Mint
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 pm 

Ok this is to prove I am not the numbstick Maxwell as it seems he would not be smart enough to pose even this basic question. Would you say a book was mint if it had ever been removed from its packing box for any reason once it had been sealed?

Thanks

peace unto you even if wrong.

8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 pm 

Mint means flawless, not shrinkwrapped.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:01 pm 

Great answer! My gosh that can't be it.

Love to a great modron :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:12 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Mint means flawless, not shrinkwrapped.

MINT is MINT!  When I buy something shrinwrapped I am always afraid to open it up in case it was actually re-shrunk and crap inside :(

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:40 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:Mint means flawless, not shrinkwrapped.

MINT is MINT! When I buy something shrinwrapped I am always afraid to open it up in case it was actually re-shrunk and crap inside :(

Or the staples have rusted all over the interior.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:50 am 

GraysonAC wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:

MINT is MINT! When I buy something shrinwrapped I am always afraid to open it up in case it was actually re-shrunk and crap inside :(

Or the staples have rusted all over the interior.

Or the glue has gone & it falls apart. :(

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:46 am 

Or someone deshrinked it, disemboweled a deaf albino gerbil, and spread the small intestine along the inside pages, then reshrinked it.

Common sense answer. Mint is mint.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:05 am 

Show me something you say is mint and I'll find a flaw.  Best you can ever find is Near Mint.

Mint is perfect.  Staples razor straight.  Everything centered.  Perfectly cut.  Lays flat.  Perfect gloss. Not a frayed fiber on any edge.  No printing imperfections at all.

Impossible.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:33 am 

beyerun wrote:Mint is perfect. Staples razor straight. Everything centered. Perfectly cut. Lays flat. Perfect gloss. Not a frayed fiber on any edge. No printing imperfections at all.

"Mint" never used to mean all that... "Perfect" did, perhaps, and only then, by the viewer's own definition of "perfection".

A 600 year old hammered coin may be off-centre, have flange breaks, die breaks, inclusions in the metal, etc. and still be as minted.

Similarly books "as printed" can have numerous flaws greater than a "frayed fiber" as part of that process. (I like the idea of paper that doesn't have frayed fibers ;))

IMO, the quest for perfection to such a degree (reflected in tail-wagging-dog price biases) is largely pointless and irrational when there's no level playing field in the first place.

A 3rd OD&D book set and brand new DMG can both be in the condition they were "as printed"/"as issued" yet are somehow judged not against that, but against an idealised state of "perfection".

What is everyone actually collecting, first-and-foremost; a list of grade conditions or actual content?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:18 am 

harami2000 wrote:
beyerun wrote:Mint is perfect. Staples razor straight. Everything centered. Perfectly cut. Lays flat. Perfect gloss. Not a frayed fiber on any edge. No printing imperfections at all.

"Mint" never used to mean all that... "Perfect" did, perhaps, and only then, by the viewer's own definition of "perfection".

A 600 year old hammered coin may be off-centre, have flange breaks, die breaks, inclusions in the metal, etc. and still be as minted.

Similarly books "as printed" can have numerous flaws greater than a "frayed fiber" as part of that process. (I like the idea of paper that doesn't have frayed fibers ;))

IMO, the quest for perfection to such a degree (reflected in tail-wagging-dog price biases) is largely pointless and irrational when there's no level playing field in the first place.

A 3rd OD&D book set and brand new DMG can both be in the condition they were "as printed"/"as issued" yet are somehow judged not against that, but against an idealised state of "perfection".

What is everyone actually collecting, first-and-foremost; a list of grade conditions or actual content?

Very well stated.  I think you know my answer to that question:

Anything above "SF" grade* is generally fine with me, and as a bonus, more likely to fall into my price range.  :wink:

*Revised Grading system:

Code - Explanation

----------------------

DC - Decent: No major flaws, not ripped in half.

ND - Not Decent: Often confused with Near Mint.  Possibly ripped in half.

SF - Set on Fire - Avoid.  Includes the previous "TX" (toxic) grade.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:46 am 

deimos3428 wrote:*Revised Grading system:

Code - Explanation

----------------------

DC - Decent: No major flaws, not ripped in half.

ND - Not Decent: Often confused with Near Mint. Possibly ripped in half.

SF - Set on Fire - Avoid. Includes the previous "TX" (toxic) grade.

:lol:

But generally how I think when buying.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:49 am 

beyerun wrote:Show me something you say is mint and I'll find a flaw. Best you can ever find is Near Mint.

Mint is perfect. Staples razor straight. Everything centered. Perfectly cut. Lays flat. Perfect gloss. Not a frayed fiber on any edge. No printing imperfections at all.

Impossible. :D

This is actually a very strict interpretation of what card collectors(baseball, football, MTG, etc.) use.  *<fact>* :)

It is far to hard to use this scale when grading books/booklets as for obvious reasons a book is substantially larger and has multiple pages, which be an impossible standard to use effectively.  *<opinion>* :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 am 

Actually, a completely unflawed and unused book would be either "gem mint" or "pristine mint". Most items are mint when they are printed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.