What to do when an eBay item is less than described?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:47 pm 

Thank you all for the input! I decided to chalk it up to "my own fault for not verifying the condition" and keep the book. If the seller didn't state he had a line of people waiting to buy it, I wouldn't have even considered sending it back. But since i knew he was gonna get his money anyway, I had to at least consider it.

Unfortunately, I have to side with the seller on this one. He described it as "great condition", you took that to mean NM/M.

I'm positive everyone here would take one look at this module and say "no way in heck is that in "great condition".  It is in average condition.  About what you'd expect from a module that's been shuffled around for 20 years.  The claim that is has been in a bag since it was taken out of the shrink is a lie.  No way can a book get that kind of scuffing/dirt from being inside a bag.  Its saving grace is that there are no marks on the inside.  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:52 pm 

Let me add that you can probably resell it, be completely honest about the condition and at the very least make your money back (and possibly a small profit).  There are no shortage of buyers who would pay $60 for a complete and decent GDQ1-7.  

Wait till there is only 1 or zero others up for auction on ebay and set it with a minimum bid of $70.00 and a BIN of $90.  Make sure you make it available worldwide and I suspect that you will come out ahead.   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Let me add that you can probably resell it, be completely honest about the condition and at the very least make your money back (and possibly a small profit). There are no shortage of buyers who would pay $60 for a complete and decent GDQ1-7.

Wait till there is only 1 or zero others up for auction on ebay and set it with a minimum bid of $70.00 and a BIN of $90. Make sure you make it available worldwide and I suspect that you will come out ahead.  :D

Then again, make sure that you list it in the correct category, because as evidenced by an auction I set up for a snipe today before I went to work(which came up short BTW   :x ):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8337883846

You may just do a little worse. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm 

BC, I'm amazed you didn't grab the Castle Greyhawk for $5 the person has. Rotten "Won't ship internationally" sellers :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:41 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:BC, I'm amazed you didn't grab the Castle Greyhawk for $5 the person has. Rotten "Won't ship internationally" sellers :(

I didnt see it. :? Then again, I already have 5(yes 5  8O ) and I probably wouldnt be able to sell it for much of a profit anyway. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:05 am 

A lot of great replies in this thread.

I just don't bid on items as much as I used to.  Too many improperly described or damaged en route.

I always ask if anyone in the household smokes, if its been water damaged, smells of smoke, mold or mildew.

Buying from the original owner really helps as well.

I've contacted people before about items that were water damaged or had mold/mildew problems.  Always had those resolved to my satistfaction.  I never deal with them again because of possible contamination of other items in their collection (I never open up stuff near my collection).

My biggest problem is poor packing of items and damage en route.  Its why I just mostly buy items to read/use now.  That way a nick or ding isn't going to really drive me up the wall.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:58 am 

beyerun wrote:I just don't bid on items as much as I used to. Too many improperly described or damaged en route.

I always ask if anyone in the household smokes, if its been water damaged, smells of smoke, mold or mildew.

Buying from the original owner really helps as well.

I've contacted people before about items that were water damaged or had mold/mildew problems. Always had those resolved to my satistfaction. I never deal with them again because of possible contamination of other items in their collection (I never open up stuff near my collection).

My biggest problem is poor packing of items and damage en route. Its why I just mostly buy items to read/use now. That way a nick or ding isn't going to really drive me up the wall.

thx. Unfortunately agreed 100% and have pretty much reached the end of my tether on most of those issues. :(

(Was also too trusting on the smoking part and had to effectively write off $300 recently. Interesting that <creep1962> is trying to obtain $1,199 for what I'm fairly sure will have a strong smoky smell, given the original seller's other lots...).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:37 am 

harami2000 wrote: thx. Unfortunately agreed 100% and have pretty much reached the end of my tether on most of those issues. :(

(Was also too trusting on the smoking part and had to effectively write off $300 recently. Interesting that <creep1962> is trying to obtain $1,199 for what I'm fairly sure will have a strong smoky smell, given the original seller's other lots...).

Polyhedrons David?  :(

Previous