Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 111123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:43 pm 

Mark, you have made several good points.  It's not just the physicality of the game, or the endurance involved, it's a matter of getting hit hard by a guy like this:

Or this (that's Tatum in #32):

And then a question of whether you can get up again or not.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:53 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Have any of you Europeans been to an American NFL game? The whole....spectacle of it....!

Mark   8)

i was in new york for the millennium (was great fun). while i was there, i tried to get tickets to go see the new york jets, but couldnt get them. have always wanted to go watch a game tbh, but hey maybe one day.

mark, if youre on about sheer intensity, try and check out the australian rugby league state-of-origin games. rugby doesnt get much more intense than that. our aussie friends here will second that one all the way!

i think each sport has its advantages - would most definately be an interesting occasion!

only bit of american football history i know is the jets team of the late 60's/early 70's - they won a superbowl around that time didnt they? joe namath was QB iirc. they were a grat team werent they?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:00 pm 

Take it from someone who has played football, hockey and an occasional fun rugby match.  Football is by far is the most violent game that I ever played, bar none.  I can remeber coming home from 2 a days and feeling like I had just been run over by a car. Granted we didn't have to run as much as the soccer players in HS, but I can guarantee you that they were no where near as tired at the end of the day as we were.  We used to have to run a ton for baseball(for whatever reason  :? ) and I never came anywhere close to feeling after baseball practice how I felt after one of our 2 a days.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:02 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:only bit of american football history i know is the jets team of the late 60's/early 70's - they won a superbowl around that time didnt they? joe namath was QB iirc. they were a grat team werent they?

The 1968 Jets team will never be forgotten ... the short version of the story is that they came from the "rebel" upstart league (the American Football League) and beat the best team from the established, boring league (the National Football League) to win Super Bowl III.

+++++

Want to win a bar bet? Say that that Jets team won the first Super Bowl — and you'll be right. The first two games were known as the "NFL-AFL World Championship Game." Super Bowl III created the names of SBs I and II, much like World War II created the modern name for World War I.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm 

go check out this page:

Your Daily Media

scroll down a little and you will see a media clip of some big rugby league hits - its quite fun to watch.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:19 pm 

Al, I'm a Jets fan, too (but, as Brian knows, Steelers fan first).  I can get GREAT tickets at no cost if you're serious about taking in a game, but give me a few months' advance notice.  

Brian, I know what you mean about 2-a-days.  I never played soccer (only football, wrestling, track, baseball, and basketball).  But among the sports I played, football was the toughest, both physically and mentally.  The mental aspect of it is huge.  Just watch the Jim Brown documentary if you ever get a chance.  Greatest running back of all time.  He would lie on the field after getting tackled, take his time getting up, act like he was hurt, and the defense would think, hey we got him that time.  Next play, he would run straight at the guy who had just taken him down, and knock him on his ass.  Very tough mental player.  And of course, a huge and very strong guy.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:20 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Want to win a bar bet? Say that that Jets team won the first Super Bowl — and you'll be right. The first two games were known as the "NFL-AFL World Championship Game." Super Bowl III created the names of SBs I and II, much like World War II created the modern name for World War I.

And who won those first two games, say it with me: P-A-C-K-E-R-S (doesn't really work the same as the Jets chant :wink: )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 pm 

Plus, most Packers fans can't spell (due to inebriation, you know)

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:22 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Want to win a bar bet? Say that that Jets team won the first Super Bowl — and you'll be right. The first two games were known as the "NFL-AFL World Championship Game." Super Bowl III created the names of SBs I and II, much like World War II created the modern name for World War I.

And who won those first two games, say it with me: P-A-C-K-E-R-S (doesn't really work the same as the Jets chant :wink: )

ShaneG.

Did you say Packers?  I can't hear you that well with all these damn SB rings making all this noise hear in Pittsburgh. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:25 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

Did you say Packers?  I can't hear you that well with all these damn SB rings making all this noise hear in Pittsburgh. :P

Oh, when poor Ben gets smacked on the field, we'll see just how many more rings you'll be getting - NADA - though there shall be many going on in his head. :P

Green Bay all the way this year!!!

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:Brian, I know what you mean about 2-a-days.  I never played soccer (only football, wrestling, track, baseball, and basketball).  But among the sports I played, football was the toughest, both physically and mentally.

I think that people also forget that wearing pads can work both ways. The pads are great for the areas that they protect, but in the areas that they don't protect they make life difficult to say the least.  Being both an offensive & defewnsive lineman, I can remember coming home from football practice with feckin welts and black & blue marks up and down my arms were there weren't any pads.   The best way I ever heard professional football described was by someone during an interview who said that "It's like being in an automobile accident everty week", its really that brutal.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:42 pm 

Plaag wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

Oh, when poor Ben gets smacked on the field, we'll see just how many more rings you'll be getting - NADA - though there shall be many going on in his head. :P

Green Bay all the way this year!!!

ShaneG.

Thats it pick on a man when he is down...have to say one should wonder about someone worth millions of dollars not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle though. Hope he is ok to play this season.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Being both an offensive & defewnsive lineman, I can remember coming home from football practice with feckin welts and black & blue marks up and down my arms were there weren't any pads.   The best way I ever heard professional football described was by someone during an interview who said that "It's like being in an automobile accident everty week", its really that brutal.

Lineman, eh?  My sympathies.  You must be tough, though.  I played receiver, tight-end, defensive end, and safety.  All the gravy positions.

Yeah, it was stupid of Big Ben to ride without a helmet, but he's fine, and his career will be most stellar among all the greats who have played that position.  The guy just has a totally unique and indefeatable mindset.  It's going to be a pleasure watching him progress.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:54 pm 

1968 - great year that :D

yeah that was the jets team i was thinking of. they did a thing on tv here once, where they put all the best teams through history and thru tv coolness, they played each other. from what i remember the jets '68 team didnt win it though, but i cant remember who did....did anyone see that? it was a lot of years ago now, that they did it....

first NFL game i ever watched over here was a superbowl and the washington redskins were playing - only thing i remember about it was that running back, john riggins....now HE is one tough mofo i will give him that!!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:55 pm 

Marlith wrote:
Thats it pick on a man when he is down...have to say one should wonder about someone worth millions of dollars not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle though. Hope he is ok to play this season.

Yeah, he has no football hindering injuries which is a good thing other then the fact that he is alive from that ordeal.
Course the bad thing from this is the woman that drove the car that hit him has been getting death threats.

And actually I don't really mean it, just part of the ribbing football fans like to place on another team. I wanted the Steelers to go all the way last year, hell the games were more fun to watch then what the Packers put forth.  I hope they do well again this year (would be a great Super Bowl if both Steelers and Packers made it).

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:57 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:1968 - great year that :D

Don't give your age away like that :wink:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:00 pm 

bombadil wrote:Lineman, eh?  My sympathies.  You must be tough, though.  I played receiver, tight-end, defensive end, and safety.  All the gravy positions.

Yeah, it was stupid of Big Ben to ride without a helmet, but he's fine, and his career will be most stellar among all the greats who have played that position.  The guy just has a totally unique and indefeatable mindset.  It's going to be a pleasure watching him progress.

back over here, i played Rugby League for a local team called "West Bank" and also played for "Runcorn" - i remember one time i had badly sprained my wrist...it was that bad i could hardly feel my hand, couldnt pick anything up or clasp my hand etc. we had a game and were one man short, so i took my gear "just in case" i had to play. i strapped my hand and wrist up with two bandages and basically it was solid :) i couldnt feel a thing and they asked me to go on with about 20 mins to go....

first tackle and i remember it well, was one of their huge forwards (the team were called nutgrove and the final score was 4-4) broke our line shoving away two defenders....this guy must have been about 50lbs heavier than me and thats no joke - i hit him from the blind side - in fact i hit him so hard, we both flew into the spectators at the edge of the pitch and went sliding out onto the concrete off the pitch!! i got up and walked back and he took a while to get his bearings :) was an amazing buzz as when i hit him you heard everyone go "OOOOOOOOOOOO" after the game, we shook hands and he said to me that that was the hardest that anyone had hit him for years and didnt think someone my size could do that :D

no bloody wonder my shoulder is in a bad way these days  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:01 pm 

Forward down the field...A Lion team that will not yield...

Just a small snippet of the Lions fight song...ah yes...glorious. :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 111123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 109110111