New Dungeons & Dragons movie
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:52 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:The series is almost a copy of what I said. Minor adversaries at first, leading up to Tharizdun. He doesn't really get romance until near the end, although he does tag a few does along the way.

good one off's would be S3 or even S2

S3 would work to a pretty good film imo. nice mix of past and future involved

and i certainly think D1-2-3 would seriously rock...even S1 would prb make a cool one-off film

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:28 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:The series is almost a copy of what I said. Minor adversaries at first, leading up to Tharizdun. He doesn't really get romance until near the end, although he does tag a few does along the way.

good one off's would be S3 or even S2

S3 would work to a pretty good film imo. nice mix of past and future involved

and i certainly think D1-2-3 would seriously rock...even S1 would prb make a cool one-off film

Tomb of Horrors could be an incredible movie, if, and only if, the first set of adventurers all die horribly.  I envision the low rumble of many six-sided dice pencil scratching immediately afterward, and a "two weeks later" fade-in... :)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:40 am 

The Gord the Rogue idea is a good one and I think that would be the best suited to becoming a movie (admittedly, I haven't read too many D&D novels others than the Gord books though . . . )

What would really be ideal is a TV series . . . 1 hour shows throughout a season.  Look at all the awesome episodes of Babylon 5 and Star Trek TNG there are.  Some episodes would have minor encounters, dungeons, discoveries of magic items, the young wizard could seek a master, the priests given a quest and the season could really follow a low level group as they advanced.

Next season:  A little higher level, more magic, a little more power, etc.

Some episodes can be used towards furthering an overall goal or ultimate bad-guy and some episodes are one shot deals.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer actually did a good job of this - the characters and bit players in episodes were never forgotten and could turn up at any time later.  There was a great sense of continuity and character/relationship development.  Not every episode furthered the season's plot . . . but there always was one that grew and kept you hungering for the climax.

With a movie, they would be forced to try and cram as much into a 2-3 hour story as possible.  All the little details and small quests that make D&D fun would be left out.

Sci-fi channel should be looking at something like that (and no comedy in the show!!!!!).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:49 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:The Gord the Rogue idea is a good one and I think that would be the best suited to becoming a movie (admittedly, I haven't read too many D&D novels others than the Gord books though . . . )

What would really be ideal is a TV series . . . 1 hour shows throughout a season. Look at all the awesome episodes of Babylon 5 and Star Trek TNG there are. Some episodes would have minor encounters, dungeons, discoveries of magic items, the young wizard could seek a master, the priests given a quest and the season could really follow a low level group as they advanced.

Next season: A little higher level, more magic, a little more power, etc.

Some episodes can be used towards furthering an overall goal or ultimate bad-guy and some episodes are one shot deals. Buffy the Vampire Slayer actually did a good job of this - the characters and bit players in episodes were never forgotten and could turn up at any time later. There was a great sense of continuity and character/relationship development. Not every episode furthered the season's plot . . . but there always was one that grew and kept you hungering for the climax.

With a movie, they would be forced to try and cram as much into a 2-3 hour story as possible. All the little details and small quests that make D&D fun would be left out.

Sci-fi channel should be looking at something like that (and no comedy in the show!!!!!).

The TV idea is even better for the Gord line. They could then dedicate a lot more time to the character development and allow him to grow into his abilities. The Sci-Fi channel can do TV shows right. Just look at the new BSG. I like the idea of a B5 type of story arch where the entire series is written before it even begins. I have to admitt after watching B5 with its continuity going back to the Trek series of shows was kind of tuff. Since they knew where they were going the plot devices always seemed a lot less contrived. It might just be JMS's writing was just that much better.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:13 am 

Tomb of Horrors could be an incredible movie, if, and only if, the first set of adventurers all die horribly.  I envision the low rumble of many six-sided dice pencil scratching immediately afterward, and a "two weeks later" fade-in...

Tomb of Horrors would work quite well.  It has name recognition (anyone whose ever played D&D has pretty much heard about it), a nasty villain (Acerack)  and lots of room for messing around with (you could include some of the original dungeon but include whatever the writer/director wanted as foes/traps).  The DemiLich could have physical form to give it a nice bad ass final battle (I like the Paladin looking for redemption storyline, would work well here).
    I like the idea of sending the first guys in and having them get wiped out in the first hallway or so.  You could pitch it "Indiana Jones with Magic" or whatever to get the point across.  The DemiLich's tomb has an artifact needed for something, this gives you an out for a sequel, plus sets up motivation for your typical mismatched misfits to adventure with the requisite love intereste, humor duo, hidden past, one guy is a traitor, that sort of crap.  I think that would work if done right.
    But why are we fooling ourselves.  If a guy is looking to make a D&D movie and wants to get financial backing, he'd be crazy not to buy the rights to Salvatore's Drizzt line of books and go from there.  The name recognition is gigantic, the books have been on the best seller lists for 15 years.  The storyline has a hero with the required unrequited love/love triangle, he's hated and feared but deep down really a nice guy, he's an outcast who comes from a troubled background, he's got two badass scimitars that he can whirl around, he's visually arresting, etc.  He's got a ready made group in his sidekicks Wulfgar, Cattie, Regis, Bruenor, a nemesis/villain (more than one actually, there are the drow and the assassin Artemis, plus isn't there a demon there somewhere).  There's something like 20 books now to mine for plotlines and ideas (tons of potential for sequels).   It's really very hard for me to believe that someone dosn't own the rights to this (I'm sure someone does, Salvatore himself may for all I know, I bet anything he's either written a treatment at some time or been approached for one).  If I had to bet money on what the origins would be for the next D&D fantasy type movie (If one is ever made), I'd have to place everything on this series as it would definitely fill the bill.  If a guy walks into a meeting with a producer trying to get financing for a D&D movie and says it's based on something called Gord the Rogue (which has been out of print for almost 20 years) or something called Tomb of Horrors (ditto), they are going to have a long uphill battle.  However, if they present the idea of "Drizzt the Drow" and include the fact he's been around for 15 years, has had a dozen or so books on the New York Times top ten list, has some cool storyboards of the dark elf and his companions drawn by a major fantasy artist, plus they can coordinate the movie release with a brand new trilogy written by Salvatore at the same time to increase exposure, plus the fact that the crossover appeal is great (its not just D&D fans interested, it's fantasy fans in general and younger ones at that), of course toss in a few references to Jackson's Middle Earth "See, it's like Lord of the Rings underground with black guys!" or whatever, you might pique some interest.  If done right, this concept would make tons of dough I think (the most important consideration in Hollywood), besides being a passable fantasy movie if they did it right.  Of course, it would also lead to way, way too many power gaming 3rd ed munchkins trying to roll up their own mini-Drizzt for play in campaigns ("And I want to give him a Kewl as hell +5 curvy sword like Drizzt, that's way wicked!")............

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:36 am 

Badmike wrote:
Tomb of Horrors could be an incredible movie, if, and only if, the first set of adventurers all die horribly. I envision the low rumble of many six-sided dice pencil scratching immediately afterward, and a "two weeks later" fade-in...

Tomb of Horrors would work quite well. It has name recognition (anyone whose ever played D&D has pretty much heard about it), a nasty villain (Acerack) and lots of room for messing around with (you could include some of the original dungeon but include whatever the writer/director wanted as foes/traps). The DemiLich could have physical form to give it a nice bad ass final battle (I like the Paladin looking for redemption storyline, would work well here).

BTW, one of my best friends is an entertainment lawyer in Hollywood for soemthing like the last 20 years.  He's been friends with Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero) almost that long, and actually roomed with Black's best friend/assistant for two years before he was married.  He's known a lot of screenwriter/producer types during that time, and the reason the "pitch" scene in The Player is so funny is because that's pretty much EXACTLY how it's done there.  If you dont' go in with high concept/low budget talk and how it's "Indiana Jones crossed with Lord of the Rings and a dash of Road Warrior" or have a specific targeted popular actor for a certain part (whoever's on the cover of People or Us magazine the last few weeks) you'll get shown the door.  Most producers are moronic fools who don't read and trust the person pitching to break down the screenplay/idea into fragments a 4 year old could understand. It doesn't hurt to have someone with some clout interested, whether it be a director, screenwriter or actor, so maybe the solution is just to find someone in Hollywood that was a D&D geek at one time, it could be that easy, maybe Nick Cage rolled up a halfling fighter or two during the early 80's, or the Coen brothers once DM'd the G-series back in 1979, who knows.......
  Just got to laughing MAO thinking about my buddy and he'd pitch this to a producer...anything outside their general experience (living in LA is about it for most of them) completely baffles and puzzles them, it would be funny to be a fly on the wall and hear the questions they would ask about "what is Dragons and Dungeons or whatever" and having one of us have to patiently explain the entire concept of fantasy gaming... it would be so much easier just to name drop Lord of the Rings 50 or so times, which I'm sure anyone wanting to make a fantasy film has to do nowadays anyway.
    Anyway, the entire idea of a D&D movie that is decent someday may rely on a great pitch, combined with a popular idea and an influential director or actor backing the project.  If I had to put money on it happening someday that's why I'd pick the Drizzt idea, it's got an easier ride than some of the other concepts...

Mike B.                                    

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:38 am 

Mike, that's the best I've heard so far for a movie.  In fact, after reading your post I can hardly believe it hasn't been on the screen yet.  

Somebody must be paying attention somewhere . . . look how many piece of shit Marvel comics movies were (and are) made before they get it right with both Spider-Man films.  And now Marvel and Hollywood are rolling in the profits!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:23 am 

yeah i quite liked the drizzt novels - tho i personally feel the older ones (exile, sojourn etc) are better than the very recent ones. i also liked the icewind dale books - there is a dragon encounter there too in the glacier, which would go down cool imo.

but yeah, a very popular series and could go down well.

still like S1 as a one-off tho.

would love for someone to do a TV series tho - considering some of the pap that is out there, i still cannot believe that it hasnt been done.

but hey you can always live in hope

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:34 am 

This is an update for those who haven't heard already. And only slightly off topic.

Have you read the book Eragon?  High Fantasy written by the young Christopher Paolini. I think he was 12 when he wrote it.  Not that bad of a story but I felt, at times, that it was a 12 year old writting it.

Anyway.  I was going through one of the Television/Film trade magazines and I came across a spread advertising the film adeptation of the book.  Due out December 15th, 2006.  20th Century Fox. Directed by Steffen Fangmeier who is making his directorial debut.  He is known as a visual effects guy and supervised VE on many movies some great.  Including Saving Private Ryan.  

And guess who is in it?  Yes!  Jeremy Irons. 8O   I guess he just couldn't wait for another fantasy movie to ruin.  Also featuring John Malkovich.   Hmmm. :? I don't recognize the other cast members but the pull out poster with the entire cast is very cool.

At first I thought it was a TV series but now i realize it is a movie.

Well I will let you all be the judges.

Here is the website for the movie.   20th Century Fox

Enjoy!   Or not.

Pete

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:24 pm 

Sigh.  Why, why in God's name would they want to torure innocent people who haven't hurt anyone, with another travesty such as this?  Unless they make a movie as funny as "Mazes and  Monsters" (gotta love all that big hair and plaid shirt-hoe-down goodness), or decide to take it as seriously as Jackson did with LOTR, it's bound to be a waste of time.

" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!  My life is my own"- The Prisoner

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:08 am 

I think making a movie about Drizzt would defeat the purpose. There have been plenty of fantasy movies done about solo heroes, even if he has sidekicks. Personally I always found the Drizzt series pretty much run-of-the-mill, smacking too much of 3E. A good Drow who sunbathes and wields +27 holy vorpal flaming swords of allslaying.........
A truly good D&D movie would be party-based.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:19 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:A truly good D&D movie would be party-based.

*nods in agreement* i enjoy concepts that are based more around a group than an individual. would be more interesting too.

S2 would still rock :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:29 am 

I should rephrase what I said earlier.  I think that Drizz't would be the best idea for making a movie and the most likely to be done (with the possibility of still being done fairly well).  I am not a particular fan of Drizz't (I can't even remember how to spell his damn name), but I am trying to think like a movie producer would . . .

The party adventurer idea . . . best suited to a TV show.  

Drizz't and company is an idea that could feasibly come to the big screen someday (don't forget about Elminster too!)

The no name party of low level adventurers is never going to get a movie deal . . .

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am 

Agreed, hence why I said it would never be done.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:52 am 

Well, Drizz't would be a logical choice to base a film around, that is if you were just trying to interest the younger generation of rpg players, or I should say most recent players.  I think a far more viable choice would be to do something with the Dragonlance franchise.  The first trilogy (Chronicles) would work very well, being similar in set up to Tolkien, and vast oppourtunities for special effects.  Added to which, the books have been around longer, and more people, I believe, from the non gaming community have had more exposure to DL than any other form of rpg products.  And it does follow the classic group adventure, although it does fragment somewhat, much like LOTR, which as we all know , was highly successful.

" I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!  My life is my own"- The Prisoner

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:59 am 

Dragonlance would be an excellent candidate for a trilogy.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:13 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Dragonlance would be an excellent candidate for a trilogy.

Hell this could be a series..and when one Age has been done to death, another can be started up (sort of like how Star Trek had its various incarnations...plus with movies coming out should the series take off)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:26 pm 

Yeah, but Star Trek sucked after NG, especially the Voyager series. Female captains don't cut it. We'd be going to war with the Romulans at the end of every month.
"I don't care if they lowered their shields, fire all phasers! And get me some chocolate now!"
Dragonlance would be it, but I'm sure Follywood would screw up the cast. Hasslehoff as Tasslehoff, that kind of thing.

PreviousNext