Wizards in the 1st edition (1971) of Chainmail
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:40 am 

Is there any difference between the entry for wizards in the 1979 printings of Chainmail and the entry for wizards in the 1st edition of Chainmail (other than the increased number of spells in the later editions)? For example, is the spell complexity chart in the 1st edition? Does the 1st edition distinguish amongst wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, magicians, and seers? Etc.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:51 am 

Geoffrey wrote:Is there any difference between the entry for wizards in the 1979 printings of Chainmail and the entry for wizards in the 1st edition of Chainmail (other than the increased number of spells in the later editions)? For example, is the spell complexity chart in the 1st edition? Does the 1st edition distinguish amongst wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, magicians, and seers? Etc.

I've got a second edition.  I don't see a spell complexity chart in that one.  As for sorcerers, warlocks, magicians, and seers, the only mention I see is:

"WIZARDS (including Sorcerers at -1, Warlocks at -2, and Magicians at -3):  This class includes Sorcerers and Warlocks."

That's one paragraph down from the top of page 28.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:47 pm 

Sorry, I don't have a 1979 printing with which to compare. :(

Am presuming that will match the earlier 3rd edition printings, although I don't think we ever heard back on that last query definitively (# of spells c/w Acaeum description?).

afoolandhis$ wrote:"WIZARDS (including Sorcerers at -1, Warlocks at -2, and Magicians at -3): This class includes Sorcerers and Warlocks."

That's one paragraph down from the top of page 28.

These were adds for the second edition.

The 1st edition only has the text "this class contains Sorcerors and Warlocks".

There are other changes between 1st & 2nd edition; for example, to the play-balance in combats between magicians of different powers.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 pm 

Thank you for the fascinating replies! :)

It sounds, then, like the 1st printing has this information under wizards:

1. their combat capability (including that they can become invisible until they attack and can see in darkness).

2. missiles (fire ball and lightning bolt)

3. spells (phantasmal forces, darkness, wizard light, detection, concealment, and conjuration of an elemental)

4. a note saying that wizards must be stationary and undisturbed to cast a spell.

And that's it.

The later printings add:

1. several spells

2. number of spells castable by wizards (6-7), sorcerers (5), warlocks (4), magicians (3), and seers (1)

3. spell distances (24" for seers, 36" for magicians, etc.)

4. moral ratings and point values for the five different grades of spell-casters

5. spell complexity chart