Original TSR "low impact" dice (?)
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:42 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'm still on the lookout for a set of these.

The sets I have (which I now have to look for to validate that I do in fact have them here in CA to sell) are identical, save that they're in bags sans GW labels.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:27 am 

I still have the eight, twelve and four sided die from my first 1978 set.  Talk about round -- there isn't an edge left on the things.   *ah*  good times, good times...

I do remember having to roll the six-sided along with the double-ten sided, which would often lead to accusations of cheating amongst our group of 8 and 9 year old boys.  Then one amongst us made the breakthrough -- he scraped out the black numbers on one side of the die and repainted them in red.  The red became the teens (red for blood!), the black remained single digits.  We were in awe of his superior D&D-fu and rushed to imitate.

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:42 am 

harami2000 wrote:...but how many doctored dice have you seen with two 17s or 18s? ;)

Guilty as charged. :oops: Not that it seemed to do any good. I think that particular poly was naturally weighted towards the low numbers. :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:41 pm 

My grade school (in the early 80's) had dozens of the blue twelve-sided dice.    They were used for some educational math game, I think.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:32 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
bbarsh wrote:I remember being at a Gencon ad&d open and rolling to hit and DM telling me I couldn't roll that way. He insisted I use a numbered d20 thinking I was somehow scamming him.

I *hate* when players do that these days. The problem is that I've run into too many players who do try to scam the DM with that rolling method, by alternating what was high and low at random, hoping to catch the DM unawares and thus better able to pick a result...

Of course, that's not as ballsy as the guy who thought he could roll his dice in his briefcase and not let me see the results... oy, the nerve of some players...

Ah ha, I knew there would be one you "haters" in the crowd.

Check out page 46 in the "Holmes" blue book or the chit sheet in the same book  (depending on which printing you have). The d6/d20 system is the only method for rolling 1-20.

There is no alternating high and low on the d6 - it is constant. There will always be dice cheaters, but don't hate the system. :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:...but how many doctored dice have you seen with two 17s or 18s? ;)

Guilty as charged. :oops: Not that it seemed to do any good. I think that particular poly was naturally weighted towards the low numbers. :(

I was looking through the 1E DMG the other night, and noticed that Gygax specifically teaches this trick to DMs. It's in the section on gambling/dice games, and it's to give an extra house advantage to a disreputable gambling parlor. :twisted:

By the way, anyone know who coined the term "low-impact dice" or at least when it came into fashion - is it something old or relatively new?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:16 pm 

zhowar1 wrote: By the way, anyone know who coined the term "low-impact dice" or at least when it came into fashion - is it something old or relatively new?

I don't know, but would guess the term didn't exist until the term "high impact dice" arose, and had its genesis as a matter of contrast.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:54 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
zhowar1 wrote: By the way, anyone know who coined the term "low-impact dice" or at least when it came into fashion - is it something old or relatively new?

I don't know, but would guess the term didn't exist until the term "high impact dice" arose, and had its genesis as a matter of contrast.

:D

Okay, I'm dense.

I will plead ignorance of the term "high impact dice" though! Or maybe it's my Swiss cheese memory.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:25 am 

i had a set of red color dice from the early 80's basic set that  had the corners worn down from so much playing!!!---they were the greatest dice i ever owned but i don't think they were as soft as the "low impact dice" --left those behind when i left NJ and haven't seen'em in over a decade ---i wonder if mom threw them out? :?:

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Previous