Essen & UK Gencon
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm 

Hi All,

both Essen (Spiel) and UK Gencon are fast approaching.

Anyone else (apart from myself) plan on attending them?

Cheers,

Malcolm

House Atreides

House Atreides CCG singles for sale

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:13 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,

both Essen (Spiel) and UK Gencon are fast approaching.

Anyone else (apart from myself) plan on attending them?

Cheers,

Malcolm

House Atreides

hey malc

if i can get my act into gear, i am certainly going to UK gencon. gotta sort that - must check details over weekend and get it sorted. me mate spencer might be coming over too but dunno yet like.

gonna take a wedge of cash with me too just in case :D

hope to see you there chummer

Al

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:41 pm 

Hiya,

dont forget to drop by the stall and say "hi" then

8)

If you bring money, please feel free to spend it with me, as I dont know if there'll be much else to spend it on!

Cheers,

Malcolm

House Atreides

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:49 pm 

lawrenson wrote:If you bring money, please feel free to spend it with me, as I dont know if there'll be much else to spend it on!

Sounds slightly depressing that, Malcolm.

Are you meaning only CCGs and "new stuff" for sale from other sellers?

Maybe Al should've been setting up stall, too... :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:49 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

well if i get bog-all from there i will just wait til gencon next year, which i have every intention of going to.

does sound a little crap tho that there wont be anyone flogging anything at all....dont they even have an auction? sheesh....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:34 pm 

Hiya,

owing to certain, err, "situations" in the UK I suspect that most of the stalls will be selling new stuff, as they will be shops.

UK Gencons do tend heavily towards the ccg market as well - the rpg market just isnt that big in the UK.

There is usually an auction, but somewhat depressingly consists mainly of artwork, primarily prints.

I am told there were only 1500 people at UK Gencon last year, of which 1000 were brought by the traders & demo teams (how true this is I do not know).

Given all circumstances, I would expect attendance to be down this year.

If it wasnt for being tagged onto Mrs Malcolms 36-foot of ccg singles, I wouldnt bother having a stall.

Cheers,

Malcolm

House Atreides

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:15 pm 

Thanks (I think) for that evaluation, Malcolm...

*browses around online*

@Teamcanadaonline.ca. Own it today.

"This year's UK Gen Con was a screw up in many ways. The big two were that it was in London (which is way off to one end of Britain and way too expensive) and the fact that the venue was chosen to fit Gen Con around a Magic Grand Prix event. This meant that the space for every other CCG was limited."

(I didn't understand the rest of the article... :P)

Looks like they didn't fix screw-up number one, though.

Could have sworn RPGs used to be "bigger" in the UK, once-upon-a-time... :?

Did you manage to do any decent business, despite all that?

=

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

well if i get bog-all from there i will just wait til gencon next year, which i have every intention of going to.

Nay, Al, I meant to get thineself to Bognor and (try to?) sell some goods to those Southron folk... ^^

Malcolm might have a spare stool where you could hunker down and flog Tegels on the sly from a sack under the table to those curious few who haven't yet been wholely absorbed into CCG or GW credos.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Malcolm might have a spare stool where you could hunker down and flog Tegels on the sly from a sack under the table to those curious few who haven't yet been wholely absorbed into CCG or GW credos.

deal with the southrons??!! *shudders*

nah i was gonna go for a weekend break anyway - due a break so was just a lil bit of leisure time really. if its just gonna be a CCG event, then i think i will go dig up me mum n dads garden for them or something - thats more interesting :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:49 pm 

Hi All,

Well, it depends what you want from the event.

If you want to play all weekend -- then there will be games all weekend.
Some pretty good ones, from past experience. So come along and meet the peeps!

If you want to spend money on rare items -- in all probability its not going to happen. EVERYONE who attends UK Conventions knows about ST1. Original artwork also tends to go for good money. It's a good place for games Workshop items tho. You also have to remember that the UK audience is very internet-savvy (its in 50% of homes here), and therefore use Ebay.

It all depends which other 2nd-hand rpg dealers turn up. I know of 3 other "majors", and 2 of those didn't bother last year.

Yeah, the business was OK. Whether it would be worth hiring tables, a van and a chalet for just the rpg stuff is debatable -- good luck if you try next year tho. If they decide to hold it in the same place for 2 years running I think that will help.

I think the rpg audience will be down this year as the entrance pricing structure has changed from being advantageous to the casual roleplayer, to being disadvantageous.

There did used to be more rpgs in the UK.

But we have no rpga here now (unless you join in the usa), when it used to be very strong over here. Nearly everyone who used to run the rpga events has disappeared. There are only a few "lights" keeping the hobby alive as a coagulated entity. Yes, people are still buying books and playing at home with friends, but they don't seem to be attending conventions. You see the same people every time at cons.

And, as someone said, get 100 roleplayers in a room and you have 100 different opinions. The organisers have a tendency not to get on with each other, and therefore don't work together, or share knowledge. Its extremely cliquey. I suffer as House Atreides is known for ccgs -- and many organisers of rpg cons don't like ccgs. We've been refused tables at conventions because of this, even tho we would only have been bringing rpgs.

There are no mass-market rpg mags in the UK -- so nowhere to advertise. Despite many offers to send details to our email mailing list, very few organisers have ever bothered to send us details to send round (I do it anyway, if I remember).

To be perfectly frank, it's a bit depressing. Most rpg conventions are too small to allow a trader to attend to make money. They just don't have a big enough attendance.

Cheers,
Malcolm
House Atreides

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:12 am 

Hi All,

just back from UK Gencon.

RPG sales down 70% on last year for us, and most of the other rpg dealers said roughly the same (tho the shop that were discounting heavily seemed to do better).

I know there were less than 250 roleplayers there, as the room only held 250 people.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:59 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,

just back from UK Gencon.

RPG sales down 70% on last year for us, and most of the other rpg dealers said roughly the same (tho the shop that were discounting heavily seemed to do better).

I know there were less than 250 roleplayers there, as the room only held 250 people.

Cheers,
Malcolm

hey malc

thats a damn shame that. i was really geared up to go to that, til i got reports n info that it was mostly CCG etc and not RPG stuff. that kinda put me off travelling half the country to get to it.

pretty disappointing really, but i guess thats the way things are over here huh.

Al