New Dungeons & Dragons movie
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:55 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Yeah, but Star Trek sucked after NG, especially the Voyager series. Female captains don't cut it. We'd be going to war with the Romulans at the end of every month.
"I don't care if they lowered their shields, fire all phasers! And get me some chocolate now!"
Dragonlance would be it, but I'm sure Follywood would screw up the cast. Hasslehoff as Tasslehoff, that kind of thing.

I would not go as far as saying the lines sucked after NG. The story ideas in DS9 were good though not well executed and mixed in with stories that seems out of sequence.

I have a hard time beating up on Voyager though I do think Kate Mulgrew was a lousy choice. She is like that High School principal who only got the job because she was the woman who was most like a man. On the other hand it did give us Kess, Seven and B'Elanna (nice crew to be stuck a gazillion miles from home with). It also gave us, after the Borg arc in NG ,what I think is one of the best story arcs of the series...The Year of Hell 1 & 2...link below.

Now as to Enterprise I can only say what were they thinking. It is almost as if they were tired of having Star Trel shows on TV so they put in a ringer to kill the franchise. It was hard to reconcile ships looking as futuristic as that from a period before TOS. Needed to go really retro or not do a prequel IMO.

Still none of them even the NG (pains me to say that) were as good as B5.

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 4, Episode 8: Year Of Hell (1) - TV.com

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:49 pm 

I think I am going to disagree with several of you guys. I do think a movie with a little known cast can succeed. It happens all the time. Problem is that it has to be a great story with excellent dialogue - not something that comes out of Hollywood with any regularity. Think Star Wars - none of those actors were big names (except AG).

I also think you need to stay away from existing AD&D stuff - other than campaign setting. Use Greyhawk if only for reference and backstory stuff. Do not reinvent the wheel.

I am also sticking to my guns with novice characters (1st level). It just makes everything easier to digest for nonD&D watchers. It also  must be party-based. Forget the Drizzt thing.

The story must be based on adventure and have a "problem" that must be solved. This gets the viewers involved and hopefully gets them attached to the story and the characters. With a standard size party you can reach out to various viewers who like different characters for different reasons.

We do not need lengthy character development or megolithic villians, but you do need good villians that audiences will love to hate and see sliced or blasted by a magic missile.

Then there is setting. Make it look interesting or have an exotic locale. That will make the move "feel" more like an adventure. Jungle, desert whatever - but no damn castle in middle europe, please.

The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Now these are just random thoughts, so I am not claiming the high ground anywhere. I just think a D&D movie needs to start at the roots of D&D.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:41 am 

bbarsh wrote:no damn castle in middle europe, please.

bbarsh wrote:The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Blasphemer!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
http://www.dungeonsdeepdesigns.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:41 am 

To start out you will need to get some art house director with enough money and clout to back a lower budget movie with limited special effects. Next you hold open audtions not for actors but for role players. You might even use one of hte opens at GenCon or something. You grade the players not on performance but alos on role playing. Once you have selected say a party of six you take a classic intro module....one of the B series perhaps....and run them through it. Letting htem know as much as possible they stay in character. They video tape it (no not another Gamers DVD) and then have script writers convert it over. You then hire actors or if they are good enough you could use the role players. I can not think of a better way to capture the feel of D&D more so than actually capturing it.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:19 pm 

Bbarsh and I are 100% in agreement. Do it right or don't do it at all.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:21 pm 

DnDGeek wrote:
bbarsh wrote:no damn castle in middle europe, please.

bbarsh wrote:The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Blasphemer!

Sorry, I did not intend to offend you Dragonslayer lovers out there...Oh wait minute, yes I did.

That movie blows dog. Did then and still does today.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:25 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Sorry, I did not intend to offend you Dragonslayer lovers out there...Oh wait minute, yes I did.

That movie blows dog. Did then and still does today.

bah :) i quite liked dragonslayer, as well as krull, hawk the slayer and all the others :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 pm 

Well, I hear that Peter Jackson is making a movie version of WG6 Isle of the Ape.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:28 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Well, I hear that Peter Jackson is making a movie version of WG6 Isle of the Ape. :D

:lol:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:29 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Well, I hear that Peter Jackson is making a movie version of WG6 Isle of the Ape. :D

yeha and apparently he's already gone way over budget :)

what do y'all think its gonna be like...any good?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:55 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:what do y'all think its gonna be like...any good?

That's really hard to say. I saw a trailer a few months back and the F/X seemed very much like his LOTR movies (no surprise there), but if I remember correctly they didn't really show the big ape.

Also, how can it possibly be better than the 1963 King Kong vs Godzilla?  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 pm 

I have a feeling he is going to do a great job with it. I have seen some screen shots and they look very good. I just want him to get done with King Kong and get rolling on The Hobbit.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:16 pm 

pleveich wrote:I have a feeling he is going to do a great job with it. I have seen some screen shots and they look very good. I just want him to get done with King Kong and get rolling on The Hobbit.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

i will prb go watch it but it prb wont do anything for me i have to say. no doubt with all the WETA amazingness, it will be pretty damn impressive to behold, but a true classic? nah i dont think so.

i am looking forward to the hobbit more than i was LOTR i have to say :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:58 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:I should rephrase what I said earlier. I think that Drizz't would be the best idea for making a movie and the most likely to be done (with the possibility of still being done fairly well). I am not a particular fan of Drizz't (I can't even remember how to spell his damn name), but I am trying to think like a movie producer would . . .

That was my point also.  This subject has the best chance of being made into a quality feature instead of a straight to video B-grade travesty.  Not a huge fan of the novels, but it does have a gigantic fan base and that by itself is a drawing point for a producer.

Mike B.

Previous