Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:I suppose that makes the Cowboys' Drew Pearson SHOVING the Vikings' Nate Wright out of the way with 20 seconds left in their 1975 playoff game — in full view of the back judge — the second-worst call.

Oh, wait — there was no flag. I guess it's just the worst NON-call in NFL history.

The Super Bowl loss to the Steelers four weeks later was just God's way of making things right.

Cowboys fans ... selective memory ... discuss.

[donning +5 flame-proof armor now]

+++++

Q: How do you get Jackie Smith off your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza

Uh-oh.  Hopefully Badmike wont read this until tomorrow.  The Mavs just lost to the refs...oops sorry, I meant Heat.  :twisted:  He is probably not in the best of moods right now.

I guess it could be worse though.  Being a Cowboys fan or being a Vikings or Bills fan.  Four SB trips and nothing to show for it.  Not that I should be saying anything...I am a Cubs fan.  Futility and disgust are my middle names.  :(

How can the Mavs look like worldbeaters in two games then lose four in a row to the heat....well, when the free throw disparity is two to one in favor of the other team, and one of your best players gets suspended for a game, and then the refs keep calling those mindblowing hand check fouls....for the other team   Urgh.  I can't even talk about it right now.  Just let the teams play, unless someone clothes lines another player just let them play the damn game. I feel the same way about football, btw.  NFL cornerbacks have an absolutely impossible job because of the rules changed to promote offense...no shoving off past 5 yds, dont' breathe on the WR, etc.  That's why you don't see any good mantoman coverage anymore, it's all schemes and zones and defensive players running around like a keystone cops episode.  I think they SHOULD fight for the ball out there, using all means at their disposal, and best or most determined man wins.
    Well, Mavs lose, when does Cowboy training camp begin?
:cry:
Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:22 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I have enough faith in Mike to know that he will respond with insight, reason, and great maturity. And if he doesn't, I'll just buy another Kane book from his shop.

I forgot my favorite part about that play: Pearson actually slowing and looking back down the field, knowing he is going to be flagged for offensive interference ... and then starting his celebration only when he realizes he has gotten away with gridiron larceny.

I can't even comment on the last four basketball games I just saw this season...honestly, it perfectly destroyed the great feeling I had from a full season and three playoff series of wonderful basketball, four lousy games did that. Worst officiating of any series I've seen since the last time the refs handed a championship to the Lakers about three years ago.  Puke.
    Does it matter what Pearson did before or even after he caught the ball?  It was against the godforsaken VIKINGS, for goodness sake.  Anything that can punch a hole in the hearts of those lousy, bunghole dwelling fans is sweet.  Reminds me of when the Cowboys made the Hershel Walker Robbery, errr, trade with the Vikings and their GM and fans were predicting at least 2-3 superbowls.  Geez, try to win ONE first before getting too giddy.  A cursed franchise if I ever saw one, with the Bills, Eagles, and Jets right behind.  Might even throw the Lions in there, they've NEVER even been to a bowl, right?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:28 am 

Badmike wrote:Anything that can punch a hole in the hearts of those lousy, bunghole dwelling fans is sweet.

See, I told you. :)

Badmike wrote: Might even throw the Lions in there, they've NEVER even been to a bowl, right?

Nope, not a single one. They did, however, win the NFL championship in 1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:56 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I suppose that makes the Cowboys' Drew Pearson SHOVING the Vikings' Nate Wright out of the way with 20 seconds left in their 1975 playoff game — in full view of the back judge — the second-worst call.

Oh, wait — there was no flag. I guess it's just the worst NON-call in NFL history.

The Super Bowl loss to the Steelers four weeks later was just God's way of making things right.

+++++

Actually, I didn't see that game.  Isn't that the one where Fran Tarkenton's father died of a heart attack during the game?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:59 am 

+++++

Interestingly enough, Jackie Smith is now in the NFL Hall of Fame.  The dropped Super Bowl pass was a bad note on a great career with the Cardinals.  It was the only pass thrown to him as a Cowboy.  

Mark

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:19 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Actually, I didn't see that game.  Isn't that the one where Fran Tarkenton's father died of a heart attack during the game?

Just after, if memory serves.

And his first name?

Dallas.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:30 am 

I feel bad for the UK guys, many of whom will be waking up shortly, on what is Wednesday morning, and thinking "what is with all this bloody NFL talk?"

So here's a little somethin-somethin to tie together many of our recent discussions: soccer, tough guys, cheating, etc., etc. God save Vinnie Jones!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:33 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I feel bad for the UK guys, many of whom will be waking up shortly, on what is Wednesday morning, and thinking "what is with all this bloody NFL talk?"

So here's a little somethin-somethin to tie together many of our recent discussions: soccer, tough guys, cheating, etc., etc. God save Vinnie Jones!

[ Image ]

i dont mind NFL talk so long as its interesting.

BUT for a bonus point US chapsters....WHO is the other guy in the pic and what are the two teams playing?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:33 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Surely you've sung the Lions' "Gridiron Heroes" before? *

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

What's there left to fight for?

I feel sorry for the Lions.  Terrible city, woeful team.  But the fans seem dedicated enough.

And who'd they draft this year?  Another waterboy?

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:35 am 

killjoy32 wrote:BUT for a bonus point US chapsters....WHO is the other guy in the pic and what are the two teams playing?

Al

Moe, from the Three Stooges?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:43 am 

Paul Gascoigne. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:49 am 

bombadil wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:BUT for a bonus point US chapsters....WHO is the other guy in the pic and what are the two teams playing?

Al

Moe, from the Three Stooges?

nope :)

well now you have to issue one rare item to each of the acaeum members now.

better luck next time  :twisted:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:50 am 

bclarkie wrote:Paul Gascoigne. :twisted:

well done.... and the teams?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:09 pm 

*cough*Wimbledon*cough*

+++++

I'll wait and see if someone can get the other one ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:17 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Isolated, here on the edge of the Western World, I could be a Seattle Seahawks fan.....

....and they are the local team and I do like them......

....but I was born in the shadow of Texas Stadium, and my first memory of the game was my father pointing to the TV and saying, "Son, look at this.  The Dallas Cowboys......"

My destiny was fixed to the Lone Star.

Mark   8)

(Badmike wipes tear from his eye has he stands holding a flag with the silver and blue star...)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Badmike wrote:Anything that can punch a hole in the hearts of those lousy, bunghole dwelling fans is sweet.

See, I told you. :)

Badmike wrote: Might even throw the Lions in there, they've NEVER even been to a bowl, right?

Nope, not a single one. They did, however, win the NFL championship in 1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957.

I don't mean to crap on the Lions fans...I actually feel for them (unlike Eagles, Redskins and Giants fans who I wish would be dumped in a stadium sized hole of poop and set aflame  :twisted: ).  They are pretty loyal and have mostly been patient with terrible management through the years, topped off by Barry Sanders turning his back on the franchise while in his prime.  But who could blame him, they never surrounded him with the offensive line Emmitt Smith had, he just had more years of 5-11 seasons until he was battered into retirement anyway. Still, I always thought that was rather a classless move on Sanders part, and a kick in the teeth to the fans.
 Always have fond memories of the 90's Lions...my fantasy team had the incredible 1-2 punch of Herman Moore and Brett Perrimen at WR when they were in their prime, won lots of games with those big numbers they put up every week.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I feel bad for the UK guys, many of whom will be waking up shortly, on what is Wednesday morning, and thinking "what is with all this bloody NFL talk?"

[ Image ]

Dont know about the rest of you, but the guy on the right looks like he is enjoying himself.

(unlike Eagles, Redskins and Giants fans who I wish would be dumped in a stadium sized hole of poop and set aflame  ).

Water shot out my nose when I read this...no joke!  :lol:   I cant think of any other division in football that hates each other as much as the NFC East.  Bears/Vikings/Green Bay...nope.  Denver/KC/Oakland...uh-uh.  Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cinci....I dont think so.  Every Dallas fan I know hates every player from Washington, Philly, or the NY Giants.  Even though the traditional rival of the Cowboys is the Redskins, I give them some respect.  I dont have any respect for any player from the Eagles or Giants.

A few years ago, a guy in my office who is a Giants fan, put a poster up in the office after the Giants won a game against the Cowboys.  He went around badmouthing the Cowboys and just making a major nuisance of himself.  When he wasnt looking I ended up ripping the poster off the wall and crumpling it up into a very small ball.  He found it a few days later in the back of one of his desk drawers.  He ended up going to HR and complaining about destruction of public property.  The pro-Cowboys HR director told him that he could not put anything up in the office that might offend others.  And since they didnt know who did it that there was nothing they could do.  I though that justice was truly served that day.  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:05 pm 

I snorted out loud (in the library, no less) when I read about the Giants, eagles and Redskins fans burning up in a stadium of flaming poop.

I hate those guys...especially the eagles fans.  philadelphia's veterans stadium was the only NFL park with a jail and courtroom built right into it.  That about says it all for the eagles fans.

I respect the Redskins...noble foes....but the eagles and philadelphia suck doody.

That is what's so ironic about T.O.....he was such a perfect example of an eagle player.  Now, the joke is on the Cowboys unless they beat the eagles.

Mark   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111