Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 51 of 111123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Forward down the field...A Lion team that will not yield...

Just a small snippet of the Lions fight song...ah yes...glorious. :D

Whose fight song?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:22 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Plaag wrote:
And who won those first two games, say it with me: P-A-C-K-E-R-S (doesn't really work the same as the Jets chant :wink: )

ShaneG.

Did you say Packers?  I can't hear you that well with all these damn SB rings making all this noise hear in Pittsburgh. :P

Hey, congrats, nice that you Steelers fans FINALLY caught up with the Dallas Cowboys this year and made it five rings...we've been waiting for you since 1995 when we beat...oh yeh, the Steelers...to get Ring #5  :P

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:25 pm 

bombadil wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Being both an offensive & defewnsive lineman, I can remember coming home from football practice with feckin welts and black & blue marks up and down my arms were there weren't any pads.   The best way I ever heard professional football described was by someone during an interview who said that "It's like being in an automobile accident everty week", its really that brutal.

Lineman, eh?  My sympathies.  You must be tough, though.  I played receiver, tight-end, defensive end, and safety.  All the gravy positions.

Yeah, it was stupid of Big Ben to ride without a helmet, but he's fine, and his career will be most stellar among all the greats who have played that position.  The guy just has a totally unique and indefeatable mindset.  It's going to be a pleasure watching him progress.

What was Big Ben thinking? Then again, it shouldn't hurt the Steelers chances...they won the game in SPITE of Ben this year (didn't he end up with the worst QB rating of a winning QB in SB history?)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:31 pm 

Mike, you crack me up time and again.  You're right, of course, on both counts.  Plus, the Cowboys have this cheerleader tradition that is unmatched among other teams.  But didn't the Steelers have the first cheerleaders, even though they don't have a squad anymore?

Good luck with T.O. this season.  Damn shame the Eagles f*cked up on that one.  I can't wait for the first Cowboys-Eagles game this year, though.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:38 pm 

Badmike wrote:Hey, congrats, nice that you Steelers fans FINALLY caught up with the Dallas Cowboys this year and made it five rings...we've been waiting for you since 1995 when we beat...oh yeh, the Steelers...to get Ring #5  :P

Mike B.

I think that still makes us 2-1 versus the Cowboys in Superbowls. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:57 pm 

bombadil wrote:Good luck with T.O. this season.  Damn shame the Eagles f*cked up on that one.  I can't wait for the first Cowboys-Eagles game this year, though.

You know, as much as I despise Terrell Owens and really wasnt planning on watching any Cowboys games this year simply because of the fact that I despise Terrell Owens....I will probably watch the games against the Eagles in the hopes that he does something completely idiotic like take a dump on the field or beat the crap out of a fan or two.  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:04 pm 

The thing about rugby and american football is that they look similar, but are really rather different. I've played a lot of rugby, but I also trained with a gridiron team in Sydney for a few weeks. I've also watched a fair bit of the game on TV. And I was lucky enough to see one game live, in San Francisco back in 1996 - the 49ers against Green Bay in a playoff game.

I think that both games are fantastic, and brutal, and the size of the impacts are pretty similar. The difference is that in rugby you don't get hit nearly as often - you might take say 15 collisions in a game, both hitting the ball up or tackling. But in gridiron, you take a hit on just about every down.

Another difference is in rugby if you're hurting, you can tone down your involvement a little - there's been times when I've been hurt, so I don't go looking to take to ball up, and in defence I head to the quiet side of the ruck. But in gridiron, there's no hiding - you have your job to do for every play, and thats going to involve either hitting or getting hit by someone.

The main advantage to rugby, and the reason I love playing is that you're not restricted to just one job - I'm expected to tackle, run, pass, kick - the works. Much more fun than just battering yourself against another lineman all day.

I've got a game this Saturday - we're on top of the table, and are playing the 2nd placed team. Should be fun.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:05 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
bombadil wrote:Good luck with T.O. this season.  Damn shame the Eagles f*cked up on that one.  I can't wait for the first Cowboys-Eagles game this year, though.

You know, as much as I despise Terrell Owens and really wasnt planning on watching any Cowboys games this year simply because of the fact that I despise Terrell Owens....I will probably watch the games against the Eagles in the hopes that he does something completely idiotic like take a dump on the field or beat the crap out of a fan or two.  8O

Hopefully getting really loaded with Shiner every Sunday will help me take the pain of seeing T.O. in a Cowboys uniform.  Hey, if he DOES take a dump on the Eagles field though I might have to run out and buy a T.O. jersey...THAAAAAAAAATS Entertainment! (Although for Eagles fans it might be business as usual, I have mental images of them flinging poo at T.O. like the primates do in the Monkey House at the zoo....) :P

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:06 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Badmike wrote:Hey, congrats, nice that you Steelers fans FINALLY caught up with the Dallas Cowboys this year and made it five rings...we've been waiting for you since 1995 when we beat...oh yeh, the Steelers...to get Ring #5  :P

Mike B.

On bad nights when I'm having acid flashbacks I still see the Jackie Smith dropped TD pass like it's happening right in front of me..... :cry:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:14 pm 

I have the DVD of that SB.  Beautiful moment.  As was the moment afterward, when they showed Staubach's expression.

Instead of taking a dump on the field or beating the hell out of an Eagles fan, maybe T.O. will take a dump on Andy Reid and beat the hell out of him...simultaneously.

I absolutely love T.O.  Seriously.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:I have the DVD of that SB.  Beautiful moment.  As was the moment afterward, when they showed Staubach's expression.

Staubach could have just HANDED him the ball I guess...since Smith had trouble catching a pass right in his hands. Worst choke in superbowl history after Norwood's Wide Right.  Sheesh.

Instead of taking a dump on the field or beating the hell out of an Eagles fan, maybe T.O. will take a dump on Andy Reid and beat the hell out of him...simultaneously.

I absolutely love T.O.  Seriously

Not only will I BUY a T.O. jersey if that happens, I'll have his number tattooed on my left buttock. Seriously.  8O

Mike B.

I

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:39 pm 

Isolated, here on the edge of the Western World, I could be a Seattle Seahawks fan.....

....and they are the local team and I do like them......

....but I was born in the shadow of Texas Stadium, and my first memory of the game was my father pointing to the TV and saying, "Son, look at this.  The Dallas Cowboys......"

My destiny was fixed to the Lone Star.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Mike B.

Boy...them thar Cowboys have lost more Super Bowls than most other teams are ever gonna see.  It goes with the territory.  Being a Cowboys fan has meant five Super Bowl wins...and uncounted NFC Championship game losses.  Loving the Cowboys usually means falling from the heights... :x ...but any other team would love to take the same ride.   :D

Mark    8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:46 pm 

bombadil wrote:I have the DVD of that SB.  Beautiful moment.  As was the moment afterward, when they showed Staubach's expression.

I absolutely love T.O.  Seriously.

The moment from that game that is seared upon my mind.....

Lynn Swann pushes down Benny Barnes....and they call pass interference....on Barnes  8O ....giving the Super Bowl to the Steelers.

Worst call in NFL history....even after the most recent Super Bowl officiating fiasco.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:14 am 

I suppose that makes the Cowboys' Drew Pearson SHOVING the Vikings' Nate Wright out of the way with 20 seconds left in their 1975 playoff game — in full view of the back judge — the second-worst call.

Oh, wait — there was no flag. I guess it's just the worst NON-call in NFL history.

The Super Bowl loss to the Steelers four weeks later was just God's way of making things right.

Cowboys fans ... selective memory ... discuss.

[donning +5 flame-proof armor now]

+++++

Q: How do you get Jackie Smith off your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:22 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I suppose that makes the Cowboys' Drew Pearson SHOVING the Vikings' Nate Wright out of the way with 20 seconds left in their 1975 playoff game — in full view of the back judge — the second-worst call.

Oh, wait — there was no flag. I guess it's just the worst NON-call in NFL history.

The Super Bowl loss to the Steelers four weeks later was just God's way of making things right.

Cowboys fans ... selective memory ... discuss.

[donning +5 flame-proof armor now]

+++++

Q: How do you get Jackie Smith off your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza

Uh-oh.  Hopefully Badmike wont read this until tomorrow.  The Mavs just lost to the refs...oops sorry, I meant Heat.  :twisted:  He is probably not in the best of moods right now.

I guess it could be worse though.  Being a Cowboys fan or being a Vikings or Bills fan.  Four SB trips and nothing to show for it.  Not that I should be saying anything...I am a Cubs fan.  Futility and disgust are my middle names.  :(

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:34 am 

I have enough faith in Mike to know that he will respond with insight, reason, and great maturity. And if he doesn't, I'll just buy another Kane book from his shop.

I forgot my favorite part about that play: Pearson actually slowing and looking back down the field, knowing he is going to be flagged for offensive interference ... and then starting his celebration only when he realizes he has gotten away with gridiron larceny.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:41 am 

bombadil wrote:Whose fight song?

Surely you've sung the Lions' "Gridiron Heroes" before? *

Forward down the field,
A charging team that will not yield.
And when the Blue and Silver wave,
Stand and cheer the brave.
Rah, Rah, Rah.
Go hard, win the game.
With honor you will keep your fame.
Down the field and gain,
A Lion victory!

+++++

* Stop calling me Shirley

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 51 of 111123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 109110111