Original TSR "low impact" dice (?)
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:55 pm 

Ok, just received the dice and dice bags from this auction I won from Noble Knight games.  Included was "a set of original TSR "low impact" dice sealed in there original bag!! Retail unknown. This set includes a d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20."

I've never seen an original set of TSR dice before and was wondering if they all looked this "rough" (production wise, they look very crude), and it appears as if the numbers were hand inked with one of those dice pen markers.

Here's the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:11 pm 

I thought you were an old school gamer, M. 8O

We played with those damn thing exclusively back in the day. I still have my original set. The d20s (pink and white) are nearly perfectly round and will roll and roll and roll...

Even my d8 and the rarely used d12 have way rounded edges. I've got about five or six sets in my dice box. To this day, they are my favorite.

And yes, they are extremely low tech. I was never a big fan of the crystal dice.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:21 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I thought you were an old school gamer, M. 8O

We played with those damn thing exclusively back in the day. I still have my original set. The d20s (pink and white) are nearly perfectly round and will roll and roll and roll...

Even my d8 and the rarely used d12 have way rounded edges. I've got about five or six sets in my dice box. To this day, they are my favorite.

And yes, they are extremely low tech. I was never a big fan of the crystal dice.

Hehe, I didn't start gaming until 1986!!  I was probably two when these dice were made, lol  8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:40 pm 

[/quote]Hehe, I didn't start gaming until 1986!! I was probably two when these dice were made, lol 8O[/quote]

Crap. I'm feeling kinda old now 8O  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:01 pm 

I'm still on the lookout for a set of these. I never had my own set when I started playing. I was in Germany and things were hard to get a hold of.

So there was no D10?

Was there a D20 percentile?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'm still on the lookout for a set of these. I never had my own set when I started playing. I was in Germany and things were hard to get a hold of.

So there was no D10?

Was there a D20 percentile?

D20 actually had 2 sets of 0 through 9. You had to marke them on your own. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:14 pm 

Once again, take a look at this thread.  Particularly the image...

original dice resources?

The d20s had 0-9 twice.  So, you had to ink them different colours (black 1-10 and red 11-20 being the colours of choice).

As for percentile dice, I remember that the white/pink combination of d20s seemed to be what many people had.  I presume that they were marketed as such.

I also remember that my first set was completely uninked.  Not only did you have to ink them yourself.  But you often had to scratch out the numbers with the point of a compass for the paint/ink to take.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:D20 actually had 2 sets of 0 through 9. You had to marke them on your own. :)

With a darker shade of black for the 10s? Image

Oops, sorry, I forgot to warn John to avert his eyes.... :oops:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:16 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Oops, sorry, I forgot to warn John to avert his eyes.... :oops:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Where....How....Who???

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Oops, sorry, I forgot to warn John to avert his eyes.... :oops:

Where....How....Who???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5230561833

(I do hope that wasn't an averse reaction to unused dice? Image)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:

Where....How....Who???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5230561833

(I do hope that wasn't an averse reaction to unused dice? [ Image ])

In this case, no.  I love the GW tag.  Don't remember them at all.

And the auction Q&A states 4xpolys.  Is that true?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:44 pm 

johnhuck wrote:In this case, no. I love the GW tag. Don't remember them at all.

First one I'd seen, too. :o
Presume they just threw in some tagged sets as-and-when required.

Anyhow; that dice crayon lark started later.

johnhuck wrote:And the auction Q&A states 4xpolys. Is that true?

Unfortunately not four sets, just a seller who can't count... :(
('Twas a good enough bargain as it stood, I think).

That particular GW Basic box does a bit of a hatchet job of the current Acaeum listing.
Aside from the variant dice set, it's a 3rd+ (unpriced catalog on the back of the rulebook, but does have a WD subscription form).
And the WD form indicates a 1979 date (not "1978?") since the issues illustrated are #13 and #14 (June/July and Aug/Sep 1979)... I doubt they had cover mock-ups that far in advance. :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:54 pm 

muaddib5 wrote:Hehe, I didn't start gaming until 1986!! I was probably two when these dice were made, lol 8O

:P
Amazing what difference a few years makes... ;)

Don't see many sets of dice still sealed in their original bag. (Useful research material in that context. *g*)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:07 pm 

The standard bagged set included the five dice that harami so gleefully illustrated. However, you could also purchase the percentile set which was the white 20 sided and a pink one to go with it.

As it looks, each dice has 0-9 twice. There was no 1-20 per se.

To generate 1-20 you had to roll two dice: a six sider and a 20 sider. The result of the 20 was constant, but the d6 generated you "first" digit - 1-3 = 0 and 4 - 6 = "10". You rolled the dice together just like you would roll 2-12 or whatever.

Example: Roll to hit d6 = 3, d20 = 7  Result is a 7
              Roll to hit d6 = 6, d20 = 8 Result is an 18
To further confuse: d6 = 4, d20 = 0 Result is a 20

I am sorry if some of you old timers are bored with this lame explaination, but I forget that a whole bunch of people have no idea how it works.

I remember being at a Gencon ad&d open and rolling to hit and DM telling me I couldn't roll that way. He insisted I use a numbered d20 thinking I was somehow scamming him.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:16 pm 

bbarsh wrote:The standard bagged set included the five dice that harami so gleefully illustrated. However, you could also purchase the percentile set which was the white 20 sided and a pink one to go with it.

As it looks, each dice has 0-9 twice. There was no 1-20 per se.

To generate 1-20 you had to roll two dice: a six sider and a 20 sider. The result of the 20 was constant, but the d6 generated you "first" digit - 1-3 = 0 and 4 - 6 = "10". You rolled the dice together just like you would roll 2-12 or whatever.

Example: Roll to hit d6 = 3, d20 = 7 Result is a 7
       Roll to hit d6 = 6, d20 = 8 Result is an 18
To further confuse: d6 = 4, d20 = 0 Result is a 20

I am sorry if some of you old timers are bored with this lame explaination, but I forget that a whole bunch of people have no idea how it works.

I remember being at a Gencon ad&d open and rolling to hit and DM telling me I couldn't roll that way. He insisted I use a numbered d20 thinking I was somehow scamming him.

Actually, the set that I inherited from my older brother, was done a little bit differently.  He actually took some red nail polish and marked 1 of each number with a small red dot.  The red dot signified 11, 12, 13, 14, etc.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:10 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Actually, the set that I inherited from my older brother, was done a little bit differently. He actually took some red nail polish and marked 1 of each number with a small red dot. The red dot signified 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. :)

Hopefully he did indeed take that nail polish! :P

Yeah, tricks like that worked fairly well, but how many doctored dice have you seen with two 17s or 18s? ;)

bbarsh wrote:The standard bagged set included the five dice that harami so gleefully illustrated.

Gleeful? Well, OK, maybe just a little... :oops:

aside: It looks like GW may have re-bagged those (or bagged them for the first time), since I can't see any obvious seal at the top of the poly, under the GW hanger card. I'm not removing the staples to double check, though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Once again, take a look at this thread. Particularly the image...

original dice resources?

The d20s had 0-9 twice. So, you had to ink them different colours (black 1-10 and red 11-20 being the colours of choice).

As for percentile dice, I remember that the white/pink combination of d20s seemed to be what many people had. I presume that they were marketed as such.

I also remember that my first set was completely uninked. Not only did you have to ink them yourself. But you often had to scratch out the numbers with the point of a compass for the paint/ink to take.

That set looks almost exactly like the set I've got  :D .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:26 am 

bbarsh wrote:I remember being at a Gencon ad&d open and rolling to hit and DM telling me I couldn't roll that way. He insisted I use a numbered d20 thinking I was somehow scamming him.

I *hate* when players do that these days. The problem is that I've run into too many players who do try to scam the DM with that rolling method, by alternating what was high and low at random, hoping to catch the DM unawares and thus better able to pick a result...

Of course, that's not as ballsy as the guy who thought he could roll his dice in his briefcase and not let me see the results... oy, the nerve of some players...

Next