New Dungeons & Dragons movie
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:49 pm 

Here is a link to the Sci-Fi Channel's new D&D movie. It is on this Saturday night. Lets hope this one is better than the 1st movie.

Error 404: File Not Found: Sharktopus vs. Webpage...guess who won? | Syfy

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:05 pm 

Hey...was the first movie really all that bad  :twisted:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:16 pm 

Marlith wrote:Hey...was the first movie really all that bad :twisted:

In my unhumble opinion...it sucked...really bad.  :x

Check out this thread over on Dragonsfoot.  Pretty funny stuff.

Dragonsfoot • View topic - Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie II (Ack!)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:33 pm 

Uh, yeah. You did see it, right? :-D

Seriously, though, I put it in the category of good bad movies. Jeremy Irons was over-the-top hilarious, and the dude with the blue lipstick... all I have to say is my 13-year-old son's girlfriend has the same shade.

My first instinct, when I saw the ads for the new one, was "It can't be any worse than the original," but with Sci-Fi's track record for original movies, I'm not so sure.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:45 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:
Uh, yeah. You did see it, right? :-D

Seriously, though, I put it in the category of good bad movies. Jeremy Irons was over-the-top hilarious, and the dude with the blue lipstick... all I have to say is my 13-year-old son's girlfriend has the same shade.

We actually have a promotional item from the 1st movie. It is a stick of the blue lipstick with the movie logo on the side.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:54 pm 

Sarcasm  :wink: ...it was bad. The CGI was good enough...a story would have been nice....or at least one that did not suck.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:29 pm 

burntwire wrote:We actually have a promotional item from the 1st movie. It is a stick of the blue lipstick with the movie logo on the side.

I am sure you will look just lovely in your blue lipstick  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:18 pm 

Marlith wrote:

Sarcasm :wink: ...it was bad. The CGI was good enough...a story would have been nice....or at least one that did not suck.

oh yeah and what the hell was that dwarf all about.

and a thief that handles a sword better than a fighter does...er yeah ok.....

i remember taking the kids to the cinema to watch it. after 20 mins i said to jess "shall we sneak into another screen and watch something else" - i simply just couldnt believe what i was seeing.....a total dissappointment. so much material out there to exploit and they pick about the worst thing possible!

:)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:36 pm 

Rant:

I haven't seen the first one, and I never will.  The thought of a second makes me shudder in disgust.  There are already more than enough geniune, high-quality movies in the fantasy genre, without trying to kludge together an "official" one.  I just may have to go rent "Conan the Barbarian" again.

This is precisely what's wrong with modern roleplaying -- far too much emphasis on cinematics/special effects/flashy skills, not enough on substance/plot/development.  I don't blame the players, mind you, I blame the evil marketing drones.  (And the directors/authors just a little bit.)

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:45 pm 

LOL, I just had a read through the rest of the sci fi channel moves as well.. has any one seen "Legend of Earthsea" or "Riverworld" any good? jeez some of these look interesting  :roll: "A scientist and her Navy Captain ex-husband race to stop a fleet of attack subs from nuking an undersea colony of giant electric eels — which happen to be intelligent, alien and poised to hit back." god who thought of a stoy line like... and even more importanly who paid someone to think up a story line like that...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:18 pm 

IMHO, the only thing halfway decent about that first DUNGEONS & DRAGONS movie was Tom Baker's performance as the King of the Elves.

(For those of you who don't know or might not remember, Tom Baker is the actor best known for playing the Doctor in DOCTOR WHO for seven years, from 1974 to 1981; he was the one with the curly brown hair, big floppy hat and really long, multi-colored scarf.)

Mind you, he's also the sort of actor who can spout utter rubbish and make it sound utterly captivating...

His few minutes on screen easily put anyone else (with the possible exception of Richard O'Brien as the head of the thieves' guild) to shame.  I'm sure he thought it was boring rubbish, but it brought the overall quality of the movie up by a fraction.

Cheers,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:38 pm 

Steve Sullivan wrote:Page not found | Psychotronic Film Society

Finally, to top this review off, I asked the game's co-creator, Gary Gygax, to provide us with his opinion. Gary says: "Irons' acting, and that by the dwarf, were at least as questionable as the portrayal of the Empress by the gal who went to the Shatner School of Acting.

"Despite the apparent minuses of the production, the overall effect of the less-than-good-parts is a film that is greater, better, that it should be. In short, the enjoyment factor of the movie, D&D buffs aside, is higher than credited in other reviews." (Or in my review above, Gary adds.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:11 pm 

I don't get the Sci-Fi channel. At this point, I'm thinking that's probably a blessing, since I'd likely watch the movie otherwise.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:48 pm 

When all of the props for the 1st movie were auctioned off on eBay, did anybody else win one?    

Yes, yes I did win not only one, but two.   A staff and a map.   There, the monkey is off my back.    I feel . . . well, clean!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:35 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:LOL, I just had a read through the rest of the sci fi channel moves as well.. has any one seen "Legend of Earthsea" or "Riverworld" any good?

Brette:)

Earthsea was pretty good, until you read the book and wonder where the movie came from. Same story with Mists of Avalon. The movies, though well done on their own, bear little resemblance to the books.

Actually, though, after doing some research on the D&D movie, I found that the director actually acquired the rights 1990, at age 19, and spent 10 years getting funding for it. So, IMHO, the director's heart was in the right place, but I think incompetence on his and the writer's parts made the movie the awful experience it was. Of course, all this talk of it makes me want to see it again.

No, I'm not smokin' the cheap stuff.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:27 am 

I haven't seen Earthsea, but being a huge fan of the trilogy, and having seen the trailers, I am  making no plans to watch it. It is so obviously butchered, much the same as every book that Hollywood tries to make into a movie.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:49 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I haven't seen Earthsea, but being a huge fan of the trilogy, and having seen the trailers, I am making no plans to watch it. It is so obviously butchered, much the same as every book that Hollywood tries to make into a movie.

Hollywood does butcher most adaptations except for the Fellowship of the Ring. I know it would have been nice to see Tom Bombadil and the encounter with Old Man Willow and the Barrow Wrights but other than that it was as an accurate an adaptation as I could have hoped for. Not saying it was perfect but I was really happy with it. The second and third each took more and more liberties and had more and more ommissions. Still hands down it was a fine adapatation.

The Sci-Fi Channel adaptations of both Riverworld and Earthsea were not all that good. Their weekly, or at least it seems that often, movies are usually pretty bad. Now some cheesy sci-fi like the Roger Corman movies are often times ok. The 2 hour made for TV stuff by the Sci-Fi channel is not. I still want the two hours of my life back from the movie with John Rhys-Davies "Dragon Storm".  The one saving grace is that with the D&D movie it would be hard to be worse.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:22 am 

Marlith wrote:I still want the two hours of my life back from the movie with John Rhys-Davies "Dragon Storm". The one saving grace is that with the D&D movie it would be hard to be worse.

Don't feel bad. I actually payed to rent that... thing.

Next