Domesday Book Questions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:29 am 

I'm in the process of writing an article that touches upon the early history of the Dungeons & Dragons game, and my research has turned up some questions about the Domesday Book (the official newsletter of the Castle and Crusade Society). I realize this is murky historical territory and that the newsletter is all but impossible to find, but I wonder if anyone can help me out with the following questions.

1. The Acaeum provides a good deal of information about issue #13, but does not list copyright information for that issue. Does anyone know the month and year of that issue's publication?

2. Do we know, roughly, how many issues of the Domesday Book were published? I seem to recall reading a suggestion that #13 was the last issue, but that would seem to contradict the suggestion in the Best of Dragon #1 (quoted on the Acaeum's Chainmail page) that Arneson provided a "series of articles" on the Blackmoor campaign to the Domesday Book.

3. Has anyone asked Rob or Gary how many issues of the Domesday Book were completed? Did the publication begin with the formation of the Society in 1968?

4. Finally, does anyone have a roster of members of the C&CS at any time during its existence?

Thanks,

Erik Mona

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:51 am 

Hiya Erik,

Long-time, no-post. :)

Unless Paul retained a copy, you'd be best to get in touch with Mike <invincibleoverlord> since he purchased that copy of #13 in the RJK auctions.

Mike hasn't been online for a few days, though;

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=335

If, on the other hand, you want to know about the early history of the Cthulhu Mythos in D&D, just let me know. *jk* :P

EGG and RJK are still best points-of-contact, I'm sure, but I never heard back from Rob on any of the other questions that were forwarded to him. :(

Regards,

David.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 pm 

I've spoken with Rob and Paul Stormberg about both subjects, Erik, and you should contact them both.  I'd start with Rob, then go to Paul; if you can't reach them for some reason, feel free to ping me and I'll share what I can from both, but you'll probably get better and more direct info by going to them first.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:10 pm 

Thanks, Allan. I owe both of them emails anyway.

--Erik