New Dungeons & Dragons movie
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:38 am 

Mike, that's the best I've heard so far for a movie.  In fact, after reading your post I can hardly believe it hasn't been on the screen yet.  

Somebody must be paying attention somewhere . . . look how many piece of shit Marvel comics movies were (and are) made before they get it right with both Spider-Man films.  And now Marvel and Hollywood are rolling in the profits!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:23 am 

yeah i quite liked the drizzt novels - tho i personally feel the older ones (exile, sojourn etc) are better than the very recent ones. i also liked the icewind dale books - there is a dragon encounter there too in the glacier, which would go down cool imo.

but yeah, a very popular series and could go down well.

still like S1 as a one-off tho.

would love for someone to do a TV series tho - considering some of the pap that is out there, i still cannot believe that it hasnt been done.

but hey you can always live in hope

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:34 am 

This is an update for those who haven't heard already. And only slightly off topic.

Have you read the book Eragon?  High Fantasy written by the young Christopher Paolini. I think he was 12 when he wrote it.  Not that bad of a story but I felt, at times, that it was a 12 year old writting it.

Anyway.  I was going through one of the Television/Film trade magazines and I came across a spread advertising the film adeptation of the book.  Due out December 15th, 2006.  20th Century Fox. Directed by Steffen Fangmeier who is making his directorial debut.  He is known as a visual effects guy and supervised VE on many movies some great.  Including Saving Private Ryan.  

And guess who is in it?  Yes!  Jeremy Irons. 8O   I guess he just couldn't wait for another fantasy movie to ruin.  Also featuring John Malkovich.   Hmmm. :? I don't recognize the other cast members but the pull out poster with the entire cast is very cool.

At first I thought it was a TV series but now i realize it is a movie.

Well I will let you all be the judges.

Here is the website for the movie.   20th Century Fox

Enjoy!   Or not.

Pete

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:24 pm 

Sigh.  Why, why in God's name would they want to torure innocent people who haven't hurt anyone, with another travesty such as this?  Unless they make a movie as funny as "Mazes and  Monsters" (gotta love all that big hair and plaid shirt-hoe-down goodness), or decide to take it as seriously as Jackson did with LOTR, it's bound to be a waste of time.

" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!  My life is my own"- The Prisoner

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:08 am 

I think making a movie about Drizzt would defeat the purpose. There have been plenty of fantasy movies done about solo heroes, even if he has sidekicks. Personally I always found the Drizzt series pretty much run-of-the-mill, smacking too much of 3E. A good Drow who sunbathes and wields +27 holy vorpal flaming swords of allslaying.........
A truly good D&D movie would be party-based.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:19 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:A truly good D&D movie would be party-based.

*nods in agreement* i enjoy concepts that are based more around a group than an individual. would be more interesting too.

S2 would still rock :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:29 am 

I should rephrase what I said earlier.  I think that Drizz't would be the best idea for making a movie and the most likely to be done (with the possibility of still being done fairly well).  I am not a particular fan of Drizz't (I can't even remember how to spell his damn name), but I am trying to think like a movie producer would . . .

The party adventurer idea . . . best suited to a TV show.  

Drizz't and company is an idea that could feasibly come to the big screen someday (don't forget about Elminster too!)

The no name party of low level adventurers is never going to get a movie deal . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am 

Agreed, hence why I said it would never be done.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:52 am 

Well, Drizz't would be a logical choice to base a film around, that is if you were just trying to interest the younger generation of rpg players, or I should say most recent players.  I think a far more viable choice would be to do something with the Dragonlance franchise.  The first trilogy (Chronicles) would work very well, being similar in set up to Tolkien, and vast oppourtunities for special effects.  Added to which, the books have been around longer, and more people, I believe, from the non gaming community have had more exposure to DL than any other form of rpg products.  And it does follow the classic group adventure, although it does fragment somewhat, much like LOTR, which as we all know , was highly successful.

" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!  My life is my own"- The Prisoner

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:59 am 

Dragonlance would be an excellent candidate for a trilogy.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:13 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Dragonlance would be an excellent candidate for a trilogy.

Hell this could be a series..and when one Age has been done to death, another can be started up (sort of like how Star Trek had its various incarnations...plus with movies coming out should the series take off)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:26 pm 

Yeah, but Star Trek sucked after NG, especially the Voyager series. Female captains don't cut it. We'd be going to war with the Romulans at the end of every month.
"I don't care if they lowered their shields, fire all phasers! And get me some chocolate now!"
Dragonlance would be it, but I'm sure Follywood would screw up the cast. Hasslehoff as Tasslehoff, that kind of thing.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:55 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Yeah, but Star Trek sucked after NG, especially the Voyager series. Female captains don't cut it. We'd be going to war with the Romulans at the end of every month.
"I don't care if they lowered their shields, fire all phasers! And get me some chocolate now!"
Dragonlance would be it, but I'm sure Follywood would screw up the cast. Hasslehoff as Tasslehoff, that kind of thing.

I would not go as far as saying the lines sucked after NG. The story ideas in DS9 were good though not well executed and mixed in with stories that seems out of sequence.

I have a hard time beating up on Voyager though I do think Kate Mulgrew was a lousy choice. She is like that High School principal who only got the job because she was the woman who was most like a man. On the other hand it did give us Kess, Seven and B'Elanna (nice crew to be stuck a gazillion miles from home with). It also gave us, after the Borg arc in NG ,what I think is one of the best story arcs of the series...The Year of Hell 1 & 2...link below.

Now as to Enterprise I can only say what were they thinking. It is almost as if they were tired of having Star Trel shows on TV so they put in a ringer to kill the franchise. It was hard to reconcile ships looking as futuristic as that from a period before TOS. Needed to go really retro or not do a prequel IMO.

Still none of them even the NG (pains me to say that) were as good as B5.

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 4, Episode 8: Year Of Hell (1) - TV.com

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:49 pm 

I think I am going to disagree with several of you guys. I do think a movie with a little known cast can succeed. It happens all the time. Problem is that it has to be a great story with excellent dialogue - not something that comes out of Hollywood with any regularity. Think Star Wars - none of those actors were big names (except AG).

I also think you need to stay away from existing AD&D stuff - other than campaign setting. Use Greyhawk if only for reference and backstory stuff. Do not reinvent the wheel.

I am also sticking to my guns with novice characters (1st level). It just makes everything easier to digest for nonD&D watchers. It also  must be party-based. Forget the Drizzt thing.

The story must be based on adventure and have a "problem" that must be solved. This gets the viewers involved and hopefully gets them attached to the story and the characters. With a standard size party you can reach out to various viewers who like different characters for different reasons.

We do not need lengthy character development or megolithic villians, but you do need good villians that audiences will love to hate and see sliced or blasted by a magic missile.

Then there is setting. Make it look interesting or have an exotic locale. That will make the move "feel" more like an adventure. Jungle, desert whatever - but no damn castle in middle europe, please.

The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Now these are just random thoughts, so I am not claiming the high ground anywhere. I just think a D&D movie needs to start at the roots of D&D.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:41 am 

bbarsh wrote:no damn castle in middle europe, please.

bbarsh wrote:The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Blasphemer!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
http://www.dungeonsdeepdesigns.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:41 am 

To start out you will need to get some art house director with enough money and clout to back a lower budget movie with limited special effects. Next you hold open audtions not for actors but for role players. You might even use one of hte opens at GenCon or something. You grade the players not on performance but alos on role playing. Once you have selected say a party of six you take a classic intro module....one of the B series perhaps....and run them through it. Letting htem know as much as possible they stay in character. They video tape it (no not another Gamers DVD) and then have script writers convert it over. You then hire actors or if they are good enough you could use the role players. I can not think of a better way to capture the feel of D&D more so than actually capturing it.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:19 pm 

Bbarsh and I are 100% in agreement. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:21 pm 

DnDGeek wrote:
bbarsh wrote:no damn castle in middle europe, please.

bbarsh wrote:The key is not to make a classic fantasy, middle ages type movie. They are boring and suck i.e. Dragonslayer.

Blasphemer!

Sorry, I did not intend to offend you Dragonslayer lovers out there...Oh wait minute, yes I did.

That movie blows dog. Did then and still does today.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext