeve for modules and music sheet size for HB rulebooks. Somebody dive in and correct me if I'm wrong please.

Here's the latest pricing:

Collectorline
Plastic bags (Mag/UK Marvel) - £3.50 for 100
Mylar (not sure on size) £7 for 10 or £75 for 100
Boards (mag) £8 for 50
Mag box £28 for 5

Shipping is £11 on orders <£100
£15 < £200
£20 >£200

Just Comics, 65 Station Road, Warboys, Huntingdon, Cambs PE28 2TH
No phone - guess they don't want to be disturbed.[/b]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:07 pm 

Sardan wrote:Thanks guys, I am in the Uk and a little unsure as to what sizes I should be ordering for the bags and boards (Are they standard US sizes?).

"Magazine bags" will fit any typical module or rpg booklet, from the past all the way to the present.   A little larger (say, 8 7/8 by 11 1/8  will fit the items that are just a bit thicker (larger MERP stuff, Atlas of FR/Dragonlance, super modules).  RPG sized bags (10x13) will hold a hardback or a small boxed set.  Life magazine sized bags will comfortably hold a typical boxed set.  Remember, always get a flap if you can, and 3 mil thickness (2 mil is fine, but it crinkles and wears out faster...)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next